Topics

GPS replacement for Camper

kb3qld@...

Happy Thanksgiving!

So my GPS was stolen out of my car a few weeks back (they tried but were unsuccessful in pulling my 710 control head of the dash!) so I am in the market for a new unit.  I'm looking for advice and suggestions with the following parameters:

  • Able to talk to the 710 with information for APRS (hence why I am asking on this forum)
  • Ability to program routes for larger vehicles (i.e. van and 32 foot camper)
  • lifetime map update
  • ideally able to upload trip information from computer (i.e. using GoodSam trip planner to GPS)

I am very impressed with the Rand McNally RVND 7730 and the Garmin RV760 LMT for their RV functions but I can not find in literature or reviews anywhere if there is a way to output the GPS data to the 710.  Obviously the AVMAP Geosat 6 is the best APRS option out there, but I cant determine if it can handle uploaded routes and if it has RV/Camper specific routing?

Any advice would be appreciated!
73
Jarrett KB3QLD

Denis

Hi Jerrett,

I have the AVMAP 4 amd 5. They work ok and I like that the APRS stations are displayed on the map. But with the cost for map updates at about $120.00 I got a Garmin with lifetime map updates.Argentdata www.argentdata.com/support/fmi.html makes a converter cable for the Kenwood APRS radios.

Denis, WB8SKP

[...]

Mike

From a purely GPS, Navigation point of view, how good is the AvMap or Geosat 6?

I want APRS capability for sure, but also need a GPS unit for my Jeep.  Is the AvMap a decent enough GPS?  Does it compare to other more common GPS units?