Topics

Operation without faceplate

young_gun262001@...

Just a quick question.

I intend to have the radio in the trunk of my care solely for APRS tied in to a PI. Question is, can the radio operate without the faceplate? I know i can turn it on and off via the serial port, but i was just curious as there is no reason to have the faceplate in the trunk.

I have no need for the plate up front because i already have 2 radios up there. Just trying to use what i have and not spend money LOL.

charlie

David Ranch

Hello Charlie,

I intend to have the radio in the trunk of my care solely for APRS tied in to a PI. Question is, can the radio operate without the faceplate? I know i can turn it on and off via the serial port, but i was just curious as there is no reason to have the faceplate in the trunk.

Are you using the build-in D700 TNC?  If so, that TNC is in the "faceplate" or "head".  As such, things won't work for packet.

--David
KI6ZHD

Charles WX4CB <young_gun262001@...>

Yes I am, but the tnc is in the radio on the 700, you’re thinking of the D710

Charlie