GPS forD-700

Frank J Rossi Jr

My old Garmin GPS-35 finally died.
It has been connected to my D-700 for over 15 years in my truck.
My question is What is the current best deal on a No Display GPS that will work with the D-700 ?
The old GPS-35 looked like a computer mouse with a magnet on the bottom, that ran on 12 volts.
I presume there is something like that out there that is much smaller out there now.
Don't need a GPS with a display to see other hams.
Function - Position, I can see the GPS coordinates on the Radio.
Thanks in advance.
N3FLR - Frank

Mike Rees

Try bionics.com. Also I believe argent data also carries one

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 08:20 Frank J Rossi Jr <n3flr1@...> wrote:
My old Garmin GPS-35 finally died.
It has been connected to my D-700 for over 15 years in my truck.
My question is What is the current best deal on a No Display GPS that
will work with the D-700 ?
The old GPS-35 looked like a computer mouse with a magnet on the bottom,
that ran on 12 volts.
I presume there is something like that out there that is much smaller
out there now.
Don't need a GPS with a display to see other hams.
Function - Position, I can see the GPS coordinates on the Radio.
Thanks in advance.
N3FLR - Frank

Mike
N6YSK
ARRL VEC

Randy Allen

It's actually http://byonics.com/

Their GPS unit is here: http://byonics.com/gps

Argent Data Systems: https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23

73

Randy KA0AZS

On 3/27/2020 12:35, Mike Rees wrote:
Try bionics.com. Also I believe argent data also carries one

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 08:20 Frank J Rossi Jr <n3flr1@...> wrote:
My old Garmin GPS-35 finally died.
It has been connected to my D-700 for over 15 years in my truck.
My question is What is the current best deal on a No Display GPS that
will work with the D-700 ?
The old GPS-35 looked like a computer mouse with a magnet on the bottom,
that ran on 12 volts.
I presume there is something like that out there that is much smaller
out there now.
Don't need a GPS with a display to see other hams.
Function - Position, I can see the GPS coordinates on the Radio.
Thanks in advance.
N3FLR - Frank

Mike
N6YSK
ARRL VEC

Bill Simm

Hi Frank,
I have used the Garmin GPS 18x with my d700, works great. It comes with your choice of USB, DB-9 or bare wire connetion.
Cost around $100. Here is the website :

https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/18x.html

Bill (VA1ALW)

It has been connected to my D-700 for over 15 years in my truck.
My question is What is the current best deal on a No Display GPS that
will work with the D-700 ?
The old GPS-35 looked like a computer mouse with a magnet on the bottom,
that ran on 12 volts.
I presume there is something like that out there that is much smaller
out there now.
Don't need a GPS with a display to see other hams.
Function - Position, I can see the GPS coordinates on the Radio.
Thanks in advance.
N3FLR - Frank

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I use a GlobalSat BR-355 serial GPS unit with the PS-2 connector cut off and wired into a 5v supply and DB9 to the D700.

https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BR-355-Serial-GPS-Receiver/dp/B000VUFGF8

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f121/br-355-nmea-0383-puck-to-icom-m304-64578.html

On 3/27/2020 12:49 PM, Bill Simm wrote:
Hi Frank,
 I have used the Garmin GPS 18x with my d700, works great.   It comes with your choice of USB, DB-9 or bare wire connetion.
Cost around $100.   Here is the website :

https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/18x.html

               Bill (VA1ALW)

It has been connected to my D-700 for over 15 years in my truck.
My question is What is the current best deal on a No Display GPS that
will work with the D-700 ?
The old GPS-35 looked like a computer mouse with a magnet on the bottom,
that ran on 12 volts.
I presume there is something like that out there that is much smaller
out there now.
Don't need a GPS with a display to see other hams.
Function - Position, I can see the GPS coordinates on the Radio.
Thanks in advance.
N3FLR - Frank

R. Patrick Ryan

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -  your statement that gps connects via "DB9 to the D700"

The gps here connects to the TM-D700 with a 2.5 mm stereo plug.

Can you verify your connection?

  Thanks, Pat

R. Patrick Ryan
ARS: KC6VVT,  Grid: EN51lf,
email: kc6vvt@...
Facebook for ham related:  http://www.facebook.com/KC6VVT/info

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 4:26 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
I use a GlobalSat BR-355 serial GPS unit with the PS-2 connector cut off
and wired into a 5v supply and DB9 to the D700.

https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BR-355-Serial-GPS-Receiver/dp/B000VUFGF8

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f121/br-355-nmea-0383-puck-to-icom-m304-64578.html

On 3/27/2020 12:49 PM, Bill Simm wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>  I have used the Garmin GPS 18x with my d700, works great.   It comes
> with your choice of USB, DB-9 or bare wire connetion.
> Cost around $100.   Here is the website :
>
> https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/18x.html
>
>                Bill (VA1ALW)

Frank J Rossi Jr

Thank You Lynn very much.
Looks like the GlobalSat BR-355 serial GPS best bang for the Buck.
Don't need anything fancy, it just needs to talk to the radio.
Most likely more sensitive than the old GPS-35 with faster acquire time,
and even less power consumption, and much smaller.
I did order it and a cheap voltage converter to make it work.
All Total about $50, about half of what I was expecting.
That will get my APRS working again. Currently have my location locked on my home address.
Thanks
N3FLR - Frank

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Yep, I'm being stoopid (sic).  The D700 has the 2.5mm plug.  The GPS into my T3-135 on an Alinco DR-135 is the DB9.

On 3/27/2020 6:40 PM, R. Patrick Ryan wrote:

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -  your statement that gps connects via "DB9 to the D700"

The gps here connects to the TM-D700 with a 2.5 mm stereo plug.

Can you verify your connection?

  Thanks, Pat

R. Patrick Ryan
ARS: KC6VVT,  Grid: EN51lf,
email: kc6vvt@...
Facebook for ham related:  http://www.facebook.com/KC6VVT/info

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 4:26 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
I use a GlobalSat BR-355 serial GPS unit with the PS-2 connector cut off
and wired into a 5v supply and DB9 to the D700.

https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BR-355-Serial-GPS-Receiver/dp/B000VUFGF8

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f121/br-355-nmea-0383-puck-to-icom-m304-64578.html

On 3/27/2020 12:49 PM, Bill Simm wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>  I have used the Garmin GPS 18x with my d700, works great.   It comes
> with your choice of USB, DB-9 or bare wire connetion.
> Cost around $100.   Here is the website :
>
> https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/18x.html
>
>                Bill (VA1ALW)

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

Lynn,

Instead of "... being stoopid (sic) ...," perhaps you just "mis-remembered!"  At least, that's what I tell folks (and myself) a lot these days.

I'm sure you'll have it figured out by Golden Packet time!

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC
(Clingmans Dome)

Yep, I'm being stoopid (sic).  The D700 has the 2.5mm plug.  The GPS into my T3-135 on an Alinco DR-135 is the DB9.

On 3/27/2020 6:40 PM, R. Patrick Ryan wrote:

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ -  your statement that gps connects via "DB9 to the D700"

The gps here connects to the TM-D700 with a 2.5 mm stereo plug.

Can you verify your connection?

  Thanks, Pat

R. Patrick Ryan
ARS: KC6VVT,  Grid: EN51lf,
email: kc6vvt@...
Facebook for ham related:  http://www.facebook.com/KC6VVT/info

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 4:26 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
I use a GlobalSat BR-355 serial GPS unit with the PS-2 connector cut off
and wired into a 5v supply and DB9 to the D700.

https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BR-355-Serial-GPS-Receiver/dp/B000VUFGF8

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f121/br-355-nmea-0383-puck-to-icom-m304-64578.html

On 3/27/2020 12:49 PM, Bill Simm wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>  I have used the Garmin GPS 18x with my d700, works great.   It comes
> with your choice of USB, DB-9 or bare wire connetion.
> Cost around $100.   Here is the website :
>
> https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/18x.html
>
>                Bill (VA1ALW)

R. Patrick Ryan

Lynn
Thanks for clarifying, - Hoped maybe there was another way to port GPS data to the TM-D700 that you might have discovered in applying your excellent program APRSIS32,  Sorry..
73 de Pat