D710 running Packet and Vara FM

Ray

I want to run winlink packet and vara fm on a D710 at the same time. I think it could be done and I am wondering if I would need to include RMS Relay ?
Can both RMS Packet and RMS Vara run on the same frequency? which program would have the priority if they were on the same frequency?
thanks for your help!
73 Ray WD4SEN

James C. Hall, MD WB4YDL

Hello Ray:

I have gateway WB4YDL-11 configured as a combined VARA FM / AX.25 packet gateway. I believe that is what you are inquiring about. I use a DRA-50 interface which is very nice as it’s one cable to the radio and USB to the computer. To configure and get this all to work, check out - https://www.winlink.org/sites/default/files/RMSE_FORMS/rms_packet_dual_mode_single_radio_setup_0.pdf .

Of course, these modes can’t be on frequency simultaneously – one has to wait for the other to complete before transmitting the other. You’ll have better range and sensitivity with VARA FM.

73, Jamie

WB4YDL

I want to run winlink packet and vara fm on a D710 at the same time. I think it could be done and I am wondering if I would need to include RMS Relay ?
Can both RMS Packet and RMS Vara run on the same frequency? which program would have the priority if they were on the same frequency?
thanks for your help!
73 Ray WD4SEN

Ray

Jamie, thanks for that article I do believe it has what info I need to get this off the ground....

73 Ray WD4SEN

On 11/14/2022 11:32, James C. Hall, MD WB4YDL wrote:

[...]

AF9W-10 is a D710 that uses the internal packet modem on the left side of the radio and VARA FM wide on the right (or B) side of the radio on a different frequency. Rarely get collisions between the two sides since most users around here use VARA FM.  You do have to out the internal packet modem into KISS mode. I use BPQ32 not RMS Relay.