GPS Pucks For APRS as by WD8ARZ

WD8ARZ <wd8arz@...>

When an external GPS sensor was needed for a computer program, or ham
radio externally connected to a radio such as the Kenwood TH-D7AG Walkie Talkie,
I have used two types:

BU-353S4 Round with magnetic base with USB connector for the computer
https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-S4-USB-Receiver-Black/dp/B008200LHW

http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/gps.php

They also have a Deluo GPS Universal square with magnetic base with usb connector
that is more sensitive and picks up more gps satellites.

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ - South Bend, Indiana

Andrew O'Brien <k3ukandy@...>

Thanks. Very useful info. I still have my old D700A gathering dust these
days, I should activate as an APRS station.
Andy K3UK

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 9:41 AM, WD8ARZ wd8arz@comcast.net [TMD700A] <
TMD700A@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

When an external GPS sensor was needed for a computer program, or ham
radio externally connected to a radio such as the Kenwood TH-D7AG Walkie
Talkie,
I have used two types:

BU-353S4 Round with magnetic base with USB connector for the computer
https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-S4-USB-
Receiver-Black/dp/B008200LHW

http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/gps.php

They also have a Deluo GPS Universal square with magnetic base with usb
connector
that is more sensitive and picks up more gps satellites.

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ - South Bend, Indiana

WD8ARZ <wd8arz@...>

Dont forget to truncate some of the last digits in the Lat / Long data to avoid your exact
location being broadcast.

Good to hear from you Andy.

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ

On 10/10/2016 11:32 AM, 'Andrew O'Brien' k3ukandy@gmail.com [TMD700A] wrote:
Thanks. Very useful info. I still have my old D700A gathering dust these
days, I should activate as an APRS station.
Andy K3UK

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 9:41 AM, WD8ARZ wd8arz@comcast.net [TMD700A] <
TMD700A@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

When an external GPS sensor was needed for a computer program, or ham
radio externally connected to a radio such as the Kenwood TH-D7AG Walkie
Talkie, I have used two types:

snip snip

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ - South Bend, Indiana

ESvalland <n2jhj@...>

Why would you want to avoid your exact location being broadcast?

On 10/10/2016 11:32 AM, 'Andrew O'Brien' k3ukandy@... [TMD700A] wrote:
> Thanks. Very useful info. I still have my old D700A gathering dust these
> days, I should activate as an APRS station.
> Andy K3UK
>
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 9:41 AM, WD8ARZ wd8arz@... [TMD700A] <
> TMD700A@...> wrote:
>
>> When an external GPS sensor was needed for a computer program, or ham
>> radio externally connected to a radio such as the Kenwood TH-D7AG Walkie
>> Talkie, I have used two types:
>>
>> snip snip
>>
>> 73 from Bill - WD8ARZ - South Bend, Indiana

N5TEV@...

Despite the previous suggestion to do so, employing position ambiguity is not something that most Hams operating APRS are going to want to do most of the time.  It kind of defeats the purpose of accurate positioning of local real-time situational awareness.

However, the ability to add position ambiguity is an option that can be selectively employed by exception in certain limited circumstances, when needed for specific reasons. Some people operate in that manner all the time in all places, as is their right, but it is not necessarily appropriate to suggest using position ambiguity to others as a blanket default operating practice.

Jeff
N5TEV

Chris Hann <chann94501@...>

Specifically, and simply, some people who operate fixed locations don't want to broadcast the exact location of their thousands of dollars of radio and computer equipment. I don't bother because I only use it mobile, the rest of the time people can read my address on qrz.com. Which sort of makes the position ambiguity pointless. I doubt anyone is going to use the position where I stop for lunch to come and break into my truck.

Chris Hann
N9HY

On Monday, October 10, 2016 11:10 AM, "N5TEV@... [TMD700A]" wrote:

Despite the previous suggestion to do so, employing position ambiguity is not something that most Hams operating APRS are going to want to do most of the time.  It kind of defeats the purpose of accurate positioning of local real-time situational awareness.

However, the ability to add position ambiguity is an option that can be selectively employed by exception in certain limited circumstances, when needed for specific reasons. Some people operate in that manner all the time in all places, as is their right, but it is not necessarily appropriate to suggest using position ambiguity to others as a blanket default operating practice.

Jeff
N5TEV

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

If I am traveling away from home with exact GPS positioning being broadcast by my GPS-enabled TM-D700A, am I not announcing to the world "I am not at home; come rob me!!??" [1]  Or, "Find my position, wait until my car is unattended, then break in!"

That might be one tiny, little reason to avoid exact position broadcasting.

Those of us whose homes have been broken into and robbed will understand!  Don't ask me how I know. ((:-(

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC

[1] And don't assume all persons who hold amateur radio licenses are totally upstanding, honest folks.  Most are, but it only takes one or two who aren't to spoil your day.

Despite the previous suggestion to do so, employing position ambiguity is not something that most Hams operating APRS are going to want to do most of the time.  It kind of defeats the purpose of accurate positioning of local real-time situational awareness.

However, the ability to add position ambiguity is an option that can be selectively employed by exception in certain limited circumstances, when needed for specific reasons. Some people operate in that manner all the time in all places, as is their right, but it is not necessarily appropriate to suggest using position ambiguity to others as a blanket default operating practice.

Jeff
N5TEV

N5TEV@...

Ironically, if someone were truly worried about "thousands of dollars" of ham radio equipment at a QTH announced by APRS reporting at a fixed location, peace of mind can be purchased for a very low "premium".  And I'm not talking about "insurance".  A determined Ham can simply update their address in the FCC database to a PO box, or a private delivery delivery location (UPS Store delivery box). In fact, the FCC only requires a valid mailing address.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se47.5.97_123&rgn=div8

And Here:
Do I have to list my mailing address in the application?

No. However, you must provide an address where you can receive your license. A post office box is acceptable.

https://www.fcc.gov/help/updating-administrative-information-license-universal-licensing-system-uls

Chris Hann <chann94501@...>

Then don't use APRS. No amount of ambiguity, which still leaves the position with any useful data, is going to conceal the fact that you are not at your registered address. If you care about random others tracking your vehicle then switch APRS off when you get near your destination. I've always found the big give-away for hams is the antennas. Not telling anyone where to look does add some security.

Anyway, the facility is there for anyone to use and I really don't care who does or doesn't. It's not my business and doesn't negatively affect me in any way. If it gives you a feeling of security to obfuscate your position then do it. But in that case, really, why are you bothering to broadcast it in the first place?

Chris Hann

[...]

Don't ever leave home, hire a food taster, don't answer the door, never answer the phone, live alone and never trust anyone.  Watch out for meteorites.
Andy K3UK

[...]

Using a PO Box to "mask" your true QTH is pointless nowadays. There are too many on-line databases that pull from several sources(tax records, census, drivers license, etc). One can find your address in less than 5 minutes without much effort.  Also, if you brought up your APRS station once with a "true" lat/long and the broadcast made it to a digi, then it will probably be forever listed in aprs.fi.

On 10/10/2016 9:08 PM, N5TEV@... [TMD700A] wrote:

Ironically, if someone were truly worried about "thousands of dollars" of ham radio equipment at a QTH announced by APRS reporting at a fixed location, peace of mind can be purchased for a very low "premium".  And I'm not talking about "insurance".  A determined Ham can simply update their address in the FCC database to a PO box, or a private delivery delivery location (UPS Store delivery box). In fact, the FCC only requires a valid mailing address.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se47.5.97_123&rgn=div8

And Here:
Do I have to list my mailing address in the application?

No. However, you must provide an address where you can receive your license. A post office box is acceptable.

https://www.fcc.gov/help/updating-administrative-information-license-universal-licensing-system-uls

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

"Then don't use APRS."

Geez, what a pejorative admonition.  I thought the "gentlemen's debate" was over whether there may be times folks might not want to use precise position reporting with APRS, and I was responding to a post that implied it should always be used.  I guess there's a lot of "my way or the highway" attitude among some operators, and not much room for polite debate.

But, in actuality, I don't use APRS except when I take part in the annual "Golden Packet" event.

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC