Topics

Input to tnc

Joseph LaFerla

Edited

I have been experiencing a continuing problem with aprs that I do not seem to be getting out enough, even with full 50w power.  I am using the D700A in tnc pkt mode.  I am only able to get digipeated by one station very close to me, although I do have line of sight to others.

I don't know if "gain" is the right word but is there any way with the D700a of changing the amount of gain into the tnc?  I think I might be overdriving the tnc or maybe under driving it.  I looked  in the manuals but could not find anything.   I will be looking next at the audio waveform on a scope to see what it looks like.

Thanks in advance.

Joe VA3JLF

Joseph Shynn

Hi Joe,

Let’s start with the following question...
Is the D700 in APRS mode wIth the GPS flashing?

Joey VA3GOC

Joseph LaFerla

no Joey.  I am running the kenwood in tnc-pkt mode using yaac.  I do not have a gps.

Joe VA3JLF

Joseph Shynn

Hi Joe,

I'm familiar with YAAC.

Are you trying to run a digipeater?

If the D700 is close to the 710 in functionality shouldn't the TNC settings be set to APRS mode?

I can't quite wrap my head around your end result.

Oh, the cabling.

Anyway please enlighten me.

Then we'll go off list.

Joey VA3GOC

Joseph LaFerla

HI Joey

No I am not trying to run a digipeater.  According to the yaac manual, putting the d700 in aprs mode only allows for receiving packets because the d700 is not able for whatever reason to transmit.  If I want to transmit, according to the manual, I have to put the tnc in packet mode and use a serial tnc interface on yaac.  I have not tried to connect the d700 in aprs mode in yaac.  I know that the d700 has a separate tnc and the d710 has an integrated tnc.

I have connected everything as it should be.  My antenna is a dual band and it checks out with my analyzer.  It is at about 35 feet and that is the only thing that may be the issue,  I have a fellow coming over to do some antenna work so I will try and get that antenna higher up.  Anyway, do you want to go off list now?

Joe VA3JLF

Thomas Moss

I ran into a similar issue where we finally determined the radio drifted off frequency enough the packet was effected but not noticed on voice.

73 Thomas KC5KCT

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020, 7:17 PM Joseph LaFerla <joe@...> wrote:
no Joey.  I am running the kenwood in tnc-pkt mode using yaac.  I do not have a gps.

Joe VA3JLF

Joseph Shynn

Hi Joe,

Then I have reached my limit.

I own D710s and was running YAAC as the receiver of off-air APRS packets and independent GPS data.

Does the D700 have audio gain settings as does the D710?

Perhaps low deviation out of the 700?

Wish I could help more.

List?

Joey VA3GOC

Joseph LaFerla

Hi Joey

Thanks for getting back.  Actually that was the question I had that I perhaps did not phrase correctly.   I could not find any audio gain settings in the D700.  I am surprised that the 710 has audio gain settings but not the D700.  However I obtained a deviation meter the other day and, if I read it correctly, it gave me about 3 Khz.  I went into the D700 alignment menu and raised the deviation closer to 5.  I am today going to check on my packet path.

What do you mean by list?  Should we put this back to the list?  I will post my deviation findings on the list.

Joe VA3JLF

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I own D710s and was running YAAC as the receiver of off-air APRS packets and independent GPS data.

Does the D700 have audio gain settings as does the D710?

Perhaps low deviation out of the 700?

Wish I could help more.

List?

Joey VA3GOC

Joseph Shynn

Hi Joe,

Looking at your map view I don’t see any iGates anywhere near you.
How are you getting to the interweb thingy?

Joey

[...]

<F4BB36508D7F40FC8458583B1102EDAD.png>