D700A reversing the out of band mod

Robert Craven

Has anyone reversed the out of band mod? This is the mod that requires removal of a SM resistor and cutting or unsoldering one end of a green jumper wire.

Bob, N7GTE

Yes all 3 of 700's, they work perfectly. Suggestion, unsoldier and gently lift only one end of the resistor. That way you can restore it if you want!

Robert Craven

Thank you Ron. I didn’t ask my question properly. The D700A that I recently acquired had the extended transmit mod done by a previous user years ago.

The SM resistor and the green jumper are both gone. My question is: can this be undone or better phrased, restored to factory specs? In other words is the SM resistor a “zero ohm” resistor and can it be replaced by a solder bridge? If not, can a replacement SM resistor be purchased? The green jumper wire can be replaced easily.

Bob, N7GTE

N4AOF

Physically reversing the mod is relatively easy.  You can use either of the techniques you mentioned.  BUT...

I don't think that restoring the two connections and resetting the radio will return it to the factory default settings.  You'd have to find a knowledgeable Yaesu software engineer (or someone who actually tried it) to be sure, but I strongly suspect that the firmware will remain in the modded state.

Not to be intrusive, but what are you trying to accomplish by reversing the mod?  I've only used the 710 not the 700 but from what I can find, the 700 didn't lose any capabilities as a result of the mod unless maybe it forgot the default offsets for 2M FM (which don't strike me as a big loss).

Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 23:24 PM
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] D700A reversing the out of band mod

Thank you Ron. I didn’t ask my question properly. The D700A that I recently acquired had the extended transmit mod done by a previous user years ago.

The SM resistor and the green jumper are both gone. My question is: can this be undone or better phrased, restored to factory specs? In other words is the SM resistor a “zero ohm” resistor and can it be replaced by a solder bridge? If not, can a replacement SM resistor be purchased? The green jumper wire can be replaced easily.

Bob, N7GTE

davebb123456

It's a Kenwood

Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 23:24 PM

Thank you Ron. I didn’t ask my question properly. The D700A that I recently acquired had the extended transmit mod done by a previous user years ago.

The SM resistor and the green jumper are both gone. My question is: can this be undone or better phrased, restored to factory specs? In other words is the SM resistor a “zero ohm” resistor and can it be replaced by a solder bridge? If not, can a replacement SM resistor be purchased? The green jumper wire can be replaced easily.

Bob, N7GTE

Yes sorry misunderstood, yes it is easy to do. Good eyes or strong glasses needed in my case! When I moded my 3, I just lifted one end of the SM resister and cut the green wire in the middle so I could just solder them back. Again yes if the previous owner didn't butcher it, it should be easy.

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

N4AOF wrote: "You'd have to find a knowledgeable Yaesu software engineer ..."

Why would the services of a Yaesu software engineer be needed regarding a mod on a Kenwood product?

Did Kenwood "outsource" aspects of the TM-D7XX line or its firmware to Yaesu?
Larry J. Ford
K4AEC

Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 23:24 PM

Thank you Ron. I didn’t ask my question properly. The D700A that I recently acquired had the extended transmit mod done by a previous user years ago.

The SM resistor and the green jumper are both gone. My question is: can this be undone or better phrased, restored to factory specs? In other words is the SM resistor a “zero ohm” resistor and can it be replaced by a solder bridge? If not, can a replacement SM resistor be purchased? The green jumper wire can be replaced easily.

Bob, N7GTE

N4AOF

Yes, of course it is.  That's what happens when you're typing faster than you're thinking.  But the point remains, without either trying it or tracing the original source code of the firmware, there isn't any way to know if reversing the physical mod will also reset the firmware.

Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 23:24 PM

Thank you Ron. I didn’t ask my question properly. The D700A that I recently acquired had the extended transmit mod done by a previous user years ago.

The SM resistor and the green jumper are both gone. My question is: can this be undone or better phrased, restored to factory specs? In other words is the SM resistor a “zero ohm” resistor and can it be replaced by a solder bridge? If not, can a replacement SM resistor be purchased? The green jumper wire can be replaced easily.

Bob, N7GTE

Tom Schaefer NY4I

One has to assume he misspoke. I don’t see how changing the jumpers would make any changes to the firmware. Restoring the jumpers should bring it back to same as before.

Tom NY4I

Principal Solutions Architect
Better Software Solutions, Inc.
727-437-2771

Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 23:24 PM

Thank you Ron. I didn’t ask my question properly. The D700A that I recently acquired had the extended transmit mod done by a previous user years ago.

The SM resistor and the green jumper are both gone. My question is: can this be undone or better phrased, restored to factory specs? In other words is the SM resistor a “zero ohm” resistor and can it be replaced by a solder bridge? If not, can a replacement SM resistor be purchased? The green jumper wire can be replaced easily.

Bob, N7GTE

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

I prefer to clarify rather than to "ass-u-me!"

LJF
K4AEC

Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 23:24 PM

Thank you Ron. I didn’t ask my question properly. The D700A that I recently acquired had the extended transmit mod done by a previous user years ago.

The SM resistor and the green jumper are both gone. My question is: can this be undone or better phrased, restored to factory specs? In other words is the SM resistor a “zero ohm” resistor and can it be replaced by a solder bridge? If not, can a replacement SM resistor be purchased? The green jumper wire can be replaced easily.

Bob, N7GTE

Lynn Deffenbaugh

It all depends on how the firmware author checks the jumper.  If it is checked for the current state every time the current value is needed, then all will be well with re-installing the jumper.  But if the jumper is checked only for an open state at which point other values are patched in the firmware (band limits, in this case), then re-installing the jumper will have no effect.

Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 23:24 PM

Thank you Ron. I didn’t ask my question properly. The D700A that I recently acquired had the extended transmit mod done by a previous user years ago.

The SM resistor and the green jumper are both gone. My question is: can this be undone or better phrased, restored to factory specs? In other words is the SM resistor a “zero ohm” resistor and can it be replaced by a solder bridge? If not, can a replacement SM resistor be purchased? The green jumper wire can be replaced easily.

Bob, N7GTE

Terry 2151E W5TMP

Why would anyone reverse the MARS Mod???? Just wondering

Terry

Randall ~ AE7RJ

To sell it maybe?  Wouldn't want to hand a wide open radio to a stranger.

On 8/18/2021 13:41, Terry 2151E W5TMP wrote:
Why would anyone reverse the MARS Mod???? Just wondering

Terry

Eric

When I've written similar kinds of firmware, the jumper field  (or dip-switch) settings would be checked and the appropriate limits and set points would be set.  This would happen each time the device was powered on or reset.  So, if the jumpers were changed, the new values would get used.

I would hope these firmware designers would do the same thing.  But...... :-)

Eric, WB6TIX

Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2021 23:24 PM

Thank you Ron. I didn’t ask my question properly. The D700A that I recently acquired had the extended transmit mod done by a previous user years ago.

The SM resistor and the green jumper are both gone. My question is: can this be undone or better phrased, restored to factory specs? In other words is the SM resistor a “zero ohm” resistor and can it be replaced by a solder bridge? If not, can a replacement SM resistor be purchased? The green jumper wire can be replaced easily.

Bob, N7GTE

Robert Craven

Thanks everyone for your comments. There were two mods that can be done to the D700A.

The MARS mod only required clipping the green wire at location W602. That allowed the radio to transmit in the extended MARS allocations just outside the ham bands.

The other mod which requires cutting or removing the green wire at location W602 AND removing (or lifting one end off the circuit board) the SM resistor at location W601. This is the mod done to the radio I now have. The transmit frequency range after this mod is 136.0000 to 174.9950 VHF and 400.0000 to 469.9950 UHF.

I don’t believe the D700A is type approved to transmit on these extended frequencies. Randall is correct. I would not want my D700A to eventually end up in somebody’s hands that would accidentally, purposefully without authorization, or maliciously use the radio on frequency’s allocated to local public safety or on federal frequency’s. Thus the reason for my interest in restoring the radio back to its original condition.

Thanks again, everyone.

Bob, N7GTE