Topics

Packet Path

w0web <w0web@...>

What is the best path to use? before I piss everyone off by doing it wrong.

I'm using a TM-D700 and a AvMap G4T.

I hit the reset button by mistake and of course I didn't back up my radio files, so I get to start over from the beginning

Thanks in advance
W0WEB

John K9IJ <john@...>

At 08:56 PM 4/21/2012, you wrote:
What is the best path to use? before I piss everyone off by doing it wrong.

I'm using a TM-D700 and a AvMap G4T.

I hit the reset button by mistake and of course I didn't back up my radio files, so I get to start over from the beginning
For a mobile WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1

For a Base WIDE2-2

Are a good place to start.

John - K9IJ

-

John Rice K9IJ
john@...
Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

w0web <w0web@...>

Should I take the word "RELAY" out of the path?

the way it reads now
Relay,Wide1-1,Wide2-1,
or should it be
Wide1-1,Wide2-1,
any help is really great
Thanks
w0web

--- In TMD700A@..., John K9IJ <john@...> wrote:

At 08:56 PM 4/21/2012, you wrote:
What is the best path to use? before I piss everyone off by doing it wrong.

I'm using a TM-D700 and a AvMap G4T.

I hit the reset button by mistake and of course I didn't back up my
radio files, so I get to start over from the beginning
For a mobile WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1

For a Base WIDE2-2

Are a good place to start.

John - K9IJ

-

John Rice K9IJ
john@...
Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

Randy Allen

ABSOLUTELY!

"RELAY" is obsolete in the US and shouldn't be used. Functionally (and oversimplifying) RELAY was replaced by WIDE1-1.

73

Randy

--- In TMD700A@... <mailto:TMD700A%40yahoogroups.com>, John

--
Randy Allen, KA�AZS

w0web <w0web@...>

Thank you Randy, Wide1-1,Wide2-1, will

K9IJ <john@> wrote:

> At 08:56 PM 4/21/2012, you wrote:
> >What is the best path to use? before I piss everyone off by doing it
wrong.

> >I'm using a TM-D700 and a AvMap G4T.
> >
> >I hit the reset button by mistake and of course I didn't back up my
> >radio files, so I get to start over from the beginning
>
> For a mobile WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
>
> For a Base WIDE2-2
>
> Are a good place to start.
>
> John - K9IJ
>
> -
>
> John Rice K9IJ
> john@
> Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

--
Randy Allen, KAØAZS

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

Any use sending out APRS "reports" if we don't have a mobile GPS (yet) to feed
actual positions reports to the rig?

Larry J. Ford
KG4GPJ

What is the best path to use? before I piss everyone off by doing it
wrong.

I'm using a TM-D700 and a AvMap G4T.

I hit the reset button by mistake and of course I didn't back up my
radio files, so I get to start over from the beginning
For a mobile WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1

For a Base WIDE2-2

Are a good place to start.

John - K9IJ

-

John Rice K9IJ
john@...
Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

Also, do we need to put the "name" (ALIAS?) of the local APRS node (or
digipeater) in the path (or somewhere)?

Larry J. Ford
KG4GPJ

What is the best path to use? before I piss everyone off by doing it
wrong.

I'm using a TM-D700 and a AvMap G4T.

I hit the reset button by mistake and of course I didn't back up my
radio files, so I get to start over from the beginning
For a mobile WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1

For a Base WIDE2-2

Are a good place to start.

John - K9IJ

-

John Rice K9IJ
john@...
Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

Randy Allen

No. Home fill in stations should respond to WIDE1-1, feeding your position to local Digipeaters which will respond (or will respond directly if they hear you) to WIDE2-1, etc.

That path (WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2)should allow you to get into the system anywhere in the US (assuming you are within range of an APRS station).

Off the top of my head the only reason to put in a specific digipeater ID is during a special event and you want to ensure that all traffic is passing through that station.

There are other specialized paths to help shape propagation (limit it to a specific State, direction of "travel" of the packet, etc. Not supported by all digis and I don't have the specifics handy).

Hope this helps

73

On 4/22/2012 09:49, LARRY J. FORD wrote:
Also, do we need to put the "name" (ALIAS?) of the local APRS node (or
digipeater) in the path (or somewhere)?

Larry J. Ford
KG4GPJ

> >What is the best path to use? before I piss everyone off by doing it
wrong.

> >I'm using a TM-D700 and a AvMap G4T.
> >
> >I hit the reset button by mistake and of course I didn't back up my
> >radio files, so I get to start over from the beginning
>
> For a mobile WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
>
> For a Base WIDE2-2
>
> Are a good place to start.
>
> John - K9IJ
>
> -
>
> John Rice K9IJ
> john@... <mailto:john%40k9ij.net>
> Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

--
Randy Allen, KA�AZS

Randy Allen

You have 5 (IIRC) position slots in the D700 that you can pre-load coordinates into. So you could have one set for home, one set for work, one set for a special event assembly area or rest stop, etc.

You could then just select the appropriate location and have the unit beacon that, so whomever (CINCHOUSE, Net Control, etc)can see that you have arrived and are in place.

You could do the same with Status beacons, but position-less status beacons don't always show up well on some equipment/clients unless you happen to be looking at the screen when it comes in.

Using a preloaded position also allows you to get a range/bearing on received stations.

And of course, you still have the messaging capability.

Hope this helps

73

On 4/22/2012 09:46, LARRY J. FORD wrote:
Any use sending out APRS "reports" if we don't have a mobile GPS (yet)
to feed
actual positions reports to the rig?

Larry J. Ford
KG4GPJ

> >What is the best path to use? before I piss everyone off by doing it
wrong.

> >I'm using a TM-D700 and a AvMap G4T.
> >
> >I hit the reset button by mistake and of course I didn't back up my
> >radio files, so I get to start over from the beginning
>
> For a mobile WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
>
> For a Base WIDE2-2
>
> Are a good place to start.
>
> John - K9IJ
>
> -
>
> John Rice K9IJ
> john@... <mailto:john%40k9ij.net>
> Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

--
Randy Allen, KA�AZS

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

I've got the "Home QTH" position coordinates loaded in, but right now don't
have a mobile GPS installed to feed position info to the TM-D700A for "moving
reports."

I do have about a 10 year old GARMIN 295 Aviation GPS that I got a cable for
on eBay to "mate" with the TM-D700A. It will output GPS info in the format(s)
accepted by the D700A; I just don't have it installed in the vehicle yet.

Perhaps that's why my APRS "beacon TX" reports are not showing up on the APRS
web sites, there's no mobile position info being transmitted.

Still trying to figure all this out.

Larry J. Ford
KG4GPJ

> >What is the best path to use? before I piss everyone off by doing it
wrong.

> >I'm using a TM-D700 and a AvMap G4T.
> >
> >I hit the reset button by mistake and of course I didn't back up my
> >radio files, so I get to start over from the beginning
>
> For a mobile WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
>
> For a Base WIDE2-2
>
> Are a good place to start.
>
> John - K9IJ
>
> -
>
> John Rice K9IJ
> john@... <mailto:john%40k9ij.net>
> Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

--
Randy Allen, KAØAZS

R. Patrick Ryan

FYI, the TM-D700A allows you to store 5 positions for manual reporting of
position, like Home, Work, Club. Dock, etc.
I use position 3 for live NMEA 103 type GPS data in the APRS decimal
format, but can select the soft key "USE" fort the remaining four locations
by menu selection. And once your have a GPS connected - you can save a stop
location to those other four storage locations, too.
Enjoy the TM-D700A, mine is still working as KC6VVT-14, kind of, with a
nearly unreadable Garmin GPS-45 handheld connected, both beat up after many
years mobile. Eventually may have to switch to the dreaded TM-D710A, with a
far different and complex menu than the D700A.

73 de Pat KC6VVT

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM, LARRY J. FORD <lford@...> wrote:

I've got the "Home QTH" position coordinates loaded in, but right now don't
have a mobile GPS installed to feed position info to the TM-D700A for
"moving
reports."

I do have about a 10 year old GARMIN 295 Aviation GPS that I got a cable
for
on eBay to "mate" with the TM-D700A. It will output GPS info in the
format(s)
accepted by the D700A; I just don't have it installed in the vehicle yet.

Perhaps that's why my APRS "beacon TX" reports are not showing up on the
APRS
web sites, there's no mobile position info being transmitted.

Still trying to figure all this out.

Larry J. Ford
KG4GPJ

> >What is the best path to use? before I piss everyone off by doing
it
wrong.

> >I'm using a TM-D700 and a AvMap G4T.
> >
> >I hit the reset button by mistake and of course I didn't back up my
> >radio files, so I get to start over from the beginning
>
> For a mobile WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
>
> For a Base WIDE2-2
>
> Are a good place to start.
>
> John - K9IJ
>
> -
>
> John Rice K9IJ
> john@... <mailto:john%40k9ij.net>
> Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

--
Randy Allen, KAØAZS

R. Patrick Ryan
ARS: KC6VVT

@KC6VVT

noskosteve

George,

While it sounds like you're not really a beginner, you can look here for some of the latest information:

Up to date APRS Beginner Guide - updated Oct-2011
http://K9DCI.home.comcast.net
Click the APRS Beginner INFO link under Contact

73, Steve, K9DCI