De: TMD700A@groups.io <TMD700A@groups.io> en nombre de Larry J. Ford K4AEC <lford@usa.net>
Enviado: viernes, 17 de septiembre de 2021 04:19 p. m.
Para: TMD700A@groups.io
Asunto: [TMD700A] Kenwood Discontinuing the TM-D710XX Line?

Another group I'm a member of (AT - Golden Packet), which has used the Kenwood TM-7XX line of radios to send APRS messages up and down the Appalachian Trail during an annual July event, has had several messages posted saying that Kenwood is ending production of the TM-710xx with no replacement in sight.

Can anyone on this list confirm (or deny) that "news?" Thanks.

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC

Tom Schaefer NY4I

It is too bad as building on the DSTAR addition to the D74, if Kenwood came out with a mobile radio that was full duplex and had DSTAR and keeping all the other features of the D710, I would replace my IC5100 in a minute.

The D700/D710 line was really the best mobile VHF/UHF rig I have owned mostly due to the well thought out interface and full duplex capability.

Tom

On Sep 17, 2021, at 4:19 PM, Larry J. Ford K4AEC <lford@...> wrote:

Another group I'm a member of (AT - Golden Packet), which has used the Kenwood TM-7XX line of radios to send APRS messages up and down the Appalachian Trail during an annual July event, has had several messages posted saying that Kenwood is ending production of the TM-710xx with no replacement in sight.

Can anyone on this list confirm (or deny) that "news?"  Thanks.

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC

Eric Green

The inventory of ham radios from *all* vendors (other than the Chinese vendors, sigh) seems to be pretty much dried up due to the global chip shortage right now, forcing mass discontinuance of models (technically a model must be discontinued to prevent wholesalers or retailers from ordering it). Let's see what happens once the chips are available again to see whether JVCKenwood re-introduces the line, either in original or updated form.

On 9/17/2021 2:06 PM, Tom Schaefer NY4I wrote:
[...]

That’s a good point. I read yesterday that Mercedes was discontinuing all V8s in the US for model year 2022 due to supply issues but they will be back in 2023 so similar idea to not allow orders to be taken.

I would think they could just state they have no quantity but technically that becomes a back order. But that is the limit of my supply chain knowledge. Plus it gets us a bit far afield of this group's topic.

I do hope we see a D720 in the future as basically the latest D710 with DSTAR added.

73,

Tom NY4I

On Sep 17, 2021, at 5:15 PM, Eric Green <ki6wbx@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

Best and most "on-point" response so far.  It's entirely possible that some parties who are posting the "discontinued" mantra have misinterpreted the lack of inventory as an official, permanent closing down of the line.

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC