Topics

Power Output TM-D700A Troubleshooting

WD8ARZ <wd8arz@...>

Good morning Larry,

Few things to verify.
- Make sure the power supply is supplying the right voltage, and can support about 15 amps current.
- Test into a dummy load in case the coax or antenna have developed a problem. Verify tight connections and good swr.
- If using an arc suppressor in line, take it out and test for proper swr and power output. Some times they go bad with or out lightning exposure.
- Check the power cable for loose connections, especially at the fuse holders. Open those fuse holders up and remove and reinsert the fuses to make sure.
- Transistors done go soft like tubes, and tend to fail shorted ... leaving you with no output and maybe a blown fuse in the power cord or in the radio.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ

On 7/16/2014 9:32 PM, 'LARRY J. FORD' lford@... [TMD700A] wrote:
Group:

My TM-D700A is putting out only 25 watts (+-) on 2 meters and 15 watts (+-) on UHF.

It is set to "H"(igh) power setting.  If the rig has two power output transistors in the PA section, I suspect one (or both) has gone "soft."

Any ideas or referrals to a qualified, reputable repair shop for a bench check and possible repairs?

Although I have suspected the issue for some time, in getting ready for the "Golden Packet" event this Sunday, I had the rig in the shack to program it for the event,  and hooked it up to a good power supply and good watt meter, so I know it's not likely a supply issue, and the power output measurement is reasonably accurate.

Thanks.
Larry J. Ford
K4AEC

Larry J. Ford

Bill,

Good thoughts, and I will go through your checklist; however, as I posted, the
power supply is a known good supply, an Astron RM-60, good for 50 amps
continuous duty, so it's not likely a current issue.

I will check the voltage output tonight, although my IC-7200 which runs off
that PS when working HF has full output. I will also run through the rest of
the list tonight. Hopefully, it is a fixable problem.

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC

[...]

Bob Myers

Larry, how quickly do youneed this radio? I have 2 of these for sale, one may be sold, pending receipt of money

Bob Myers
N4RWM

> - Make sure the power supply is supplying the right voltage, and can
> support about 15 amps current.
> - Test into a dummy load in case the coax or antenna have developed a
> problem. Verify tight connections and good swr.
> - If using an arc suppressor in line, take it out and test for proper
> swr and power output. Some times they go bad with or out lightning
exposure.
> - Check the power cable for loose connections, especially at the fuse
> holders. Open those fuse holders up and remove and reinsert the fuses to
> make sure.
> - Transistors done go soft like tubes, and tend to fail shorted ...
> leaving you with no output and maybe a blown fuse in the power cord or
> in the radio.
>
> Good luck and let us know what you find out.
>
> 73 from Bill - WD8ARZ
>
> On 7/16/2014 9:32 PM, 'LARRY J. FORD' lford@... [TMD700A] wrote:
> >
> > Group:
> >
> > My TM-D700A is putting out only 25 watts (+-) on 2 meters and 15 watts
> > (+-) on UHF.
> >
> > It is set to "H"(igh) power setting. If the rig has two power output
> > transistors in the PA section, I suspect one (or both) has gone "soft."
> >
> > Any ideas or referrals to a qualified, reputable repair shop for a
> > bench check and possible repairs?
> >
> > Although I have suspected the issue for some time, in getting ready
> > for the "Golden Packet" event this Sunday, I had the rig in the shack
> > to program it for the event, and hooked it up to a good power supply
> > and good watt meter, so I know it's not likely a supply issue, and the
> > power output measurement is reasonably accurate.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Larry J. Ford
> > K4AEC

Ira Betts <imb123@...>

I take it I won't be getting any photos. I was prepared to make you an offer on both of them.

Larry, how quickly do youneed this radio? I have 2 of these for sale, one may be sold, pending receipt of money

Bob Myers
N4RWM

> - Make sure the power supply is supplying the right voltage, and can
> support about 15 amps current.
> - Test into a dummy load in case the coax or antenna have developed a
> problem. Verify tight connections and good swr.
> - If using an arc suppressor in line, take it out and test for proper
> swr and power output. Some times they go bad with or out lightning
exposure.
> - Check the power cable for loose connections, especially at the fuse
> holders. Open those fuse holders up and remove and reinsert the fuses to
> make sure.
> - Transistors done go soft like tubes, and tend to fail shorted ...
> leaving you with no output and maybe a blown fuse in the power cord or
> in the radio.
>
> Good luck and let us know what you find out.
>
> 73 from Bill - WD8ARZ
>
> On 7/16/2014 9:32 PM, 'LARRY J. FORD' lford@... [TMD700A] wrote:
> >
> > Group:
> >
> > My TM-D700A is putting out only 25 watts (+-) on 2 meters and 15 watts
> > (+-) on UHF.
> >
> > It is set to "H"(igh) power setting. If the rig has two power output
> > transistors in the PA section, I suspect one (or both) has gone "soft."
> >
> > Any ideas or referrals to a qualified, reputable repair shop for a
> > bench check and possible repairs?
> >
> > Although I have suspected the issue for some time, in getting ready
> > for the "Golden Packet" event this Sunday, I had the rig in the shack
> > to program it for the event, and hooked it up to a good power supply
> > and good watt meter, so I know it's not likely a supply issue, and the
> > power output measurement is reasonably accurate.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Larry J. Ford
> > K4AEC

Larry J. Ford

I would need it by Sunday to use for the event, probably not time to make a
deal as the overnight shipping would be cost-prohibitive.

Just out of curiosity, however, how much do you want, where are you located
and have you tested and can confirm the power output?

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC

[...]

Ira, I sent you pictures, told you I did not have the original boxes and you never responded. Sorry if we lost communication. Call me if you want, otherwise one of them may be sold by supper time today My phone number is on qrz under my call

Bob Myers
N4RWM