Topics

GMC install?

Joe Dietrick

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT with a center console.  Looking for any advice on install of a D710.  Looks like there is room under the front of the console with access via the side panel.

Thanks,

Joe, KC0NOX

WD8ARZ <wd8arz@...>

Put Velcro strips on your dash where you want the control head to be, and put the other side of the Velcro on the control head.
That is how my TS-480HX and TMD700AG control panels are used. GPS is on a windshield suction mount.

Photo below shows the control heads setup for when I am the passenger and my wife drives. When I drive the control panels are on the drivers side of the dash top.

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ

On 3/25/2016 9:56 PM, kc0nox@... [TMD700A] wrote:

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT with a center console.  Looking for any advice on install of a D710.  Looks like there is room under the front of the console with access via the side panel.

Thanks, Joe, KC0NOX
Posted by: kc0nox@...

WD8ARZ <wd8arz@...>

Sorry, should have mention that I have the extended cables between the radio main unit and the control panels. Radios them selves are on the floor between the second and third row seats with the separate RV battery used only for the ham gear. However the radios could go under passenger seat too, or bottom of dash attachments. Vehicle is a Trail Blazer.

On 3/26/2016 6:37 AM, WD8ARZ wrote:
Put Velcro strips on your dash where you want the control head to be, and put the other side of the Velcro on the control head.
That is how my TS-480HX and TMD700AG control panels are used. GPS is on a windshield suction mount.

Photo below shows the control heads setup for when I am the passenger and my wife drives. When I drive the control panels are on the drivers side of the dash top.

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ

On 3/25/2016 9:56 PM, kc0nox@... [TMD700A] wrote:

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT with a center console.  Looking for any advice on install of a D710.  Looks like there is room under the front of the console with access via the side panel.

Thanks, Joe, KC0NOX
Posted by: kc0nox@...

Lee Cumbie

For console applications with a no-drill approach, I'm using a universal mounting solution from a company called pro-fit international on my D710.

The company is rather small, not much on customer service in my opinion, but they have a great product. If you follow the directions on the mount to the letter, and let the adhesive patch cure for a few days before attaching the rest of it, it'll give you a really good adjustable mount for the radio's control head.

73,
Lee, ke5ubf

Steve Ponnath

I have installing in a 1999 Suburban right now. The main unit is under the rear seat and the head unit sits on a Ram Mount stalk that attaches to the passenger seat bolt. I use Ram Mount exclusively now. Very good product and I can configure at will.  Also holds my CB and two iphones.

Also, will be placing a FrontRunner Outfitters roof rack with back on the roof so I can mount antennsa anywhere and not drill holes in the vehicle. The basket should provide a good ground plane and no drill solution.

Steve
KK0SJP

To: TMD700A@...
From: TMD700A@...
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 18:56:02 -0700
Subject: [TMD700A] GMC install?

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT with a center console.  Looking for any advice on install of a D710.  Looks like there is room under the front of the console with access via the side panel.

Thanks,

Joe, KC0NOX

Joe Dietrick

I appreciate the prompt responses. thank you.

Joe

Mark Wolff

Well, there is plenty of room in the console of my '05 Chevy 2500 for both the transmitter of my '710 and another small radio as well. I mounted the head unit to the console via some doublesided velcro on a small piece of hardboard and used a short length of Cat 6 cable with a female to female connector to extend the mic. 10 g wire fused (both ground and positive) at the batteries under the hood thru an existing grommet under the dash for power, used same grommet hole to route the 8X coax out and back under the chassis to the antenna mount. I leave the USB/serial cable attached so all I need to do to program the 710 is pull up the plastic cup holder tray and connect up a laptop.

Mine is a 4 door model w/ a fiberglass topper. Mounted a 5/8 wave NMO mount dual band antenna on the topper on a metal bracket between the cab roof and the topper and grounded the bracket well.

Some have said the Cat cable causes issues w/ the mic but no problems reported here to date.

Hope there is similar room in the newer model console.
Mark / N4MEW
Mark@...

______________________________

To: TMD700A@...
From: TMD700A@...
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 18:56:02 -0700

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT with a center console. Looking for any advice on install of a D710. Looks like there is room under the front of the console with access via the side panel.

Thanks,

Joe, KC0NOX

Steven KA9MOT <ka9mot@...>

Seriously? Velcro strips on the dash? Have we warped back into the 1980s? The sun shines on it, heats it up, the adhesive gives up the ghost and you have your expensive faceplate hanging by its control cable, plus a nasty, very hard to clean mess left behind.

Use 3M Double sided foam tape instead  It comes in a variety of sizes and it will not cry, "Uncle" the first tie the sun heats the dash up. It holds well and is easily removeable but is not reusable.  When removed it leaves no hard to remove adhesive behind.

I love the stuff and I always have a roll or two handy.

Steve KA9MOT

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~  Andrew Jackson

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 3:38 PM, n4mew@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Well, there is plenty of room in the console of my '05 Chevy 2500 for both the transmitter of my '710 and another small radio as well. I mounted the head unit to the console via some doublesided velcro on a small piece of hardboard and used a short length of Cat 6 cable with a female to female connector to extend the mic. 10 g wire fused (both ground and positive) at the batteries under the hood thru an existing grommet under the dash for power, used same grommet hole to route the 8X coax out and back under the chassis to the antenna mount. I leave the USB/serial cable attached so all I need to do to program the 710 is pull up the plastic cup holder tray and connect up a laptop.

Mine is a 4 door model w/ a fiberglass topper. Mounted a 5/8 wave NMO mount dual band antenna on the topper on a metal bracket between the cab roof and the topper and grounded the bracket well.

Some have said the Cat cable causes issues w/ the mic but no problems reported here to date.

Hope there is similar room in the newer model console.
Mark / N4MEW
Mark@...

______________________________
>To: TMD700A@...
>From: TMD700A@...
>Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 18:56:02 -0700
>Subject: [TMD700A] GMC install?
>

>I have a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT with a center console. Looking for any advice on install of a D710. Looks like there is room under the front of the console with access via the side panel.
>

>Thanks,
>

>Joe, KC0NOX

Steven KA9MOT <ka9mot@...>

OK, That was Scotch brand not 3M. SOme deal. Awesome stuff.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 3:51 PM, Steven KA9MOT <ka9mot@...> wrote:
Seriously? Velcro strips on the dash? Have we warped back into the 1980s? The sun shines on it, heats it up, the adhesive gives up the ghost and you have your expensive faceplate hanging by its control cable, plus a nasty, very hard to clean mess left behind.

Use 3M Double sided foam tape instead  It comes in a variety of sizes and it will not cry, "Uncle" the first tie the sun heats the dash up. It holds well and is easily removeable but is not reusable.  When removed it leaves no hard to remove adhesive behind.

I love the stuff and I always have a roll or two handy.

Steve KA9MOT

"One man with courage makes a majority." ~  Andrew Jackson

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 3:38 PM, n4mew@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Well, there is plenty of room in the console of my '05 Chevy 2500 for both the transmitter of my '710 and another small radio as well. I mounted the head unit to the console via some doublesided velcro on a small piece of hardboard and used a short length of Cat 6 cable with a female to female connector to extend the mic. 10 g wire fused (both ground and positive) at the batteries under the hood thru an existing grommet under the dash for power, used same grommet hole to route the 8X coax out and back under the chassis to the antenna mount. I leave the USB/serial cable attached so all I need to do to program the 710 is pull up the plastic cup holder tray and connect up a laptop.

Mine is a 4 door model w/ a fiberglass topper. Mounted a 5/8 wave NMO mount dual band antenna on the topper on a metal bracket between the cab roof and the topper and grounded the bracket well.

Some have said the Cat cable causes issues w/ the mic but no problems reported here to date.

Hope there is similar room in the newer model console.
Mark / N4MEW
Mark@...

______________________________
>To: TMD700A@...
>From: TMD700A@...
>Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 18:56:02 -0700
>Subject: [TMD700A] GMC install?
>

>I have a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT with a center console. Looking for any advice on install of a D710. Looks like there is room under the front of the console with access via the side panel.
>

>Thanks,
>

>Joe, KC0NOX

agcme2002

Some people need to remove face plates and other electronics every time they get out of the car.  Hard to do with permanent double-sided tape.  In some areas you can't even leave the bracket visible because the assumption is that the item that sits on the bracket is in the car (same thing for the suction cup ring on the windshield.)

However, there are velcro products from 3M that use the same adhesive as their VHB tape (this is the same tape that all-glass skyscrapers use to hold the windows to the building.)  It holds quite well even in bright sun over many years.