D700 Won't power on

Jess Haas

I was listening to a repeater on my D700, walked out of the room and came back and it was off. I tried turning it back on and the screen flashed some black momentarily but nothing else happened. No backlight or signs of life from the radio. Any troubleshooting thoughts? Is it possible to get the radio to power up without a control head attached to see if it is control head or radio? All fuses seem fine and power cable appears to be getting power. Powersupply seems fine and is still powering my other radios fine.

Thank You,
   Jess
   K5LLI

Randy Allen

Did you check the fuse inside of the control head (F902)?

I've attached a file I found in my collection of D700 documents that might be helpful.

Good luck

73

Randy KA0AZS

On 12/14/2020 21:51, Jess Haas wrote:
I was listening to a repeater on my D700, walked out of the room and came back and it was off. I tried turning it back on and the screen flashed some black momentarily but nothing else happened. No backlight or signs of life from the radio. Any troubleshooting thoughts? Is it possible to get the radio to power up without a control head attached to see if it is control head or radio? All fuses seem fine and power cable appears to be getting power. Powersupply seems fine and is still powering my other radios fine.

Thank You,
   Jess
   K5LLI

Philip Salley

Jess, Assume you checked the power source including possible fuse condition to include fuse holder corrosion.  These rigs are aging, so look for these things first.  If the head is remoted?  Those connections also need checking for corrosion, etc.  Otherwise remove the head, and check for contact corrosion.  Symptoms hint at one or more of these points.   Regards, Phil / K4PO