Topics

KD8ZCM question for my D700 and APRS

MICHAEL SHIREY

I am looking to take my Kenwood TM-D700A and connect to my PC possibly?

I spoke with John at coastal chip and the old TNC to keyboard interface that they made is not made no more. I want to have my D700 run my APRS but with a key board for easer typing and not the mic. If I can find a recommendation on software and how to connect a keyboard that I can use to do this with please?

Mark Wolff

Glad I picked up one of the kits while they were available. Perhaps he can share the schematic and you could fab one up? Another alternative, and the one I use more often is connecting the 700 up to a laptop using a serial cable and running APRS software like UI-View, you can load up maps, send messages easier, etc. There are other APRS programs out there as well.

Mark / N4MEW
Mark@...

On 1/4/2016 20:37, kd8zcm@... [TMD700A] wrote:

I am looking to take my Kenwood TM-D700A and connect to my PC possibly?

I spoke with John at coastal chip and the old TNC to keyboard interface that they made is not made no more. I want to have my D700 run my APRS but with a key board for easer typing and not the mic. If I can find a recommendation on software and how to connect a keyboard that I can use to do this with please?

Ron

I am running UIVIEW 32 with a serial cable connected to the front DB9 connector.  You have to have a gender changer on the cable to connect to the male connector.  There is a D700 configuration file that you can edit to automatically change the D700 to TNC mode and change to the correct frequency when you start Uiview and change it to regular mode when you quit Uiview 32.  You then can use the PC to setup the program and type messages to send to other users.

http://www.ui-view.net/index.shtml#ui-view32

Ron NY3J

On 01/04/2016 08:37 PM, kd8zcm@... [TMD700A] wrote:

I am looking to take my Kenwood TM-D700A and connect to my PC possibly?

I spoke with John at coastal chip and the old TNC to keyboard interface that they made is not made no more. I want to have my D700 run my APRS but with a key board for easer typing and not the mic. If I can find a recommendation on software and how to connect a keyboard that I can use to do this with please?

John Rice

I have an unbuilt (never opened) Coastal Chipworks keyboard interface kit for a TMD-700..  Bought it and never got around to building it. I also have a small PS-2 keyboard to go with it.  If someone wants to make me an offer I'd be happy to get it into the hands of someone that could build it and use it.

John - K9IJ

--
John Rice  K9IJ
johnr@...

MICHAEL SHIREY

I would like to make you an offer, what do you need?.. I don't know what that kit was sold for?

Amir K9CHP

I have one of those d700 keyboard interfaces, including a spillproof flexible usb keyboard. The only part that is missing, and I have not looked that carefully for it, is the sub to ps2 converter. Those are readily available. Let me know if you are interested.

--

73 de Amir K9CHP

Liverpool Amateur Repeater Club www.W2CM.com
Radio Amateurs of Greater Syracuse  www.ragsclub.org