From: Robin <kv4al@...>
Subject: [TMD700A] DCS-Tones
To: TMD700A@...
Date: Sunday, December 16, 2012, 10:43 AM

Special requirement for the DCS.

Does anyone know of a way to turn on the tone so that it remain on for the length of time that you press the button on the mic when in transmitting mode.  I need to be able to send a Long A and B tones of 2 to 3 seconds to activate my control receiver on my repeater.

At present I have found no way to make the change in the manual to cause the tone to last longer than about 1/2 second.  Help !

Thanks for your input.

Robin KV4AL

Robin

The Problem is that when I press the DCS Button to turn on the tone and then key the TX via the mic and then I press the A button for that tone, the tone last only about 1/2 sec and I need to have the tone remain on for up to 2 seconds for the controller to respond to that command. This is a manual control requirement that has been preprogramed into the repeater using the tones via a control receiver. My repeater is solar powered and located in a very remote area with no phone or power lines on top of a mountain. So I need to have access to the controller via this radio or I will have to invest in a new radio that will provide me this option.

If I am approaching this from the wrong directions - then suggestions as to how to accomplish this would be most welcomed.

Thanks for your input

Robin
KV4AL

----------------------

--- In TMD700A@..., Ray Amazon <ray2amazon@...> wrote:

The selected DCS tone should stay on for however long the PTT is pressed, otherwise the Detect DCS feature would not work.  Are you talking about the DTMF buttons?  Those should stay on as long as you press the keypad button, and at least three seconds since LitZ is specified as a minimum three second DTMF zero, and we use that feature on our ARES net for silent monitoring for emergencies.

Ray
K7RFW

&#92;|/ Using the "New" Yahoo email system is like using a fan. Or is the program just a backwards step rebuilt by Microsoft and sent out as an alpha release? &#92;|/

John K9IJ <john@...>

At 09:43 AM 12/17/2012, you wrote:
The Problem is that when I press the DCS Button to turn on the tone
and then key the TX via the mic and then I press the A button for
that tone, the tone last only about 1/2 sec and I need to have the
tone remain on for up to 2 seconds for the controller to respond to
that command. This is a manual control requirement that has been
preprogramed into the repeater using the tones via a control
receiver. My repeater is solar powered and located in a very remote
area with no phone or power lines on top of a mountain. So I need
to have access to the controller via this radio or I will have to
invest in a new radio that will provide me this option.

Hi Robin,

Let me try to clear up some confusion.

The Tone button has nothing to do with DTMF (aka Touch Tone)
transmission. The Tone button function is to select between repeater
access tone methods. It will switch your transmit between PL Transmit
only (T), PL transmit/receive (CT), DCS (Digital Coded Squelch
Transmit/Receive) DCS) or no Tone coded squelch at all. Read Page 30
in the instruction manual. You do not have to press the tone button
to send DTMF.

To use DTMF all you need to do is press the PTT on the microphone to
transmit and press the keypad button for the tone you want to
activate. That tone will send for as long as you hold PTT and the
keypad button. Look at Manual page 59.

You can turn on DTMF monitor so you can hear the tones you're sending
with menu item 1-8-6, as shown in the manual.

Every time you hit the tone button on the front panel, it changes the
access tone method, so if your repeater control receiver needs PL to
access, by hitting the tone button, you might, in fact, be turning PL
off, keeping you from opening it up.

I would suggest that you experiment with another receiver in the
shack. A hand held, maybe, so you can observe what your D-700 is
doing by listening to it as you try things.

Hope this helps.
73
John - K9IJ

-

John Rice K9IJ
john@...
Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

Robin

Thank you - got it working now that I fully understand what is happening.

Robin
KV4AL