Topics

gps unit for APRS

paul dallard

Hey guys,
Finally got the bug for APRS. Have had the TMD-700A for 10 years.... And never ever considered APRS... Until now. Was down at HRO today, and the only GPS unit they had was a Garmin GPS-18X. What unit are most hams using for this function? Suggestions are welcome.

De KM3W
On Jun 23, 2012, at 15:52, Patrick Ryan KC6VVT <@KC6VVT> wrote:

Don't do it, the RC-D710 is not designed to replace the TM-D700A control
head!

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/Mobiles/RC-D710
lists the TM-D700A as a supported model, but does not replace its control
head.

Only the R-2000 will fully control and replace the TM-D700A control head.

73 de Pat KC6VVT

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Terry <@w6lmj> wrote:

I am considering upgrading the TM-D700A by purchasing the RC710. I wonder
how many do this, or should I simply buy the TM-710?

Terry - W6LMJ

R. Patrick Ryan
ARS: KC6VVT

@KC6VVT

Burt Sammis <kango03@...>

De, I use two AvMap GeoSat 5s. One with a D700 in my Honda truck and one with a D710 in my Honda Pilot.
Very pleased with the operation of both. Considered buying a G6 but decided I did not need to spend the money.

Burt
AF5AA

To: TMD700A@...
From: shield1751@...
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:14:39 -0400
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] gps unit for APRS

[...]

That's the one that comes with the Kenwood cable right?

To: TMD700A@...
From: shield1751@...
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:14:39 -0400

Hey guys,

Finally got the bug for APRS. Have had the TMD-700A for 10 years.... And never ever considered APRS... Until now. Was down at HRO today, and the only GPS unit they had was a Garmin GPS-18X. What unit are most hams using for this function? Suggestions are welcome.

De KM3W

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 23, 2012, at 15:52, Patrick Ryan KC6VVT <@KC6VVT> wrote:

Don't do it, the RC-D710 is not designed to replace the TM-D700A control
head!
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/Mobiles/RC-D710
lists the TM-D700A as a supported model, but does not replace its control
head.
Only the R-2000 will fully control and replace the TM-D700A control head.
73 de Pat KC6VVT
On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Terry <@w6lmj> wrote:
I am considering upgrading the TM-D700A by purchasing the RC710. I wonder
how many do this, or should I simply buy the TM-710?
Terry - W6LMJ
R. Patrick Ryan
ARS: KC6VVT
@KC6VVT

Mark Wolff

Pretty much any functional GPS w/ NEMA output capability will do the trick.  I've made up a cable to connect my Garmin 60cx for my 700 APRS service so far.  Been looking at one of these (http://www.adafruit.com/products/746)so I can free up the Garmin for other duties though.

MW / N4MEW
Duval County ARES AEC
Mark@...

Burt Sammis <kango03@...>

Yes De that is the one.
Occasionally you can find the G5 here, on QRZ, QTH and ebay.
Burt
AF5AA

To: TMD700A@...

From: shield1751@...
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:14:39 -0400
[...]

Thanks, I will take a look....

Paul
KM3W

________________________________

To: TMD700A@...

From: shield1751@...
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:14:39 -0400
[...]

De, a Garmin nuvi 350 does the same thing a lot cheaper with less bells and whistles. The screen is much smaller.
You can find a 350 on ebay fairly easy. You have to order from Argent (spelling) a special cable that cost, I think, $48.
I ran one with my D700 for a while. Did not have any problems. Just decided I wanted another toy.

Burt
AF5AA

To: TMD700A@...
From: shield1751@...
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 20:08:03 -0700

Thanks, I will take a look....

Paul

KM3W

________________________________

To: TMD700A@...

From: shield1751@...

Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:14:39 -0400

[...]

------------------------------------

Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@...

R. Patrick Ryan

ARS: KC6VVT

@KC6VVT

------------------------------------

Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@...

------------------------------------

Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@...

paul dallard

What kind of money are we talking? Because the unit we talked about was $400.00!!!

________________________________

From: shield1751@...
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 20:08:03 -0700

      Thanks, I will take a look....

Paul

KM3W

________________________________

To: TMD700A@...

From: shield1751@...

Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:14:39 -0400

[...]

Chrissy Murphy

With my 700A I originally used the Geosat5 Blu which was a full blown Sat Nav with APRS facilities, designed for connection to the 710. The cost of this piece of kit (junk) was around $600. Very nice colour screen, easy to use and ideal. Unfortunately, like a lot of other things, a few months outside the warranty period the colour screen went on the blink. the circuit boards, surface mounted would not be easy to repair. The cost of returning the unit back to base, Italy, was prohibitive that was before any repair. So, I'll give you guys three guesses where it ended up. Right in one, in the bottom of the cupboard in the shack.

I replaced it with a Garmin Streetpilot 3 purchased off ebay, very cheaply, and connected with a purpose built cable obtained off ebay, again very cheaply, the whole sheebang only cost aound $65 - $70. I've had no problems at all and have run this for around three years until earlier this month when I changed the car. It's still waiting for fitting in the new car along with the radio.

So, my advice, look for a Garmin Street Pilot2 or 3 on ebay and if necessary you can obtain a custom built power cable from Mike Griffin, WE6G, over in Arizona, and you're away running.

HTH
Bob 2E0RHM.

****************************************************************************************************************************************

Charles Doughtie

FWIW I bought a  NUVI350 via ebay and Garmin would not register it to me or update the maps until they were satisfied that it was not stolen. They work very well with the Argent cable (I have two of them) and Garmin will repair/replace one with a refurbished for a flat rate (about $70 last time I checked) if it develops a problem. The battery can be replaced for about fifteen bucks if you are confident in your skills.

de Charlie, N5EXY, grid EM10fl,
South Suburban Greater Hutto

From: shield1751@...
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 08:36:08 -0700