Topics

D700A help with ribbon cable connector

Joseph LaFerla

Edited

Hi

While I was servicing my venerable D700A, I inadvertently broke the ribbon cable connector on the main rxtx board which connects to the tnc board,  I checked with pacparts.com and they do stock the ribbon cable but not the connector.  They tell me that the part number is G11-2603-04.  It appears on the 700A board that there are two rows of pads where the connector would solder onto.  Alternatively, if this connector is unavailable, is it possible to hardwire the main and tnc boards?  I do not know if all 28 pins are actually connected.  My 700A refuses to boot and displays "Resetting please wait" in the display window.

A related question would be whether the ribbon cable connector for the D710 is the same as the one for the D700A.  I would imagine it is.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and 73

Joe VA3JLF

Did you try

EAST COAST 
Transistor Parts, Inc.
2 Marlborough Road
West Hamostead, New York 11552

www.eastcoasttransistor.com

I het a lit of parts from them

Good luck

Ron K1VSC

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Joseph LaFerla

HI Ron

Thanks for this.  I tried them and they tell me that the part is discontinued and unavailable.

Joe VA3JLF

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: June 1, 2020 12:53 PM
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] D700A help with ribbon cable connector

Did you try

EAST COAST 

Transistor Parts, Inc.

2 Marlborough Road

West Hamostead, New York 11552

www.eastcoasttransistor.com

I het a lit of parts from them

Good luck

Ron K1VSC

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Leo Bodnar

Do you have a high resolution picture of this part?
Leo

Joseph LaFerla

Hi Leo

I don’t have a picture of the particular part because it was destroyed by the tech who was looking at it.  But I can take a picture of the one that connects at tnc end.  That one is a horizontal orientation connector whereas the one connecting at the radio end is a vertical orientation.  It is the white connector with brown leg and the ribbon cable sticking out of it.  In the picture the ribbon cable slides right in whereas on the vertical orientation it comes down from above.

I don’t know the part number but if you do please let me know. I can send you a different pic if you need.

Joe VA3JLF

Sent: June 3, 2020 8:31 AM

Do you have a high resolution picture of this part?
Leo

Leo Bodnar

Edited

Joe,
I have just recently (this week) bought a spare TNC from D700 for a project - to play with.  It came with a ribbon cable.  I forgot it in the office but I will have a look while I am there over the weekend.
These flat cable connectors (and cables) are most probably standard FFC connectors so as long you figure out their pitch, pins orientation and number of ways you can usually pick up a replacement pretty easily.  It does not have to be exact part, the footprints are often standardised.

E.g. https://www.digikey.co.uk/products/en/connectors-interconnects/ffc-fpc-flat-flexible-connectors/399

Leo

Leo Bodnar

From the service manual and internet pictures it looks like a 26 way vertical FFC connector with 1.00mm pitch.

Have a look here https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/ffc-fpc-flat-flexible-connectors/399?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&pv7=2&sf=1&FV=69%7C409393%2C-8%7C399%2C88%7C159364%2C89%7C6219&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=500

I would just buy a few and choose the most suitable one.  Some have a latch and zero-insertion force, some are friction based.
Leo

Joseph LaFerla

Hi Leo

Thanks for this info. I was wondering actually why I was having so much trouble with a simple connector.  Anyway, I have gone up and down this way and that and finally found from Kenwood US that I can order the actual replacement part.  I have it on order and hopefully it should come in a couple of weeks.  I will advise the group with my ultimate result.

Joe VA3JLF

Joseph LaFerla

Hi Leo

I forgot to ask you.  I have been told that the reason that my d700a will not boot up is because the tnc is not connected and that, once it is connected, all will be well.  Do you have any thoughts on this?  It does seem to make sense on the face of it because the tnc is a vital missing part but I don't understand why the bootup process locks up.  This is why I have been pursuing the replacement of the connector.

I will see once the replacement connector shows up and is soldered into place.

Joe
VA3JLF

Leo Bodnar

I can believe that.
Kenwood TNC is a reasonably standalone module (this is why I am using itseparately) but it frequently communicates with the rest of the system via internal dedicated serial port. Its absence will be immediately known to the main unit brains due to lack of command responses.
I don't know if there is a soft recovery from TNC failure in the 700 - it might just keep trying to boot until it detects one. 
I have 710G and in there TNC is embedded into the display unit (even though it is, essentially, the same TNC hardware and firmware.)

Please post updates of your findings - this is interesting!

Cheers
Leo

Joseph LaFerla

Thanks Leo

I will certainly post the results of my efforts.  Hopefully it won't take the connector long to get here.

Joe VA3JLF

Leo Bodnar

I was wrong, the connector pitch is 0.5mm.
I got it wrong because half the pins (13) are on one side and the other 13 are on the other.  And the spacing between the PCB pin pads is 1.00mm.  I got the 1.00mm pitch connectors from Farnell and, of course, they are huge!
I have re-ordered 26 way 0.5mm pitch connectors - will let you know how it goes.
https://uk.farnell.com/wurth-elektronik/687326124422/connector-fpc-zif-26pos-0-5mm/dp/2520174
https://uk.farnell.com/molex/52559-2652/fpc-connector-rcpt-26pos-0-3mm/dp/3215790
Leo

Joseph LaFerla

HU Leo

Thanks for this.  I am still waiting for Kenwood to send me two of their connectors, supposedly arriving from Japan.  It would be really good if a non-Kenwood source is found for spare parts.  Once I receive the connectors, I am going to ship the D700 to Innovative Circuits, my repair shop, who is waiting for it.  Hopefully it will be an easy fix to mount the connector.

I will post results.

Joe VA3JLF

Sent: June 15, 2020 4:57 PM

I was wrong, the connector pitch is 0.5mm.
I got it wrong because half the pins (13) are on one side and the other 13 are on the other.  And the spacing between the PCB pin pads is 1.00mm.  I got the 1.00mm pitch connectors from Farnell and, of course, they are huge!
I have re-ordered 26 way 0.5mm pitch connectors - will let you know how it goes.
https://uk.farnell.com/wurth-elektronik/687326124422/connector-fpc-zif-26pos-0-5mm/dp/2520174
https://uk.farnell.com/molex/52559-2652/fpc-connector-rcpt-26pos-0-3mm/dp/3215790
Leo

Joseph LaFerla

HI Leo

After a very long wait looking for part numbers and parts, I have finally been able to get the connector soldered in place.  I first contacted Kenwood USA who gave me the part number and that I could get it through East Coast Transistor and Parts. I sent the radio to a local repair shop since the connector is smd and very tiny.  The repair shop guy tells me that, once the connector was soldered in, the radio immediately powered up and the tnc now works.  So it would seem that something in the bootloader goes around looking for each component and will hang until it finds everything.  Although it took much longer, especially since I live in Canada, I preferred to wait until the exact replacement part was received rather than getting one from Digikey.  I actually bought two connectors and will keep one as spare just in case.

Thanks for your help and suggestions to all who provided input.  

Joe VA3JLF