Topics

Introduction

W3LZK <ai4ho.mark@...>

Greetings fellow hams and owners of Kenwood's TM-D700A/D710A, my name is Mark Timblin AI4HO, I live in Vero Beach, Fl. have owned my D700A for 6-8 months some where in that time frame, I joined this group 5 or 6 months ago, but for reason due to my disability haven't been able to contribute to much of anything at for some time. I get flare ups of my disease, it may knock me down for a week, a month, sometimes longer. Had to fight through the worst flare up in ages when my wife was diagnosed with cancer of the uterus. After we got her through that, I really went downhill, and just this week finding myself on the upswing. So from mid January until mid May, 5 months. Hopefully I wont be down that long...ever again.

As for the D700A, first dual band that has APRS, I'm not sure of quite all its capabilities, but am eager to delve into it. Other than some basic programming, I don't have much into it, that a few repeaters is about all. I do have it transmitting a beacon, AI4HO-7 I believe it is, have learned how to send and receive messages, didn't have but one person that has this rig in town, and he works a LOT of hours. We did manage a few emails, and accidently hit upon what was lacking to get the D700 to beacon after reading in the manual for the hundredth time.

I hope in the coming weeks, other than questions, I will b able to contribute something meaningful to the group. I thank you for allowing me the opportunity to join your outstanding group here, thank you for your time.

73 de Mark
AI4HO

Tom Schaefer NY4I

Did you change your call recently? Your email from name is W3LZK. You can change that in your email program.

Tom

On May 10, 2013, at 1:20 PM, "W3LZK" <@AI4HO> wrote:

[...]

I went back to AI4HO about a year ago, I took W3LZ my Uncle's call (SK) from 2009 until last year. Decided that W3LZK wasn't me and went back to my original amateur extra call of AI4HO. As for W3LZK in my email everything here on Yahoo is current and showing ai4ho email. I do have another email address that is the same as my current only instead of ai4ho.mark, it is w3lzk.mark at gmail, either one will work, but in my preferences it does show my current email address. Even qrz.com shows, or should show my current email address, I will check again just to make sure.

73 de Mark
AI4HO

On May 10, 2013, at 1:20 PM, "W3LZK" <ai4ho.mark@...> wrote:

[...]

Your email address is indeed @AI4HO, but if you look at your profile in your email client, I suspect under Name you still have W3LZK. The name in your client and your email address are two different things. Where you change this depends upon which email client you are using at the time.

Tom NY4I

727-437-2771

On May 10, 2013, at 4:27 PM, "W3LZK" <@AI4HO> wrote:

[...]

noskosteve

--- "W3LZK" wrote:
As for the D700A, ...I'm not sure of quite all its capabilities...
I do have it transmitting a beacon...
have learned how to send and receive messages...
after reading in the manual for the hundredth time.
73 de Mark, AI4HO

Hi Mark,

May I suggest my Beginner Guide located here:

http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/site/?/page/APRS_Beginner_INFO/

Or the Direct Download Link:
http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/APRS%20Beginner%20Guide%20-%20K9DCI%20Ver%205-1.pdf

It's due for somae updates, but will clarify some things for you.
--
73, Steve, K9DCI

R. Patrick Ryan

More TM-D700A fun:

Learn how to leave a breadcrumb/waypoint marker by mashing the beacon soft
key on and off at a key intersection or point of interest, and save it to
one of the five Position storage locations (GPS, QTH, WORK, CLUB
HOUSE/MEETING, Etc.) and be able to select these when the GPS is not
working;

Learn how to set or save various equipment setups with Program Mode
(PM1-5), including SSID changes and tactical call for public service events
(add callsign to comments when using tactical calls);

Digipeat your position with a different SID off the ISS on a pass overhead
on their APRS/Packet frequency;

Learn to 'home in' to another station using APRS and a GPS from the station
detail page;

Learn to send a simple one line email via EMAIL using the IGates with both
the mike button text, or the tuning knob text selector;

Learn to send and receive multi-line email via WL2K (APRSLink) using the
IGates;

Learn how to set up your TM-D700A as a temporary repeater to same/cross
band from an HT through your TM-D700A and how to restore it to regular APRS
mode;

May I also recommend the Nifty Mini-Manual by N6FN for this radio, and
carry a copy of the manuals in your go-kit. Waiting time or lunch break,
try something new. It is a fun radio, and is very advanced for APRS.

73 de Pat KC6VVT

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM, noskosteve <noskosteve@...> wrote:

--- "W3LZK" wrote:
As for the D700A, ...I'm not sure of quite all its capabilities...
I do have it transmitting a beacon...
have learned how to send and receive messages...
after reading in the manual for the hundredth time.
73 de Mark, AI4HO

Hi Mark,

May I suggest my Beginner Guide located here:

http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/site/?/page/APRS_Beginner_INFO/

Or the Direct Download Link:

http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/APRS%20Beginner%20Guide%20-%20K9DCI%20Ver%205-1.pdf

It's due for somae updates, but will clarify some things for you.
--
73, Steve, K9DCI

R. Patrick Ryan
ARS: KC6VVT Grid: EN51lf