D710 does not transmit Winlink Packet Messages

Matt Newman

D710 will not transmit Winlink Express Packet messages to an active RMS station 3 miles away.

When I open a message session in Winlink and press "Start", the radio goes completely silent.  No audio heard.  Normal audio is only heard when I exit Winlink.  And, the D710 does not transmit.  (Squelch is at maximum open.)

I have the latest version of Winlink Express and SoundModem installed.  A link test and Telnet test over the Internet are successful.  A single FTDI USB serial cable  is used between my WIN 10 PC and the COM port on the rear of the Control Panel.

Does the D710 require a separate program setup for Winlink Express Packet?  I have two programs saved for APRS, one for home, the other for mobile operations.  They are the same with the exception of GPS.  Both work FB.

Below are current settings. Are they correct for Winlink Express Packet?  Are other settings needed?  PACKET 12 is displayed for Band A.

AUX 918
EXT. DATA BAND - A-BAND

AUX 919
EXT. DATA SPEED - 1200 BPS

AUX 920
PC PORT BAUDRATE - 9600

AUX 929
COM PORT BAUDRATE - 9600BPS

AUX 930
INT. DATA BAND (PACKET) - A-BAND

Need help/advice.  Thank you!

Matt - VA3MGN/AA1VN

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

Do you have the radio selected in the drop-down box in the radio setup menu
in WE?

Have you tried reaching out to the Wimlink Users group forum?

Is Soundmodem supported by the WE program?

I am a long time user of Winlink on HF, with less experience on VHF, but these
are fundamental setup questions which come to mind from your posting.

Larry J Ford K4AEC
Sent from my Verizon Wireless device

[...]

Lee Besing

Why are you using a sound modem instead of a direct connection from the computer to the built-in TNC in the 710?

Or perhaps it's I've just got the newer model, TM-D710GA with the built-in GPS module?  I have used mine for Winlink, but I don't use a sound modem interface. I used the built-in TNC and using the data port connection.

I've also been using my TM-D700 for Winlink quite successfully during events and it doesn't have the GPS module.

Hopefully others in this group can clarify.

Lee Besing, N5NTG
210-771-7075
San Antonio TX