Topics

New D10GA questions

KD7YZ Bob

Mainly this is to be dedicated to APRS, Packet

As such, I seem to be decoding APRS off 144.390; a List is enlarging ... I also can get on the "B" band on 144.34/94 and make myself known.

I can use the RT Systems Programmer for memory.

I can touch BCON on the TM-710GA; see the bars indicate I am sending; see my Wattmeter verify that.

It is probable I have the default path wide-1 and wide2-1 set .. though there appears to be some duplicity when I find :settings:

Anyway, for now, I need to understand why I am decoding so far 34 stations in the APRs settiing but Findu never never reports my fixed position ... I'd disabled iGPS then added Mycall and my known GPS coordinates off my U-Blox GPS... EM88LL is the correct grid.
I xmit every few minutes now for a couple hours but never see it reported.

Next, I plugged in the two audio cables from Data ... to the Dell front panel Mic and Earphone ... all this did was usurp my system sounds. I run APRSIS32, AGW and UISS ... fwiw.

The rig is connected by a USB to serial as seen in the DevMan screenshot ... though ,,,, letting the Port-Setup program for a kenwood D710 "detect, she found com#20 which is what I plugged in for the RT memory program.

APRSIS32 :seems: to find my new TM-D710 cuz I see this in the log it makes :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019-09-03T14:26:17.055 [TransmitAPRS] KD7YZ-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:@142616h3829.68N/08301.09W-
2019-09-03T14:26:21.959 [Telemetry] KD7YZ-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:T#160,100,048,095,128,000,10100000
2019-09-03T14:27:17.055 [TransmitAPRS] KD7YZ-1>APWW10,WIDE2-2:@142716h3829.68N/08301.10W-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so, please, anyone capable of handling the newbie tirade, please mail me off list and help me get going.
I intend to let one of the Alpha-Spid Az/El's track and decode the Digi_sats. Sadly I appear a long was from that ability.

--
--
Bob KD7YZ
TM-D710GA

Eric

I just got my 710 and it is still in the box, so I'm just mentioning what happened to me with another radio.....is the repeater offset turned off?

Eric

Lee Besing

My 710GA came with repeater offsets on automatic, but it's easy to verify thru the menu system.

I also bought the RT Systems software and USB programming cable. Makes it very easy  to program.  RandL.com is where I bought mine & they discount the software.

Now setting up the APRS is another trick.

Lee Besing
210-771-7075
San Antonio TX

-----Original Message-----
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Sent: Wed, 04 Sep 2019 9:01 PM
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] New D10GA questions

I just got my 710 and it is still in the box, so I'm just mentioning
what happened to me with another radio.....is the repeater offset turned
off?

Eric

KD7YZ Bob

I am OK with Normal repeater functions. And I already bought the RT software and cable ... even setup a few mem channels.
It's APRS that I am having troubles with. For example, I can press BCON and see I xmit ...every once in a while I can go on FindU and see that somehow my fixed GPS Position here at home, got TO findU ... but it seems I don't always send out a beacon even though I have it on Auto.

Lemme ask this: I am using APRIS32 program ... how do I get audio in and out of it. So far, plugging in the Pink & Green plugs into the PC front panel Audio and Mic plugs produces nix.

what software is anyone using for comms with ISS for example?

B4 this rig, I used Packet Engine Pro and UISS with great success.

so what to use with the D710GA?
--
--
Bob KD7YZ
TM-D710GA

Randy Allen

I use the Kenwood PG-5G cable.  For use with APRS software it needs to be plugged into the data port on the control head (where the TNC resides), not the radio body (that port is used for programming, ECHO LINK, etc.). I'm not familiar with the RT cable so don't know if it works the same.  I've never used audio cables for APRS connectivity so can't help you there.

Make sure the COM port in the radio is turned on (Menu 604).

Since you are using APRSIS32, check out this page (if you haven't already): http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port:kenwood-tm-d710

Hope this helps.

Randy KAØAZS

On 9/5/2019 09:26, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
I am OK with Normal repeater functions. And I already bought the RT software and cable ... even setup a few mem channels.
It's APRS that I am having troubles with. For example, I can press BCON and see I xmit ...every once in a while I can go on FindU and see that somehow my fixed GPS Position here at home, got TO findU ... but it seems I don't always send out a beacon even though I have it on Auto.

Lemme ask this: I am using APRIS32 program ... how do I get audio in and out of it. So far, plugging in the Pink & Green plugs into the PC front panel Audio and Mic plugs produces nix.

Mike Hickerson

Hi All.
The programming cable USB-K5G that comes with the RTSystems programming package works for programming the radio as well as the data cable from the control head to the computer.  It also works for doing any upgrades to the rig.  For data operations,  the cable MUST be connected to the control head.   That is where the TNC is.  Not the radio deck.  I use the same cable for programming,  updates, and all data operations.  That includes APRS, Packet in both 1200 baud and  9600 baud, and any other data mode.
MIKE WB0MH

Mike WB0MH

From: TMD700A@groups.io <TMD700A@groups.io> on behalf of Randy Allen <ka0azs@...>
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2019 8:24:02 AM
To: TMD700A@groups.io <TMD700A@groups.io>; kd7yz@... <kd7yz@...>

I use the Kenwood PG-5G cable.  For use with APRS software it needs to
be plugged into the data port on the control head (where the TNC
resides), not the radio body (that port is used for programming, ECHO
LINK, etc.). I'm not familiar with the RT cable so don't know if it
works the same.  I've never used audio cables for APRS connectivity so
can't help you there.

Make sure the COM port in the radio is turned on (Menu 604).

Since you are using APRSIS32, check out this page (if you haven't
already): http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port:kenwood-tm-d710

Hope this helps.

Randy KAØAZS

On 9/5/2019 09:26, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
> I am OK with Normal repeater functions. And I already bought the RT software and cable ... even setup a few mem channels.
> It's APRS that I am having troubles with. For example, I can press BCON and see I xmit ...every once in a while I can go on FindU and see that somehow my fixed GPS Position here at home, got TO findU ... but it seems I don't always send out a beacon even though I have it on Auto.
>
> Lemme ask this: I am using APRIS32 program ... how do I get audio in and out of it. So far, plugging in the Pink & Green plugs into the PC front panel Audio and Mic plugs produces nix.
>
> what software is anyone using for comms with ISS for example?
>
> B4 this rig, I used Packet Engine Pro and UISS with great success.
>
> so what to use with the D710GA?

Lee Besing

Bob, there's a dedicated Yahoo group for APRSICE32. You can get direct feedback from Lynn, the author of this package, as well as lots of experienced users.

Aprsice@yahoogroups com

Hope this tidbit might help.

Lee Besing, N5NTG
210-771-7075
San Antonio TX

-----Original Message-----
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Sent: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 8:26 AM

--
--
Bob KD7YZ
TM-D710GA

KD7YZ Bob

On 9/5/2019 12:41, Lee Besing wrote:
Bob, there's a dedicated Yahoo group for APRSICE32.
RR. I actually am new to that one and ws afraid to ask a "radio" specific question there.

--
Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

--
--
Bob KD7YZ
TM-D7100GA

Randy Allen

Bob,

As a long time member over there, let me assure you that any questions regarding getting APRSIS32 operational, including radio settings, are not a problem there.  The worst they are likely to do is to point you at the appropriate wiki article. Pretty friendly and understanding bunch.

Randy KAØAZS

On 9/6/2019 06:25, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
On 9/5/2019 12:41, Lee Besing wrote:
Bob, there's a dedicated Yahoo group for APRSICE32.
RR. I actually am new to that one and ws afraid to ask a "radio" specific question there.

--
Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

KD7YZ Bob

On 9/6/2019 10:09, Randy Allen wrote:
Bob,
As a long time member over there, let me assure you that any questions regarding getting APRSIS32 operational, including radio settings, are not a problem there.
I will therefore switch to that forum. I'll give a try at stating my current initial problem(s) ... which cable to waht and according to whom.

right now, i appears I am short a cable.

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

--
--
Bob KD7YZ
TM-D7100GA

KD7YZ Bob

On 9/6/2019 10:53, Joseph Pistritto wrote:
you are being heard by APRS system:
https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FKD7YZ-1&timerange=3600&tail=3600-
thank you for the link.

--
Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

--
--
Bob KD7YZ
TM-D7100GA

Randy Allen

Bob,

I'm attaching a write up I did based on working with a local ham to get his D710 set up with APRSIS32.  Seems to be a popular topic all of a sudden.

Hope this helps

Randy KAØAZS

On 9/6/2019 20:09, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
On 9/6/2019 10:09, Randy Allen wrote:
Bob,

As a long time member over there, let me assure you that any questions regarding getting APRSIS32 operational, including radio settings, are not a problem there.
I will therefore switch to that forum. I'll give a try at stating my current initial problem(s) ... which cable to waht and according to whom.

right now, i appears I am short a cable.

Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

KD7YZ Bob

On 9/9/2019 11:22, Randy Allen wrote:
Bob,
I'm attaching a write up I did based on working with a local ham to get his D710 set up with APRSIS32.  Seems to be a popular topic all of a sudden.

Perfect! Reading it for breakfast. Thanks.

--
Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

--
--
Bob KD7YZ
TM-D7100GA

Chopper

Several others have reported issues with findu.  You are visible in the APRS system..
Mic-E message: Off duty
Location: 38°29.41' N 83°01.06' W - locator EM88LL77VP - show map - static map
11.5 miles North bearing 341° from Grayson, Carter County, Kentucky, United States [?]
11.6 miles Southwest bearing 241° from Greenup, Greenup County, Kentucky, United States
31.3 miles West bearing 279° from Huntington, Cabell County, West Virginia, United States
86.2 miles Northeast bearing 53° from Richmond, Madison County, Kentucky, United States
Last position: 2019-09-16 07:40:28 EDT (14d 28m ago)
2019-09-16 07:40:28 EDT local time at Grayson, United States [?]
Course:
Speed: 0 MPH
Last telemetry: 2019-09-08 07:56:59 EDT (22d 12m ago) – show telemetry
Battery: 100 Percent, Charging/AC: 48 Charge/On/Off, GPS+Sat: 95 Sats/On/Off, Current: 0 mA, A5: 0 N/A
 A/C     Charging     GPS     B4     B5     B6     B7     B8 
Device: Kenwood: TM-D710 (rig)
Last path: KD7YZ-1>SXRY4Q via WV8AR-10,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,KG4DVE-1 (good)
Positions stored: 84
Other SSIDs: KD7YZ KD7YZ-15
APRS igate – Statistics for 2019-09:
Stations heard directly: 2 on radio path – show map
Last heard a station directly: 2019-09-08 07:17:52 EDT (22d 51m ago)
Position packets heard directly: 29 on radio path
Position packets sent to APRS-IS: 29 – show map

KD7YZ Bob

On 9/30/2019 08:11, Chopper wrote:
Several others have reported issues with findu.  You are visible in the APRS system..
sorry late reply.

I am having a lot more luck as my brain learns more of how to use the nifty rig.

"Perhaps" I could ask this one:

is it possible that BOTH channels A,B can be monitored/decoded at the same time?

Right now I have a single TigerTronics SignaLInk USB connected to the Data terminal.

I have the impression I can only decode one channel however.

--
Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

--
--
Bob KD7YZ
TM-D7100GA

Jess Haas

The internal TNC can decode one channel while an external TNC or computer connected to the data port can decode the other.

-Jess
K5LLI

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019, 5:49 AM KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:
> Several others have reported issues with findu.  You are visible in the
> APRS system..

sorry late reply.

I am having a lot more luck as my brain learns more of how to use the
nifty rig.

is it possible that BOTH channels A,B can be monitored/decoded at the
same time?

Right now I have a single TigerTronics SignaLInk USB connected to the
Data terminal.

I have the impression I can only  decode one channel however.

--
Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

--
--
Bob KD7YZ
TM-D7100GA

Randy Allen

I'm confused.

You mean you are using the SignaLink instead of the built in TNC? (if so, Why?)

Or are you trying to used the internal TNC on one band (Set as the data band in the radio menus) and are trying to use the SignaLink to monitor APRS on the other (non-data in the radio band)?

I'm pretty sure the internal TNC will only decode on one band at a time (as designated in the radio menus).  Never tried an external TNC at the same time (or ever with any Kenwood APRS enabled radio).

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with "dual decode"?

Randy KAØAZS

On 10/3/2019 08:49, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
sorry late reply.

I am having a lot more luck as my brain learns more of how to use the nifty rig.

is it possible that BOTH channels A,B can be monitored/decoded at the same time?

Right now I have a single TigerTronics SignaLInk USB connected to the Data terminal.

--
Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

Randy Allen

By data port, I assume you mean the one on the radio body?

(as opposed to the one on the control head which passes info from the internal TNC)

On 10/3/2019 13:09, Jess Haas wrote:
The internal TNC can decode one channel while an external TNC or computer connected to the data port can decode the other.

-Jess
K5LLI

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019, 5:49 AM KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:
> Several others have reported issues with findu.  You are visible in the
> APRS system..

sorry late reply.

I am having a lot more luck as my brain learns more of how to use the
nifty rig.

is it possible that BOTH channels A,B can be monitored/decoded at the
same time?

Right now I have a single TigerTronics SignaLInk USB connected to the
Data terminal.

--
Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

--
--
Bob KD7YZ
TM-D7100GA

Virus-free. www.avast.com

KD7YZ Bob

On 10/3/2019 13:09, Jess Haas wrote:
-Jess
K5LLI
Wow, Jess. Great !

Which follows: Since I am using "Packet" mode, and the output "seems" to be routed thru Chan B thru the data port to a D710 USB-Codec .... how does one code the D710GA to output Channel (a), the left one. ?

Again guys, thanks for the help!

I am finally getting many passes of Birdmy, PSAT2, USNAP1 and maybe another but forgot.

--
Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

--
--
Bob KD7YZ
TM-D7100GA

KD7YZ Bob

On 10/3/2019 14:03, Randy Allen wrote:
By data port, I assume you mean the one on the radio body?
(as opposed to the one on the control head which passes info from the internal TNC)
Yes. The socket is marked Data and is NOT of the Control Head.
That cable, from Tigertronics, mates to the Signalink USB Codec

--
Bob KD7YZ
AMSAT LM #901

--
--
Bob KD7YZ
TM-D7100GA