From: TMD700A@groups.io <TMD700A@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lou via groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 6, 2020 9:48 PM
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Subject: [TMD700A] GPS Unit for D710A

So Finally transferring my D710 to my new truck, and I am looking for a better solution for the GPS unit. Currently I have a hacked together Magnetic GPS unit that I threw together with a small breadboard to interface with the D710 and provide the needed 5V (small linear regulator). Would love to have one of the Green Light Labs units or something similar, but those are basically unattainable (unless someone here has one they want to part with).

Other than being a slightly better hack, are there any clean solutions readily available?

Thanks

K2LRV

KH2TJ

I have NIB GPS-710 and the 24'' extension.  Never used.  Never got around to replacing my old D700.  Boxes opened when first purchased to inspect and have a look at it.   Think I paid somewhere around $129 for the GPS unit.  Can't recall what I paid for the  extension.   I'd let it go for $80.00 iffen you want it...I'll pay the shipping...US Postal money order works for me...

73, Todd KH2TJ

From: TMD700A@groups.io

Would love to have one of the Green Light Labs units or something similar, but those are basically unattainable (unless someone here has one they want to part with).

K2LRV

Frank J Rossi Jr

I just put a new GPS on my D-700 about 3 months ago.
This is the best Bang for the $.
GlobalSat BR-355 BR-355 Serial GPS Receiver.  (There is 2 versions, Make sure it is the Serial Version)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VUFGF8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this is how I power it.
BINZET DC Converter Step Down Regulator 5V Regulated Power Supplies Transformer Converter (5V 3A 15W)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3MHRNO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just cut the end off the plug, 4 wires.
5v+, Ground, GPS In, GPS Out.

Very low power consumption, I leave it powered 24/7, in my Truck.
RX is very sensitive, it has a magnet back on it and I just stuck it on the top of my radio.
Locks on the SATS quick.

So for $47.54 you can replace your GPS for a Kenwood D-700

N3FLR - Frank