How to do SkyCommand and APRS from Mobile & HT

WD8ARZ <wd8arz@...>

Here is how I do SkyCommand and APRS from my Mobile & Handy
Talkie. It sounds more difficult than it actually is.
Install and configure one portion of the system at a time.
Test it, and debug as needed. Then do the next .... etc etc
You can spread out the purchase of the items to manage costs
over time.

I very much enjoy using the features of Kenwood radios. One is
called Kenwood Sky Command
http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/tm_d700ae.html

The other is called APRS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Packet_Reporting_System

The radios have built in TNC's for sky-command digital
interfacing. A Kenwood hf radio in the mobile is cabled to
the vhf/uhf radio that is controlling its frequency, mode, and
transmit / receive operations.

APRS is part of the Kenwood vhf/uhf dual band radio. GPS may be
external for some vhf/uhf dual band radios such as the TM-D700AG
or internal as in the TM-D710AG.

TMD-700AG needs and external GPS receiver to provide coordinates.
Used an external Deluo Universal model for years. Still have
this unit. It is round with a magnetic base to stick on the roof.
Cable reaches into the vehicle to plug in to the laptop for
what ever program that needs gps data. One model uses a usb
arrangement, and the older version I have for the Kenwood
TMD-7AG HT to use has the adapter cable that plugs into the
walkie talkie connector for GPS data.

Deluo GPS5 Universal Magnetic Puck is still here with the
interface cables needed for use with the Kenwood TH-D7AG.
Yep, still have the HT too .... hi hi

An external navigation map display shows the location of my
station as I drive around, and also shows the locations of
other stations using sky-command. I do configure the mobile
so its transmitted coordinates have the last two digits for
latitude and longitude truncated. That puts my actual position
a few miles from its real position to thwart theft of gear.

Currently I am using the AvMap Navigation model GeoSat G5
Navigator and it provides the GPS signal to the TM-D700AG and
displays the heard APRS stations on its map display from either
radio D700 or D710 (no computer needed for either radio control).
http://www.avmap.us/products/terr/geosat_5_aprs-512/introduction

The AvMap model GeoSat G6 can also be used.
http://www.avmap.us/products/terr/geosat_6_aprs-664/introduction

These are the only two models I know of that display the aprs
data from the Kenwood radios to the navigation map display.

Recently I upgraded to using the TMD-710AG vhf/uhf dual bander
which has a GPS unit built in to its control panel. It will
soon replace the radio in the vehicle and I wont have to
use a separate gps puck. However a separate GPS can be
used with the TM-D700AG if you want the outside pickup
of the GPS satellites. So far I have found the built in
GPS part of the TM-D710AG control display panel to work just
fine.

A remote Kenwood dual bander using sky-command links to the
mobile dual bander sky-command system. Using a walkie talkie
for this remote radio lets me take walks and operate the HF
rig as if I was there with me. I can from the HT change
modes, frequency, etc of the remote hf radio.... and of
course controlling the transmit from the HT to the dual
bander in the vehicle.

Radios Are:
HF: TS-480HX in the mobile, and cabled up to a dual bander
Dual Band at HF mobile site: Kenwood TM-D710AG (with sky-command)
Dual Band at Base operation location: TM-D7100AG (with sky-command)
Dual Band HT: Kenwood TH-D7AG (with sky-command)

Cabling Up For SkyCommand:

 Kenwood TS-480 TM-D700A ** Cable Set ** Sky Command
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-TS-480-TM-D700A-Cable-Set-Sky-Command-/130322555319

Note these are for the TMD700 Dual band radio

The following link will open a page that has just about all the
cables you should need.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XKenwood+TS-480+TM-D710A+**+Cable+Set+**+Sky+Command+.TRS0&_nkw=Kenwood+TS-480+TM-D710A+**+Cable+Set+**+Sky+Command+&_sacat=0

Note these are for the TMD710 Dual band radio

Both radios use a standard straight connected serial cable from
the dual band radio to the hf radio. Standard shielded audio
in and out cables are also needed using the connectors that
your radios require.

Here is what I use for the software so I can save memory data for the
radio. It is much easier to create and modify memory files on the
computer and upload them to the radio than to create them on the
radio alone.

KRS-D710G USB Cable & RT Systems Software TM-D710G
https://www.amazon.com/KRS-D710G-RT-Systems-Software-TM-D710G/dp/B00I7W2Q64/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=946K2DXN8Y2P637A7H6W

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ
South Bend, Indiana