Topics

Just acquired a D700

Stephen Marshall

Good Morning,  I just took ownership of a D700 and am looking forward to many years of use.  My unit has mfr date of 2005; and when purchased was missing the data cables.  So my first 2 questions for the group; 1) should I do a reset on the radio so as to start with a clean slate? 2) I have tried to determine if the data cables are the same as used for the D710; and if not; is there a company that has parts for the D700?

Thanks for your assistance and I hope to be using this radio soon

Steve WW4RX

Charles Doughtie

1) A reset depends on you - did the previous owner have some repeaters in memory that you might want?
2) Cables other than power are not the same. You can make them up. Check the files in this group.
3)You might try PacParts http://www.pacparts.com/. Search eBay - someone lists a 3 cable set, another lists a serial cable for programming, etc. You will need a gender changer with a generic serial cable. If your computer does not have a serial port, finding a usb converter can be (was for me) a problem. I finally found one that would work with both my D700 and D7 at Fry's: PPA Int'l Item#3312 made in China, of course, UPC 8 33250 00331 2. I am sure there are others.

de Charlie, N5EXY, Grid EM10fl,
South Suburban Greater Hutto

A gun is like a parachute.   If you need one, and don't have one, you'll never need one again.

To: TMD700A@...
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2014 6:41 AM
Subject: [TMD700A] Just acquired a D700

Good Morning,  I just took ownership of a D700 and am looking forward to many years of use.  My unit has mfr date of 2005; and when purchased was missing the data cables.  So my first 2 questions for the group; 1) should I do a reset on the radio so as to start with a clean slate? 2) I have tried to determine if the data cables are the same as used for the D710; and if not; is there a company that has parts for the D700?
Steve WW4RX

Tom Crowley

Morning

I would scroll through and look at what is in the channel banks and the radio settings, write down what you can you then do a reset

D700 cables are different then D710.

The D700 I have I made the cable out of CAT5 cable and put the correct ends on it

If the gray matter is working this morning it is a 8 pin and 6 pin RG type plug

Tom

KC0VII

From: TMD700A@... [mailto:TMD700A@...] On Behalf Of medicineman48@...

Steve WW4RX

ve3oks@...

Hi Steve,

I had the same issue when I got my d700. First thing I had to do when I made my cables, just because my eyes are not that good anymore, was replace the fuse inside the radio. I crossed two wires. I have a few spare fuses just in case you make your own. I would purchase them, if you can find them. The biggest problem making your own is the ground wire is not sheilded and any loose strand can cause issues, like a blown fuse which is surface mount by the way.
Second thing I would do is go to the Kenwood site:
http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/tmd700a_700e_soft.html
and download this free program. Once you have power to the radio and a programming cable with a gender bender you can retrieve all the info and make an image of it. Chirp works as well but you can't program the APRS info with it, just the memories.
Third, have fun. This radio by far is the most fun I have had while mobile. I am just adding a nuvi350 so I can track data and stations on the go.
Enjoy
Ken
ve3oks

Michael Champion <mikec@...>

Close.  Its 6pin rj11(radio) to 4pin 4P4C(head).  and pins 2-5 go to pins 1-4 respectively.  It’s a straight through proposition.

-Michael

From: TMD700A@... [mailto:TMD700A@...] On Behalf Of Tom Crowley
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2014 5:42 AM
Subject: RE: [TMD700A] Just acquired a D700

Morning

I would scroll through and look at what is in the channel banks and the radio settings, write down what you can you then do a reset

The D700 I have I made the cable out of CAT5 cable and put the correct ends on it

Tom

KC0VII

Good Morning,  I just took ownership of a D700 and am looking forward to many years of use.  My unit has mfr date of 2005; and when purchased was missing the data cables.  So my first 2 questions for the group; 1) should I do a reset on the radio so as to start with a clean slate? 2) I have tried to determine i f the data cables are the same as used for the D710; and if not; is there a company that has parts for the D700?

Steve WW4RX

Tom Crowley

Thanks for the correction

Gray matter not up to speed

Tom

From: TMD700A@... [mailto:TMD700A@...] On Behalf Of Michael Champion
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2014 9:38 AM

Close.  Its 6pin rj11(radio) to 4pin 4P4C(head).  and pins 2-5 go to pins 1-4 respectively.  It’s a straight through proposition.

-Michael

From: TMD700A@... [mailto:TMD700A@...] On Behalf Of Tom Crowley
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2014 5:42 AM

Morning

Tom

KC0VII

Good Morning,  I just took ownership of a D700 and am looking forward to many years of use.  My unit has mfr date of 2005; and when purchased was missing the data cables.  So my first 2 questions for the group; 1) should I do a reset on the radio so as to start with a clean slate? 2) I have tried to determine i f the data cables are the same as used for the D710; and if not; is there a company that has parts for the D700?

Steve WW4RX

Chrissy Murphy

Hi Steve,

For programming via computer you will need a serial cable, I think it's RS232 (Not sure on that though), It's several years since I purchased in. Do make sure you get a straight through cable, Not a crossover.  If your computer or laptop only has USB connectors you will need a USB to serial converter to make the connectio to the data cable.  These can sometimes be a pain in the ass to source, why I don't know.  I obtained one from Maplins in the UK, although that isn't much use to you I know.  If you do need to obtain one of these have a look at USB Gear in Clearwater FL, they have a good selection of this type of thing.  www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html  I think the cost is around $12  so it's not going to break the bank.

HTH

Kind regards & Best 73
Rob 2E0RHM

Steve WW4RX

noskosteve

Congrats, Steve

If you have Excel 97 or later, I recommend you try my Excel workbook for programming the D700. Link to my site below.

It is easier to use than the Kenwood program.  All memories are on one sheet it and each memory is on one line; italso does some real  time control and reads and saves all menus as well as all the "PM"s (the Kenwood program only saves the active PM).  The memory sheet has some things to meke entries easer such as autocompleting CTCSS frequencies (just enter 107 and the decimal value fills in for you). 

You also have Exce's normal Copy and Paste to rearrange things easily.

There is only one data cable and it does not come with the radio.  It is a standard "straight-through" (NOT Null modem) DE-9 RS-232 serial cable.

Sent from my KnightKit Crystal Set.
--
73, Steve, K9DCI   USN (Vet)  MOT (Ret)  Ham (Yet)

I served during the cold war, so you can continue to be served a cold one.

Manage Radio Memories with an Excel Spreadsheet!
Click to tune. Click to capture Radio freq.
All Memories on one page. Cut, Copy, Paste, Print 'em...
For:
TM-D700 |TH-F6A & F7..........|TS-2000 TS-480| Icom 706MkIIG
All PMs |Real-time & memories | Sat mems too | Loads Mem Tones!
NOT D710|Also Kenwood.fx Files|TS-480in Beta.| semi-automatic

Home Page:
http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/

Full text of my book on Piecewise Polynomial Interpolation Fundamentals.

http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/site/?/page/Piecewise_Polynomial_Interpolation

Laser Light show concepts coming in 2013/14.

Up to date APRS Beginner Guide - updated Oct-2011

http://K9DCI.home.comcast.net
    Click the APRS Beginner INFO link under Contact