From: "John k4ag@... [TMD700A]"
To: TMD700A@...
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:00 PM
Subject: [TMD700A] Low intensity on the front panel

Hi,

I'm having a hard time reading the front panel on my D700. At night it
is fine but during the day in bright sunlight it is almost impossible to
read the frequencies on it. I have it mounted low on the dash so it's
not getting direct sun onto it. I went thru' all the menus with no
improvement

Has anyone else found this and if so is there a cure for it.

Thanks,

John

John

Hi Charlie,

Yes, went thru' all the variations on page 65. Had 4 PM's setup including reverse, still not really visible.
No not using polarizing sunglasses.
I guess I'll have to live with it until I find something better
Thanks for responding

73,

John

On 8/27/2014 2:13 PM, Charles Doughtie n5exy@... [TMD700A] wrote:

Have you checked the users manual, p65? Also, be wary of polarized sunglasses - - -
de Charlie, N5EXY, Grid EM10fl,
South Suburban Greater Hutto
I'm lost - where am I? http://www.aprs.fi/n5exy-9

John Gianotti <w9wy@...>

Mine is the same way.  Matter of fact I was NEVER happy with the brightness of the display, always found Yaesu to be better.  Don’t even get me started on the blue display of the 7 series.

-- 30 --

bobofthedeep@...

Same issue here...I'd like to change it to a blue backlight...any thoughts?

Bob
W2CYK
Creator of RFinder - The World Wide Repeater Directory

bobofthedeep@...

Same issue here...I'd like to change it to a blue backlight...any thoughts?

Bob
W2CYK
Creator of RFinder - The World Wide Repeater Directory

Dennis Griffin <eagleeyedennis@...>

You may want to get a look at a TM-V7A display, which has blue backlighting, before going that way. Too bad we can't get these looking like an Icom IC-706, or even a TS-2000, display.

73 de Dennis KD7CAC
Scottsdale, AZ

On Aug 28, 2014, at 8:50 AM, bobofthedeep@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Same issue here...I'd like to change it to a blue backlight...any thoughts?

Bob
W2CYK
Creator of RFinder - The World Wide Repeater Directory

Posted by: bobofthedeep@...

Larry J. Ford

I am puzzled at these comments, as the display on my TM-D700A is pretty
bright, even in bright ambient light/sunlight.

Even viewing it through polarized sunglasses it's more readable than the
display on the ICOM IC-706MKII mounted next to it in the vehicle.

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC

Mine is the same way. Matter of fact I was NEVER happy with the brightness
of the display, always found Yaesu to be better. Don't even get me started
on the blue display of the 7 series.

-- 30 --

Dennis Griffin <eagleeyedennis@...>

Hum, i guess I've not seen an IC-706 display in sunlight, though it sure looks fine in ambient room light, with good contrast & very distinct characters. I used a TM-D700A display on a m/c handlebar, w/o any sun shade, for many years here in AZ while supporting events, like long bicycle rides, and never found it difficult to see.

73 de Dennis KD7CAC
Scottsdale, AZ

On Aug 28, 2014, at 9:03 AM, 'LARRY J. FORD' lford@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

I am puzzled at these comments, as the display on my TM-D700A is pretty
bright, even in bright ambient light/sunlight.

Even viewing it through polarized sunglasses it's more readable than the
display on the ICOM IC-706MKII mounted next to it in the vehicle.

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC

> Mine is the same way. Matter of fact I was NEVER happy with the brightness
> of the display, always found Yaesu to be better. Don't even get me started
> on the blue display of the 7 series.

Posted by: "LARRY J. FORD" <lford@...>

Larry J. Ford

When viewing the IC-706MKII display through polarized sunglasses, it is
unreadable.

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC

Mine is the same way. Matter of fact I was NEVER happy with the
brightness
of the display, always found Yaesu to be better. Don't even get me
started
on the blue display of the 7 series.
Posted by: "LARRY J. FORD" <lford@...>

bobofthedeep@...

My TS-2000 Display is going blue!!!  Got the kit earlier this week!