Topics

Garmin Nuvi 350 for APRS?

Mark Wolff

Has constructed their own cable to connect a Nuvi 350 to one of our 700 rigs and can share some info on which pins out of the mini usb are the NEMA out?  I see Argent offers a made up cable for this but I'd prefer to save some cash and solder up one myself.  Thus far, Google has not found anything promising.

Thanks!

MW / N4MEW
Duval County ARES AEC
Mark@...

Noel Seeley

Mark and the group,

I own one of the Argent cables that works great.

Having said that, I can't tell you any of the pinouts. If you would like, I could take a picture if that would help.

noeleo
K5NES

On 6/29/12 3:54 PM, Mark Wolff wrote:
Has constructed their own cable to connect a Nuvi 350 to one of our 700 rigs and can share some info on which pins out of the mini usb are the NEMA out? I see Argent offers a made up cable for this but I'd prefer to save some cash and solder up one myself. Thus far, Google has not found anything promising.

Thanks!

MW / N4MEW
Duval County ARES AEC
Mark@...

Charles Blackburn <young_gun262001@...>

iirc the nuvi doesn’t output nmea, that's why you need a gtrans cable. but not 100% certain. I know I need one for my trucks nuvi which is a nuvi 1300

charlie

Cedric MacKay <CedricMacKay@...>

The Nuvi 350 doesn't Output standard NEMA data. The argent cable has a circuit in it that does a conversion to the NEMA standard that the radio needs. They work great I have one i admit they are bit pricey but well worth it. So I making one your self wouldn't work unless you made the gtrans circuit that does conversion as well.

--- In TMD700A@..., Mark Wolff <n4mew@...> wrote:

Has constructed their own cable to connect a Nuvi 350 to one of our 700 rigs and can share some info on which pins out of the mini usb are the NEMA out?  I see Argent offers a made up cable for this but I'd prefer to save some cash and solder up one myself.  Thus far, Google has not found anything promising.

Thanks!

MW / N4MEW
Duval County ARES AEC
Mark@...

Mark Wolff

Got it, so much for my parsimonious side.  Need to order the Argent cable then, thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.

MW / N4MEW
Duval County ARES AEC
Mark@...

Benny D. Miller Jr.

MW - N4MEW,

Hi there Mark, I have a short blog about the Nuvi 350 and Argent Data Cable.
Just a little on how to set it up if you need.

http://w4qed.wordpress.com/2010/06/26/garmin-nuvi-350-argent-data-systems-ca
ble-with-tm-d700/

Ben ARS w4qed

Mark@... <mailto:Mark%40DuvalARES.org>