Elecraft kx3

Elecraft K3/P3

Pls contact me with your offers.

Prices are very competitive.

K9FS

k9fs73@...

Dr. Bob Kieffer

Steven KA9MOT <ka9mot@...>

We all know that this is probably a scammer, correct?

Steve KA9MOT

On Apr 6, 2016 2:36 AM, "larry_rj73@... [TMD700A]" <TMD700A@...> wrote:

FLex 6300

Flex 6500

Icom IC 7850

Icom IC 7600

Elecraft kx3

Elecraft K3/P3

K9FS

k9fs73@...

Dr. Bob Kieffer

David Hightower

I'm new to the ham world. I don't know much about the items offered for sale, but I did do an FCC search on the call sign and got a hit that matched the name. What about this makes it look like a scam?

On Apr 6, 2016, at 12:49 AM, Steven KA9MOT ka9mot@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Steve KA9MOT

FLex 6300

Flex 6500

Icom IC 7850

Icom IC 7600

Elecraft kx3

Elecraft K3/P3

K9FS

k9fs73@...

Dr. Bob Kieffer

Hi Dave,

For starters there is close to $20k worth of radios for sale for pennies 9n the dollar.
That's Red Flag number 1.

The user name of the Yahoo group member that posted this ad on multiple Yahoo Groups  and does not match the sellers name or callsign.

Red Flag number 2.

That was all I needed, to be suspicious.  The next step is a quick check of the callsign on QRZ.
We find that Dr. Bob's qrz account has been changed very recently (to change the email to the scammers email). We also see the the radios are listed as owned there, but are not pictured.

So, I don't want to accuse anybody without proof, so I called Dr. Bob this morning and confirmed that he does not have these radios for sale.

Go to qrz.com and look through the Ham to Ham references section as well as the Stolen Radios/Scams section.
Read the stickies,  they will teach you what to look for.

Steve KA9MOT

On Apr 6, 2016 10:43 AM, "Dave Hightower dwhightowe@... [TMD700A]" <TMD700A@...> wrote:

I'm new to the ham world. I don't know much about the items offered for sale, but I did do an FCC search on the call sign and got a hit that matched the name. What about this makes it look like a scam?

On Apr 6, 2016, at 12:49 AM, Steven KA9MOT ka9mot@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Steve KA9MOT

FLex 6300

Flex 6500

Icom IC 7850

Icom IC 7600

Elecraft kx3

Elecraft K3/P3

K9FS

k9fs73@...

Dr. Bob Kieffer

David Hightower

Steve,

Thanks for all that. I feel a little less naive now. 

-Dave

On Apr 6, 2016, at 8:52 AM, Steven KA9MOT ka9mot@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,

For starters there is close to $20k worth of radios for sale for pennies 9n the dollar.

The user name of the Yahoo group member that posted this ad on multiple Yahoo Groups  and does not match the sellers name or callsign.

Red Flag number 2.

That was all I needed, to be suspicious.  The next step is a quick check of the callsign on QRZ.
We find that Dr. Bob's qrz account has been changed very recently (to change the email to the scammers email). We also see the the radios are listed as owned there, but are not pictured.

So, I don't want to accuse anybody without proof, so I called Dr. Bob this morning and confirmed that he does not have these radios for sale.

Go to qrz.com and look through the Ham to Ham references section as well as the Stolen Radios/Scams section.

Steve KA9MOT

On Apr 6, 2016 10:43 AM, "Dave Hightower dwhightowe@... [TMD700A]" <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Steve KA9MOT

FLex 6300

Flex 6500

Icom IC 7850

Icom IC 7600

Elecraft kx3

Elecraft K3/P3

K9FS

k9fs73@...

Dr. Bob Kieffer

Dave,

I have bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of radio equipment online.  Most of my results have been very good. Most hams are honest, but we do have these scammers floating around who probably aren't even hams, who are scamming among us. Be careful and never use oddball payment methods. No Western Union, Bank Transfers etc. PayPal can and will protect you should a sale go badly.

First though, go to qrz.com and educate yourself.

Steve KA9MOT

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~  Andrew Jackson

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Dave Hightower dwhightowe@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Steve,

-Dave

On Apr 6, 2016, at 8:52 AM, Steven KA9MOT ka9mot@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,

Red Flag number 2.

Steve KA9MOT

Steve KA9MOT

FLex 6300

Flex 6500

Icom IC 7850

Icom IC 7600

Elecraft kx3

Elecraft K3/P3

K9FS

k9fs73@...

Dr. Bob Kieffer

Bill Seward <bill.seward@...>

For me, it's that I've seen it with a number of other call signs on various other amateur related groups.  It started out with prices listed, now it's morphed to asking for offers.

Bill
KG4SAQ

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Dave Hightower dwhightowe@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Steve KA9MOT

FLex 6300

Flex 6500

Icom IC 7850

Icom IC 7600

Elecraft kx3

Elecraft K3/P3

K9FS

k9fs73@...

Dr. Bob Kieffer

Benny D. Miller Jr.

Dave,

Just a follow up with PayPal. They DO NOT have an ESCROW AGENT. Some folks have been known to try, and have you pay a PayPal Escrow Agent to hold your money, they will hold it till they get their hands on it and it is gone.

Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 12:21 PM
To: TMD700A@...
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] Icom IC 7850 & Flex 6300 for sale.,,.

Dave,

I have bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of radio equipment online.  Most of my results have been very good. Most hams are honest, but we do have these scammers floating around who probably aren't even hams, who are scamming among us. Be careful and never use oddball payment methods. No Western Union, Bank Transfers etc. PayPal can and will protect you should a sale go badly.

First though, go to qrz.com and educate yourself.

Steve KA9MOT

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~  Andrew Jackson

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Dave Hightower dwhightowe@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Steve,

-Dave

Hi Dave,

Red Flag number 2.

Steve KA9MOT

Steve KA9MOT

FLex 6300

Flex 6500

Icom IC 7850

Icom IC 7600

Elecraft kx3

Elecraft K3/P3

K9FS

k9fs73@...