Topics

GPS Jack pin-out

ka9mot@...

I've been reading that the manual has the Pin-out wrong. It shows the ground ring as "GROUND", The middle conductor as "DATA IN" and the TIP as "DATA OUT".

Is the manual incorrect? Does anybody have the correct Pin-out? I've looked through the Files section and see some great information, but I can find nothing on this.

I've taken on of those Pharos GPS-500 that comes with Microsoft Streets and Trips and I have managed to power it with 5V (using 7805 Regulator) and I am pulling the data off of it. I just need to insure I don't cook the rig.

Any advice would be helpful.

And PAT KC6VVT, I'm back!!!! :) KA9MOT-9 will be on the air again. :)

Steve KA9MOT

R. Patrick Ryan

Steve KA9MOT

'Bout time you get back into APRS.

I used this scheme on an old digitraveler GPS.to the 2.5 mm 3 conductor jack on the radio

1    tip     white      GPS Data in     W
2    ring    red    GPS Data out      Brn
3    slv    shield    GPS Ground       Blk

The other end of the cable went to a DB-9, ;and found I had to use a NULL modem to get the NMEA data from the GPS to work into the TM-D700A.

Given a 50-50 chance with data sense, I will always pick the wrong one first time out! Be forewarned that Murphy is a fellow Irishman, hi.

You will know the rig is getting good GPS data by the flashing of 'GPS' top right center of the radio display.or by watching the data scroll in the APRS soft key menu.

If the NMEA Data is correct, the radio APRS soft key menu POS display will update your position,

73 de Pat

--
R. Patrick Ryan
ARS: KC6VVT Grid: EN51lf

Charles Blackburn <young_gun262001@...>

Thnx for the info, i was just going to ask the same question....

FYI, rule #1 of RS232.... If it doesn't work... swap 2 and 3 :D

charlie

TMD700A@...> wrote:

I've been reading that the manual has the Pin-out wrong. It shows the
ground ring as "GROUND", The middle conductor as "DATA IN" and the TIP as
"DATA OUT".

Is the manual incorrect? Does anybody have the correct Pin-out? I've
looked through the Files section and see some great information, but I can
find nothing on this.

I've taken on of those Pharos GPS-500 that comes with Microsoft Streets
and Trips and I have managed to power it with 5V (using 7805 Regulator) and
I am pulling the data off of it. I just need to insure I don't cook the rig.

Any advice would be helpful.

And PAT KC6VVT, I'm back!!!! :) KA9MOT-9 will be on the air again. :)

Steve KA9MOT

Steven KA9MOT <ka9mot@...>

Pat,

If I can figure out how, I'm going to send you some pictures via your email.

Steve KA9MOT

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 8:19 AM, Patrick Ryan KC6VVT kc6vvt@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, that was a failure. :(

Back to the drawing board.