Topics

Display Problem

ve7gtc

Greetings Group,

I have a TM-D700A with a problem it has had for a couple of years. It is not major, but puzzling. When I power up the rig, it always goes into channel mode. That is each side of the display reads CH1 rather than the frequency. The channels, which are programmed, work properly. The only way to get into frequency mode is leave the radio on for 60 seconds or so, then turn it off and on, and it comes up in frequency mode. There is a menu option to power up in frequency mode, and that is set properly, but nothing seems to matter. Has anyone seen or solved this problem?
Thanks, Gus k2gt ve7gtc

noskosteve

The bit about turn it off and on and it comes up correctly is strange.

Perhaps this may be illusive "PM" memory related. (I think it is better to think of PMs as "Programmable Menus". )

Perhaps:

1- You have not SAVED the PM that you power up in.[F][P.IN] (page 44)

2 -You have "auto PM store" turned off. Pg 45 in the manual. With this turned OFF, changes you make are not saved in the PM unless you forse it (pg 44).

Note that on Pg 42 it shows that this feature (Auto PM Store) is not saved with the PMs so this means that it is the same for all PMs.

73, Steve, K9DCI

--- "ve7gtc" wrote:

Greetings Group,

I have a TM-D700A with a problem it has had for a couple of years. It is not major, but puzzling. When I power up the rig, it always goes into channel mode. That is each side of the display reads CH1 rather than the frequency. The channels, which are programmed, work properly. The only way to get into frequency mode is leave the radio on for 60 seconds or so, then turn it off and on, and it comes up in frequency mode. There is a menu option to power up in frequency mode, and that is set properly, but nothing seems to matter. Has anyone seen or solved this problem?
Thanks, Gus k2gt ve7gtc

ve7gtc

Thanks Steve. I thought the idea was a good one. I programmed the settings into PM1 and made sure autosave was on. I turned off the radio and waited a minute or so, and turned it back on. It came up properly and PM1 was displayed on the display. Giddy with hopefulness, I turned it off and grabbed a diet coke from the kitchen. This time I was gone 2 minutes. I turned it on an CH1 was displayed on each side, even though PM1 was displayed. I pushed the PM button, and instead of the happy "yes master" beep, I was instead greeted with the "no way" bonk. I turned the radio off, waited the obligatory 60 seconds, turned it on, and it was back to normal. So, for the time being, morning startup instructions remain the same: 1. Turn on radio. 2. Make coffee. 3. Return to radio, turn off, turn on. But as I said, I thought it was a great ideas!
Thanks, Gus k2gt/kh6 ve7gtc

noskosteve

--- "ve7gtc" wrote:
Thanks Steve. I thought the idea was a good one. ...
... other stuff ...
I thought it was a great ideas!
Thanks, Gus k2gt/kh6 ve7gtc
Grrrrr! I'm thinkin' a full reset is the next step. But, if you have Excel, you can save EVERYTHING with my D700 Workbook before you do. (:-D)

Sent from my KnightKit Crystal Set.
--
73, Steve, K9DCI USN (Vet) MOT (Ret) Ham (Yet)

I served during the cold war, so you can continue to be served a cold one.

Manage Radio Memories with an Excel Spreadsheet !
Click to tune. Click to capture Radio freq.
All Memories on one page. Cut, Copy, Paste, Print 'em...
For:
TM-D700 | TH-F6A & F7 | TS-2000 | Icom 706MkIIG
ALL PMs |Real-time & memories | Sat mems too | Loads Mem Tones!
NOT D710|Also Kenwood.fx Files|

Up to date APRS Beginner Guide - updated Oct-2011
http://K9DCI.home.comcast.net
Click the APRS Beginner INFO link under Contact

More Details, Features and Downloads at:
http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/

ve7gtc

I'm years past that step. I've probably done it a half dozen times, being from the school of If it doesn't work the first time, maybe I'll try that again, and again, and again and...

--- "ve7gtc" wrote:
I'm years past that step. I've probably done it a half dozen times, being from the school of If it doesn't work the first time, maybe I'll try that again, and again, and again and...

Hmmmm. Isn't that the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time...?

Computyers sure can drive us crazy, for sure and it sounds like you have a good head start... (;-D)

Sorry. Out of ideas. 73, Steve, K9DCI

No, no ... wait! If you do the reset thingy, but then... nah. never mind.

Well... What if you heat the processor chip, or then the memory chip (I don't know if it has both without looking) Then turn it on, it could tell you if it is a heat related bit-decay sort of thing. Yeah, yeah, I know that's a bunch of testing that won't fix it, but hey... it's an idea...

ve7gtc

Well... What if you heat the processor chip, or then the memory chip

Steve,
Brilliant! You've got it! What if I mount the radio directly on top of the espresso machine....Now I just start the day with coffee, and the espresso maker warms up the radio at the same time. Make cappuccino, turn on radio, and I'm good to go.

Dear group, does anyone know how to explain to my xyl why there is a radio mounted on top of her espresso machine?

Thanks! Gus k2gt/kh6 ve7gtc