Topics

Moving this group to Groups.io

Tom Schaefer NY4I

Hello all,

Based on the slow downfall of reliability of Yahoo Groups, it is time we make the move to Groups.io.

Several other ham radio groups to which I belong have already made the switch.

I suspect I will get a bit of comments one way or the other but does anyone think that sticking with Yahoo Groups is a good long term strategy?

Thanks,

Tom NY4I

Peter

Is the group up there now?  Just searched for TMD700A and no joy.

Sincerely,

Peter

VE1PS

On Mar 6, 2018, at 17:33, thomasmschaefer@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Hello all,

Based on the slow downfall of reliability of Yahoo Groups, it is time we make the move to Groups.io

Several other ham radio groups to which I belong have already made the switch.

I suspect I will get a bit of comments one way or the other but does anyone think that sticking with Yahoo Groups is a good long term strategy?

Thanks,

Tom NY4I

Terrence Redding

Is it time to switch? I don’t see a compelling reason to switch.

If we switch, I suspect few will make the switch. Thus, if you move you may in effect kill the group. Two other groups I belong to moved and all but died. I suggest starting the alternate group on IO and then slowly transitioning. But what actual problem for our group are you trying to solve?

On Mar 6, 2018, at 2:33 PM, thomasmschaefer@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Hello all,

Based on the slow downfall of reliability of Yahoo Groups, it is time we make the move to Groups.io

Several other ham radio groups to which I belong have already made the switch.

I suspect I will get a bit of comments one way or the other but does anyone think that sticking with Yahoo Groups is a good long term strategy?

Thanks,

Tom NY4I

Michael K. Boyea

I don’t know what Groups.io is and I;m possible not the only one.

What is the main reason to switch, and what are the positive and negative points.

Things that make you go HUMMMMM

Mike, KE4KMG

[...]

Yes but just as a prelude. It is not available yet so no need to subscribe.

Tom Schaefer NY4I

The main reason is the service and delivery of Yahoo Groups in the last month. Delayed or no mail delivery. The N1MM groups moved, as it appears the large Icom groups. DXLab was starting to move but stopped as I understand Yahoo may have solved their problem.

We can wait and see what happens for a couple of weeks and revisit it then.

Regards,

Tom NY4I

Tom Schaefer NY4I

Groups.io is a similar email list service (actually started by the people that created and sold what ultimately became  Yahoo Groups.

Tom NY4I

Jeff

I vote for the move to Groups.io.

Yahoo Groups has become a browser-unfriendly hot mess with randomly delayed email notifications. Time to move.

Make it so.

Jeff
N5TEV

Based on the slow downfall of reliability of Yahoo Groups, it is time we make the move to Groups.io.

Several other ham radio groups to which I belong have already made the switch.

I suspect I will get a bit of comments one way or the other but does anyone think that sticking with Yahoo Groups is a good long term strategy?

Thanks,

Tom NY4I

Bill Simm

I have no problem with moving the group to Groups.io.    Just please remember to give us good directions on how to join it there.

               Bill (va1alw)

Alex Perez

They have a whole migration-from-Yahoo-Groups feature, that makes it pretty seamless. The web UI is also far superior, if you choose to use it.

WB6ALX

Jeff

Great move to the new site. It's like a breath of fresh air!

Thanks!

Jeff
N5TEV

Steven Hays KA9MOT <ka9mot@...>

We won't mention Yahoo's unfailing ability to be hacked twice a week and every holiday....

My info has been stolen so many times that the hackers just toss it to the side. They've memorized it.

LOL!
Steve KA9MOT

On Mar 10, 2018 8:17 PM, "Jeff" <groups.0acf@...> wrote:
Great move to the new site. It's like a breath of fresh air!

Thanks!

Jeff
N5TEV

Chrissy Murphy

Hi,

Are members of the group being migrated over to .io groups automatically, or do we all have to join .io groups on an individual basis and re-register to the TMD700 group ?

Rob 2E0RHM

Tom Schaefer NY4I

It’s automatic. You should have received a message from groups.io. If not, subscribe again.

Tom

Principal Solutions Architect
Better Software Solutions, Inc.
727-437-2771

On Mar 11, 2018, at 5:36 AM, Chrissy Murphy <HEAVILEY@...> wrote:

Hi,

Are members of the group being migrated over to .io groups automatically, or do we all have to join .io groups on an individual basis and re-register to the TMD700 group ?

Rob 2E0RHM

Tom Schaefer NY4I

Oops. I just realized your message was from groups.io so you are already subscribed.