Topics

D700 Problem

N5TEV <N5TEV@...>

Turned on my D700 tonight, and the remote head displays the following:

PROG 115200 bps

Cannot get it out of this state. Tried a partial and full reset. Did a hard reset via the little red button on back of main unit. No joy.

I've searched and saw a couple mentions of this problem, but no solutions. I suppose could send it in to Kenwood for repair, or upgrade to a D710. But I would really like to resolve if possible.

Anyone out there have any ideas?

73,
Jeff
N5TEV

bud joyce

You can try this...

When you do a "Reset" on the radio it does NOT reset the TNC to reset
the TNC go to Hyper Terminal from Start in Windows:
Setting up hyper Terminal to work with tmd700a.
For packet use it only uses 1200 baud on TH-DAG, tm-D700a and TS2000
which has a very simple built-TNC.

Hyper Terminal Setup: RESET

a. start hypertermal and set it for correct port and same speed as
set for packet(1200), while PC is connected to tm-d700a via a cable
to its 9 pin connector.
b. turn on packet mode pressing the Fbutton for about 2 seconds
and then press TNC button until you see TNC PKT in the top of the d700a
display. Tnc parameters should now be accessible.
c. Performa a TNC Reset command via the hyperterminal screen i.e
Type RESET.
THis is necessary because the d700a never resets the TNC, not even
during a full radio Reset..

The above info is a direct quote from Kenwood

--- In TMD700A@..., "N5TEV" <N5TEV@...> wrote:

Turned on my D700 tonight, and the remote head displays the following:

PROG 115200 bps

Cannot get it out of this state. Tried a partial and full reset. Did a hard reset via the little red button on back of main unit. No joy.

I've searched and saw a couple mentions of this problem, but no solutions. I suppose could send it in to Kenwood for repair, or upgrade to a D710. But I would really like to resolve if possible.

Anyone out there have any ideas?

73,
Jeff
N5TEV

N5TEV <N5TEV@...>

Thanks Bud,

But there is no response out of the serial 9-pin connector with HyperTerminal, period.

Also, none of the front panel buttons respond to their normal commands, so pressing the F-button and TNC button does nothing.

Have you seen this problem with the exact display message before?

"PROG 115200 bps"

I can toggle through different values with the VFO key, and pressing the Memory key brings up the following:

"Not Installed!"

It seems to be acting like there is an issue between the control panel and main unit. At this point I'm stumped.

Jeff
N5TEV

--- In TMD700A@..., "budleyca" <budleyca@...> wrote:

[...]

You could try pushing and holding in the reset button while switching it off and also on a few times, you could try unpowering the radio and letting it sit for a week or so, also check and clean the cable connections from the body to the head, if all else fails...off to Kenwood...gud luck...

[...]

Another thing you could try is to start up the radio in service mode,...short out pins 3 and 6 on the data connector plug and then turn the radio on, see if it enters service mode, then shut down, remove jumper wire, re start...If you don't have the service manual...google it and download, it will show you where the proper pins are.

[...]

Thanks again.

I spoke with Kenwood technical support, and they said that the main unit has probably lost its microprocessor or programming. They've seen this a couple of times before.

So its off to repair.