How to use internal tnc D710GA

Joseph LaFerla

Hi

I have just obtained a D710GA and am trying to use the internal tnc to do aprs. Can someone help me with how to connect the radio to the computer which runs my aprs software?  I have the kenwood provided serial cable that plugs into the 9 pin mini din on the back of the main body of the radio (not the control head).  When I tune the radio, I can hear the packets coming in but nothing shows up on the computer.  I have activated the internal tnc and tried it in both aprs mode and packet mode with no difference.  I am able to connect an external tnc to the data port and that works fine.

Thanks in advance

Joe VA3JLF

David Ranch

Hello Joe,

The serial connection on the back of the main radio body of a D710 is for programming the memories of the radio, to be used with Echolink, and also use the working-but-not-Kenwood-supported CAT control.   It's the connector on the back of the D710 head that is used for packet work.

Once you connect to the D710's head, use a serial terminal program like say Putty running at a serial speed of 9600bps, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, tap the lower right soft-key on the D710's control head labeled "TNC" until the Upper left of the display says "PACKET12".  At that point, you should see the TNC boot up in your serial terminal program.  That will prove that things are at least talking.  From there, you can start configuring your APRS program.  It's also worth mentioning that the D710 has it's own internal APRS functionality that's enabled by putting the TNC into "APRS12" mode using the "TNC" soft-key mentioned above.

If your interested in trying classic packet as well, I have a cheatsheet below:

   http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/misc/D710-TNC-setup.txt

--David
KI6ZHD

On 11/07/2020 01:53 PM, Joseph LaFerla wrote:
Hi

I have just obtained a D710GA and am trying to use the internal tnc to do aprs. Can someone help me with how to connect the radio to the computer which runs my aprs software?  I have the kenwood provided serial cable that plugs into the 9 pin mini din on the back of the main body of the radio (not the control head).  When I tune the radio, I can hear the packets coming in but nothing shows up on the computer.  I have activated the internal tnc and tried it in both aprs mode and packet mode with no difference.  I am able to connect an external tnc to the data port and that works fine.

Thanks in advance

Joe VA3JLF

Jeff

Also, I think I read somewhere that the D710GA does *NOT* pass the GPS data out the connector on the head with APRS data if you are using the built-in GPS in the D710GA. For that, I think you have to use an external GPS in the same manner as with the D710A.

I don't have a 710G, but only a 710, so I can't verify this myself. Can anyone confirm my understanding on this?

Jeff
N5TEV

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 06:00 PM, David Ranch wrote:
Hello Joe,

The serial connection on the back of the main radio body of a D710 is for programming the memories of the radio, to be used with Echolink, and also use the working-but-not-Kenwood-supported CAT control.   It's the connector on the back of the D710 head that is used for packet work.
Also worth noting that the same cable should work for both applications.

BTW I just recently purchased a cable for my D710GA. I about to buy the Kenwood cable with the DIN connector on one end and a DB-9 connector on the other when I realized that
RT Systems makes a cable that has a USB adaptor already built in (USB-K5G) for about the same price as the Kenwood cable with the DB-9 (requiring a USB-serial adaptor for
most applications).

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB

Joseph LaFerla

Thanks Michael

I was not aware that the 710GA had 2 serial ports.  I could not find anything on the documentation about it.  Although the same cable could be used for both applications, in order to avoid cable swapping I am purchasing two and leave them connected all the time.  I assume that this will mean two com ports on the computer, which is not a problem in my case.  Once I did this all is well!!!!

Joe VA3JLF

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Thanks David.  You explained this perfectly for me and I now have got the 710 working as it should.  Regarding the aprs mode, I understand that I am only able to read packets but cannot transmit.  The only way to transmit is to use the packet12.

Joe

[...]

The APRS12 mode on a D710 can definitely transmit but only the TNC will create the required packets for position, objects, and even be a digipeater.  If you're looking for your computer-based program to be the packet creator, then yes, you'll want the D710 to be in PACKET12 mode to have the program put the D710's TNC into "KISS" mode or leave the TNC in COMMAND mode and use it in a hybrid way.

If you can tell us the program you're wanting to use and what you're trying to do, we can help you more.

--David
KI6ZHD

On 11/08/2020 07:12 PM, Joseph LaFerla wrote:

[...]

Hi David

Thank you  very much for your reply.  Thankfully I think I am now on my way thanks to you and others on the list.  I am using YAAC and according to the manual the Kenwood port on the program can only receive packets, which I am able to do.  The program provides an alternative serial port which you can use with the radio in packet12 mode and Kiss on the serial port.  I am using the D710 as a base station; I guess if I had it mounted in my car, then I would put it in aprs12 mode and it would be able to receive and transmit packets.  I now see the difference.

I bought the D710 used and it did not come with the original cd which contains basic but important setup information and I could not find the cd files on the Kenwood website. The other day further googling enabled me to find them and guess what, in the packet section it clearly mentions the 9 pin serial port on the control head!  Anyway, now I am glad that I found the cd files.  I was surprised that they are not prominently contained in the kenwood site.

Thanks again.

Joe VA#JLF

[...]

Ok.. that's the two common ways APRS programs can interact with the D710 TNC.  I have read some programs attempt to toggle the D710 from APRS12 mode to PACKET12 to transmit a UI packet and toggle back to APRS12 mode but it's a bit of a kludge.  This approach gives you better leverage the native APRS display on the D710 but I don't know how well it works in reality.

I bought the D710 used and it did not come with the original cd which contains basic but important setup information and I could not find the cd files on the Kenwood website. The other day further googling enabled me to find them and guess what, in the packet section it clearly mentions the 9 pin serial port on the control head!  Anyway, now I am glad that I found the cd files.  I was surprised that they are not prominently contained in the kenwood site.

The newest manuals and firmware are always on kenwood's website.  It's also worth mentioning that you should check your D710 is running the newest firmwares (yes, there are multiple).  These firmwares have bugfixes, new features, etc.

--David
KI6ZHD