Topics

Mobile SatGate Issue

Frank J Rossi Jr

My D-700 Mobile SatGate quit forwarding the ISS DIGI to the Terrestrial network. 
I see everything from the ISS but my radio forwards nothing.
I went through all my settings and I can't see any error.
Any ideas ?
I need to go through all my settings. 
N3FLR - Frank 

Lynn Deffenbaugh

What software are you using for the SatGate?  That makes a big difference in the answer you're seeking.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 8/10/2020 6:35 AM, Frank J Rossi Jr wrote:
My D-700 Mobile SatGate quit forwarding the ISS DIGI to the Terrestrial network. 
Any ideas ?
N3FLR - Frank 

R. Patrick Ryan

Frank,
Was ISS in APRS Mode?  ISS was doing Slow Scan TV recently, with APRS off, I believe.

For Lynn, I believe Frank  N3FLR was using the TM-D700 Radio with internal TNC to monitor 145.825 MHz on receive and 144,390  MHz as transmit (odd split pair in the frequency memory), with digipeater ON.

Saved as a PM, or Program Mode in that separate memory, select PM and a QSY to the special Frequency odd-split memory as above, and selecting digipeater ON should allow repeating packets from ISS to local Terrestrial network, but to what end escapes me.

73 de Pat
R. Patrick Ryan
ARS: KC6VVT, ASEC/IL, OES/IL, Grid: EN51lf, 
email: kc6vvt@...
Facebook for ham related:  http://www.facebook.com/KC6VVT/info

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 10:17 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
What software are you using for the SatGate?  That makes a big difference in the answer you're seeking.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 8/10/2020 6:35 AM, Frank J Rossi Jr wrote:
Any ideas ?
N3FLR - Frank 

Frank J Rossi Jr

I still have not figured out why my Mobile SatGate quit working.
It is receiving everything from the ISS, just not forwarding to the terrestrial APRS Network. Squelch is Closed.
I had my Kenwood D-700 since they first started making them. One time in the shop for blown internal fuse and to get updates.
Very reliable radio since. I even have the aftermarket keyboard interface hooked up to it.

It use to be kinda standard years ago that when you parked your vehicle during the day, You switch it over to Mobile SatGate mode, because at that time there was little to No SatGates.

Basically it would transmit all APRS data that came down from the ISS to the local Terrestrial APRS system. Use to work back then.
I gave all the ISS modes in different PM locations for quick switch over.
Over the years something changed in the ISS, equipment went down and for a while there was no APRS,
New Radio then installed in the Russian module and I am not sure what is going on now.

I need to go over all my Kenwood Internal TNC settings to make sure they are correct. I did have it set up as a Full Time DIGD for a short time,
so I did make a change to the 2 settings with a laptop for regular DIGI.
I am trying to remember if it was WB4APR or someone else that promoted setting most of your PM's to ISS Modes. Great Idea actually for quick switch over.

Anyway it does not seem like many are using Mobile SatGate anymore.
Anyone have all the Kenwood D-700 TNC settings for Mobile SatGate out there ?
Thanks in advance.
N3FLR - Frank

R. Patrick Ryan

Hi again, Fraank N3FLR
Been researching your problem with being a SGate, The irony is that this TM-D700 radio has been around for several decades now, and the old APRSIG has been archived.
Anyway, found some links, but are dead now, so will just throw the copied text out that I had cribbed long ago here,  below, or  attached.
I could do more for you personally if you could copy the radio's TNC settings and the separate APRS memory settings as they  are now, and post here but will keep it online for others who may wish to follow your lead in support of Sgate while your mobile is parked..
     First put the radio in the Program Mode (PM 5?) you want to use as a SatGate mode, and then  attach a Win computer to run the Kenwood radio MCP**.exe for your TM-D700. to read the radio memory and APRS page settings of that current SGate Program Mode  (PM status) into the MCP program  and then save as a MCP file, like SGate-as-is.700 file.   
NOTE: as I recall, each PM # 1-5 must be saved separately by selecting the PM on the radio, saving each with the Kenwood program  Five times, (PM off is default, I think, but make a copy as PM off.700 file)  
  Next, you could run a simple packet program to read the TNC settings of the radio. With the radio menu keys, switch out of APRS mode to PKT Mode, and issue the TNC built in a DISPLAY command and save all the TNC settings to a *.txt file  NOTE: Control C sets the TNC to command mode.
NOTE The radio Menu settings will change SOME TNC settings, but not ALL
Second is to run  the Kenwood radio MCP**.exe for your TM-D700.
R. Patrick Ryan

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 10:15 PM Frank J Rossi Jr <n3flr1@...> wrote:
It is receiving everything from the ISS, just not forwarding to the terrestrial APRS Network. Squelch is Closed.
I had my Kenwood D-700 since they first started making them. One time in the shop for blown internal fuse and to get updates.
Very reliable radio since. I even have the aftermarket keyboard interface hooked up to it.

It use to be kinda standard years ago that when you parked your vehicle during the day, You switch it over to Mobile SatGate mode, because at that time there was little to No SatGates.

Basically it would transmit all APRS data that came down from the ISS to the local Terrestrial APRS system. Use to work back then.
Over the years something changed in the ISS, equipment went down and for a while there was no APRS,
New Radio then installed in the Russian module and I am not sure what is going on now.

I need to go over all my Kenwood Internal TNC settings to make sure they are correct. I did have it set up as a Full Time DIGD for a short time,
I am trying to remember if it was WB4APR or someone else that promoted setting most of your PM's to ISS Modes. Great Idea actually for quick switch over.

Thanks in advance.
N3FLR - Frank

R. Patrick Ryan

Hi again, Frank N3FLR  
Prematurely sent previous email, disregard last sentence of that email.
Continuing:
aj3u (AJ3U) had the following posted at one time on the subject
Re: TM-D700A SatGate

"Whenever I park my truck, I put the D700 on PM5 instead of turning it off in order to assist other users with APRS satellite operations. In this mode, the D700 receives APRS packets from ISS and PCSAT and digipeats them to 144.39 where they can be picked up by terrestrial SatGates for delivery to the APRS-IS. The terrestrial APRS frequency (144.39 in U.S.A.) is set on Band A (left side). I have enabled CTCSS with a PL of 67Hz, so it will mute the speaker without having to worry about touching the volume control. I have set this band to "M"edium power in order not to run my truck's battery down! I set the beacon rate to 30 minutes for the same reason. I also set the Dimmer to the lowest level. Side B (right side) is set to the ISS downlink 145.80. You can set this with either a memory channel or with the VFO. Set menu 3-I to A:TX B:RX. UIDIGI is enabled (menu 3-K) which turns the D700 into a digipeater. (UIDIGI configuration details below). When the ISS makes a pass overhead, packets are received on Band B and digipeated over to Band A. This takes care of ISS, but how can you get it to simultaneously monitor for PCSAT (NO-44) when it is on 145.825? The trick is to set the Call channel to 145.825 and then hold down the Call button (top left) to enable Call scan! The D700 scans between 145.80 and 145.825 and it is a very fast scan so it catches packets from both satellites! Another thing you want to do is set your Message Groups to "*" (menu 3-P) so that you receive all messages. When you come back to your vehicle, you will know that a satellite pass has occured because you will see all of the messages queued from the pass. You can also check the station list. If the majority of D700 users did this, it would dramatically increase the IGate coverage for APRS satellite users and could free up dedicated SatGate stations to move their monitoring to other satellites such as the PCSAT2 9.6k downlink. By setting this as a separate PM, it takes two button pushes to put the D700 in this mode without affecting your normal everyday operating PM. When you want to go back to normal operations it is just two keypresses - PM OFF. Quick and easy. So put those idle D700's to work!

UIDIGI configuration details for Mobile SatGate operations: To enable the D700 as a mobile SatGate, enable UIDIGI (menu 3-K). UIDIGI digipeating path (menu 3-L) is set to "SGATE, WIDE, RELAY". As long as an APRS satellite user includes SGATE as part of their path after the satellite digi, then they will take advantage of this type of setup. By checking stations on FindU, I have found that about 50% of users do this. I have noticed that some use WIDE and RELAY after the satellite part of the path, so that is why I also include them. The ideal path for an ISS digi user would be "ARISS,SGATE,WIDE2-2". This packet would be digi'd by the ISS, then picked up by a D700 SatGate, and digi'd onto 144.39 with the remaining path of WIDE2-2 which just about guarantees delivery to an IGate.

More to follow

R. Patrick Ryan

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 10:26 PM Patrick Ryan KC6VVT <kc6vvt@...> wrote:
Hi again, Fraank N3FLR
Been researching your problem with being a SGate, The irony is that this TM-D700 radio has been around for several decades now, and the old APRSIG has been archived.
Anyway, found some links, but are dead now, so will just throw the copied text out that I had cribbed long ago here,  below, or  attached.
I could do more for you personally if you could copy the radio's TNC settings and the separate APRS memory settings as they  are now, and post here but will keep it online for others who may wish to follow your lead in support of Sgate while your mobile is parked..
     First put the radio in the Program Mode (PM 5?) you want to use as a SatGate mode, and then  attach a Win computer to run the Kenwood radio MCP**.exe for your TM-D700. to read the radio memory and APRS page settings of that current SGate Program Mode  (PM status) into the MCP program  and then save as a MCP file, like SGate-as-is.700 file.   
NOTE: as I recall, each PM # 1-5 must be saved separately by selecting the PM on the radio, saving each with the Kenwood program  Five times, (PM off is default, I think, but make a copy as PM off.700 file)  
  Next, you could run a simple packet program to read the TNC settings of the radio. With the radio menu keys, switch out of APRS mode to PKT Mode, and issue the TNC built in a DISPLAY command and save all the TNC settings to a *.txt file  NOTE: Control C sets the TNC to command mode.
R. Patrick Ryan

Thanks in advance.
N3FLR - Frank

R. Patrick Ryan

Now some quotes from Bob Bruninga WB4APR

TM-D700 and TH-D7(G) SETTINGS: Here is a list of my minimum setups for the new Kenwood TM-D700 data mobile and TH-D7(G)data handheld for front-panel-to-Satellite mobile communications via a digipeating PACSAT in Mode-J or Mode-B:
Picture of text
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html  

<This site can’t be reached>

TRANSMITTING: Notice, the new D7(G) has the DCD SENSE command so that the TNC will operate full duplex in APRS mode. BUT, In APRS mode, the D700 does not have this ability to set the internal TNC to FULLDUPLEX. THus, while your D700 mobile receive BAND is receiveing data the radio will not transmit. Understanding this problem will be your key to success. If the Satellite has periodic quiet times on the downlink (SUNSAT) then operate normally. It will get a chance to key up. But if the downlink is 100% in use as is normal for UO-22 and all the other PACSATS, then here are some ways to force a transmit:

Set to AUTO and then QSY occassionally the downlink long enough to silence rcvr
Set to PTT and kerchunk xmtr when Posit BECN is ready... (won't do msgs)
Set to auto and tune RX elsewhere to ignore downlink.
Operate PACKET mode with laptop doing APRS (With FULLDUP ON)
Operate SUNSAT. It downlinks only once every 5 to 10 seconds and is quiet the rest of the time.

Digipeater/SATGATE
Simply program a PM memory for the D700 TNC to listen on the satellite downlink and Transmit on 144.39. Then every packet from the downlink will be digipeated to YOUR home station for entry into the APRS internet system. Or, when your handheld THD7 is not in use, hook it up. Why let these radios go to waste, when they could serve others! WOW, talk about a boot-strap nationwide Satellite Gateway system!
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html

<This site can’t be reached>

End quotes
okay, you answer is in this jumble, Good luck 
The dead links were kept as a source only

In summary, not all built inTNC settings can be set from the TM-D700. You have to change some in PKT mode with an external dumb terminal or a computer with a simple packet program  attached to the back panel Dsub15 pin serial connection on the radio, then save and go back to Menu tweaking from the radio display panel. Woe be you if you have used some program that changed your best previous efforts, so document, document document with the previous email suggest file save steps.

NOTE: My .TM-D700 has TWO APRS Modes, and one of them does not work! Mash the button for the second APRS mode and then the built in APRS mode takes off!

73 de Pat

R. Patrick Ryan

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 10:32 PM R. Patrick Ryan via groups.io <kc6vvt=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi again, Frank N3FLR  
Prematurely sent previous email, disregard last sentence of that email.
Continuing:
aj3u (AJ3U) had the following posted at one time on the subject
Re: TM-D700A SatGate

"Whenever I park my truck, I put the D700 on PM5 instead of turning it off in order to assist other users with APRS satellite operations. In this mode, the D700 receives APRS packets from ISS and PCSAT and digipeats them to 144.39 where they can be picked up by terrestrial SatGates for delivery to the APRS-IS. The terrestrial APRS frequency (144.39 in U.S.A.) is set on Band A (left side). I have enabled CTCSS with a PL of 67Hz, so it will mute the speaker without having to worry about touching the volume control. I have set this band to "M"edium power in order not to run my truck's battery down! I set the beacon rate to 30 minutes for the same reason. I also set the Dimmer to the lowest level. Side B (right side) is set to the ISS downlink 145.80. You can set this with either a memory channel or with the VFO. Set menu 3-I to A:TX B:RX. UIDIGI is enabled (menu 3-K) which turns the D700 into a digipeater. (UIDIGI configuration details below). When the ISS makes a pass overhead, packets are received on Band B and digipeated over to Band A. This takes care of ISS, but how can you get it to simultaneously monitor for PCSAT (NO-44) when it is on 145.825? The trick is to set the Call channel to 145.825 and then hold down the Call button (top left) to enable Call scan! The D700 scans between 145.80 and 145.825 and it is a very fast scan so it catches packets from both satellites! Another thing you want to do is set your Message Groups to "*" (menu 3-P) so that you receive all messages. When you come back to your vehicle, you will know that a satellite pass has occured because you will see all of the messages queued from the pass. You can also check the station list. If the majority of D700 users did this, it would dramatically increase the IGate coverage for APRS satellite users and could free up dedicated SatGate stations to move their monitoring to other satellites such as the PCSAT2 9.6k downlink. By setting this as a separate PM, it takes two button pushes to put the D700 in this mode without affecting your normal everyday operating PM. When you want to go back to normal operations it is just two keypresses - PM OFF. Quick and easy. So put those idle D700's to work!

UIDIGI configuration details for Mobile SatGate operations: To enable the D700 as a mobile SatGate, enable UIDIGI (menu 3-K). UIDIGI digipeating path (menu 3-L) is set to "SGATE, WIDE, RELAY". As long as an APRS satellite user includes SGATE as part of their path after the satellite digi, then they will take advantage of this type of setup. By checking stations on FindU, I have found that about 50% of users do this. I have noticed that some use WIDE and RELAY after the satellite part of the path, so that is why I also include them. The ideal path for an ISS digi user would be "ARISS,SGATE,WIDE2-2". This packet would be digi'd by the ISS, then picked up by a D700 SatGate, and digi'd onto 144.39 with the remaining path of WIDE2-2 which just about guarantees delivery to an IGate.

More to follow

R. Patrick Ryan

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 10:26 PM Patrick Ryan KC6VVT <kc6vvt@...> wrote:
Hi again, Fraank N3FLR
R. Patrick Ryan

Thanks in advance.
N3FLR - Frank

Frank J Rossi Jr

R. Patrick Ryan
Wow Thanks for all the Research.
I wish all the links would work. Most went to WB4APR's site.
He needs a Master APRS Site to put everything in one place.
This should be archived somewhere for future use.
I have an Early D-700's and it has been running great installed in the 4th vehicle.

Was looking at my Kenwood memory file, the last time I had plugged my old Dell Lattitude into my D-700 was 2016.
I have Hyperterm for changing TNC settings and Programming with the Kenwood Memory Program on an old Win XP Laptop.
It took me a couple hours to remove the old expired Antivirus that locked it in a loop and made it useless.
But for Mobile Packet and Programming, and our Club had a Winlink site up and running for Ham Radio E-Mail,
The old Laptop does fine. No Packet around here anymore.

Going to give it a try this evening and see if the SatGate works.
Thanks for all your time.
N3FLR - Frank J Rossi Jr  AEC Westmoreland County FN00df