Topics

Deaf on UHF side

John, VK5PO <vk5po@...>

Has anyone had a problem with the UHF side of the TMd700a going "deaf" .. Still TX'ing great, just deaf as a post..
Can hear close by transmissions ok, but stations five km or more away not heard.

Any help appreciated.
73 de John, VK5PO

Chris Wright

Hi John,
             how did you go with your IC-7700 on SSB audio ?
I heard you on air the night you were testing.

Not good for such a high grade product.

Chris

John, VK5PO <vk5po@...>

On 17/12/2011 7:02 PM, Chris Wright wrote:
Hi John,
how did you go with your IC-7700 on SSB audio ?
I heard you on air the night you were testing.

Not good for such a high grade product.

Chris

Herb

I had a similar problem for a while. The 2m side seemed to work OK, however
the UHF side did not hear worth beans. I first suspected my radio had a
problem. I then changed it out with another D700 I had and still had the
same problem. I then considered it was a connector problem but the
connectors were all fine. It turned out to be an antenna problem. I
changed my 10 year old mag mount antenna with a different one I had and the
problem went away.

So, I would recommend you swap the antenna you are using with a known good
antenna and see it that takes care of your problem.......

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site:  http://www.nwaprs.info

Has anyone had a problem with the UHF side of
the TMd700a going "deaf" .. Still TX'ing
great, just deaf as a post..
Can hear close by transmissions ok, but
stations five km or more away not heard.

Any help appreciated.
73 de John, VK5PO

John, VK5PO <vk5po@...>

Hi Herb.. Thanks for the advice.

The Antenna(s) are not the problem. I suspect that the front end had a crook Pre amp device..

Merry Xmas.
John, VK5PO

On 18/12/2011 3:23 AM, Herb Gerhardt wrote:
[...]

Clive

Hi John,
I had the same problem but on 2m, in fact that's how I came to have my D700E. A friend who had it before me had it go deaf on him, payed to get it fixed once but when it happened a second time he didn't want to pay out again so I said I'd have a look. In the meantime he got a good deal on a D710 so once I'd fixed it we came to a mutrally acceptable sum and it became mine.
One of the dealers suggested changing D16,17,210 & D211 (pin diodes and limiters I think) plus the front end fet, Q205 which did the trick and I'm had no probs since.

It may be worth looking at the equivlent parts on the UHF RX side.

I must admit that I had access to a spectrum analyser so confimed to myself it was the front end device. The parts were a bit pricy (i.e. one pin diode was about £8 / $12) and I doubled up to give me a set of spares but I got a good rig out of it.

73 de Clive, G0CHO

--- In TMD700A@..., "John, VK5PO" <vk5po@...> wrote:

[...]

Cheers Clive... one of the UHF side f/end fets was cactus...
cheers mate
John