Topics

Kenwood TM-D700A - Don't use a telephone cable as an extension cable

Walt

I've installed my TM-D700A in four different vehicles using the same basic layout:

1. 2002 GMC Envoy
2. 2006 GMC Envoy
3. 2010 GMC Acadia SLT
4. 2014 GMC Acadia Denali

The radio is located in the back of the vehicle – 12V power is supplied by a power plug located in the back of the vehicle which is always on and a Charge-Guard is used to turn power off to all the equipment after about 15 Minutes.
A small cube sized GPS is located on the rear driver's side window.
The MIC, Speaker & Control Head cables are snaked under the vehicles' side panels and carpet and come up into the center console using the approved Kenwood Extension kit (except for the last vehicle). .
Antenna is a VHF/UHF antenna (~ 12") mounted through the roof using a an NMO mount and the other end fed to the radio in the rear with a PL259 connector.

On all of these installations, except the last (2014 Acadia), there were NO Problems at all. I usually leave the old antenna cable and extension cables in the old vehicle and buy new ones for the new vehicle. However, the extension kit for the Kenwood TM-D700 are no longer available, so I tried to use a normal telephone cable in place of the extension cable for the control head. This was a mistake and the telephone cable was nothing but grief:
• Sometimes the control head would power up and sometimes not.
• Sometimes the power to the control head would go off when transmitting.
• Many reboots of the control head, etc.
• Tried putting ferrite beads on the cable, but this did not help.

Fortunately, my friend Charlie, WB2SNN was replacing a TM-D700A with a TM-D710A in his vehicle and did not need his extension cable for the TM-D700A because he was going to use that radio in the house. I replaced the telephone cable with the right extension cable and everything is now working perfectly again. So the bottom line is use the right cables for the job and there is no grief. If I ever intend to get another vehicle, I'm going to spend the time retrieving the extension cable since they're no longer available.

Walt WA2NXK

Brian Beuershausen

If you have the RJ connectors laying around and a crimper, all you have to
do is cut one end off and put a new connector on but upside down relative
to the one you cut off.

When I made mine, I couldn't find my crimper, but with an Xacto knife, a
small screwdriver to use as a punch and a small brass hammer, I was able to
drive each of the IDC terminals and the strain relief tab down. Not the
best method, but where there's a will . . . :-)

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Walt <wkapica@...> wrote:

**

Kenwood TM-D700A Control Head.

[...]

Brian Clark

I have had 100% success in two different vehicles using CAT5e cabling and
good quality punch-down jacks on each end /w short jumper into the radio.
It makes for easy, rapid change-out of any RJ-11 or RJ-45 based radios and
heads. I would image that CAT6 would make for even better shielded and
problem-free extensions.

Brian C.
K4TUX

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Walt <wkapica@...> wrote:

**

[...]

WD8ARZ <wd8arz@...>

Thank you so much for your posting on this subject Walt. Have said for years not to use regular phone cable on this and other forums, but you always have those that say it is ok because 'they had no problems'. Bad practice with no 'known' effects doesnt make it good practice.

Having installed a TS-480HX, TM-D700A and a Navigation system in a Trail Blazer with all remote mounted heads, I too have experienced the RFI issues. ESPECIALLY with telephone cable and poor quality HDMI cables. Not only getting RF in to the radios, especially control heads, but also into the transmitted audio. Even RF getting in to the vehicle electronics.

Those issues went away in 98% of the cases using the correct cable. Even with the correct cable, long runs some times still need ferrite beads installed on each end to fully resolve the issues. Ferrites on the incorrect cables dont seem to work as well either.

In my home I ran 100' plus of cable for the mic and control head for a TS-480HX from the basement ham station to an upstairs location with plenty of spare cable top side for operation from more than one room. I made it work, but had to use shielded cable and ferrites on each end of the cables. Especially ferriets at the control heads end of the cable. For those that say why dont I use this or that wireless or internet option, its simple: I want no lag in control response or rx / tx audio, and I didnt want complexity that leads to failure at some point. Keep It Simple Stupid can keep you up and running longer ....

Please note that testing on a few frequencies is not good enough. You have to test at full power, full modulation, on each end of all bands. Some bands may be 100% clear of issues, but I am willing to bet you will not find that the case on all bands.

Each installation will vary.

Not to mention mobile station setups in quiet areas may operate 'ok' in many locations But get in to a ham active area with other stations, local to TV and Radio towers running kilowatts, and cbers running dirty amps with over modulation, you could find your system inoperable during a time of need.

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ

On 8/1/2013 3:46 PM, Walt wrote:

[...]

Cat 6 is made to a higher standard than Cat 5, 5e, etc. But that's
inconsequential to the Kenwood. Cat 3 (telephone cable) can handle the
signals just fine. If you need shielding (like in a high RF situation),
you have to specifically get shielded cable. Shielding is not part of the
basic specs.

suited to the purpose about the cable supplied by Kenwood. It's just
ordinary small diameter, round cable with RJ connectors on the ends. Cat 3
cable is perfectly up to the task. I find that the flat phone cable works
fine even in RF-dense environments as long as the length isn't excessive
and the connecters are installed correctly.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Brian Clark <bclark@...> wrote:

[...]

Ahhhh, correction to myself: What I mentioned about the upside down
connector actually applies to Yaesu remote heads. Sorry for the
misstatement.

But I am using Cat 3 flat cable with no problem for the Kenwood. Just make
sure the conductor placement into the RJ connectors is correct. Use the
manual and verify with a meter.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Brian Beuershausen <KB5EO.radio@...>wrote:

[...]

GK

I guess it would go without saying that you like GMC SUV's!

[...]

No virus found in this message.

Jerome Kutche

Frys electronics has some of the bets prices on Cat 6 Shielded Network cable
as well as Cat 7 Shielded.. I always grab several sizes when there.. If
memory serves 100' is around the $20 range?

[...]

Tim Hardy AF1G <hardyt@...>

I think I would use a shielded Ethernet cable instead of phone line and see
what happens.

_____

No virus found in this message.

No virus found in this message.

Tom Crowley

I have use Cat 5 on my D700 and D710 in Cars, House and Golf cart

Just make sure when you put the end on to have the colors line up then crimp

The twits in the wires give great cancelation of any noise picked up

Tom

KC0VII

I think I would use a shielded Ethernet cable instead of phone line and see
what happens.

GK

OK, go get a 15' network cable and a coupling. It is very easy to do, just do not get a cross connected coupling. I did it on my wife's car and it works great. I did use cat6 though.