Topics

D700 or D710?

Ralph Milnes

I’m looking for advice concerning a choice between my old D700 and a new D710.

I'm getting a new car and plan to install one of these 2 radios in it. The D700 still works fine, so I could use it. But would the D710 be better?

in the last car, I put the radio body in an underfloor rear storage compartment. I pulled power from a nearby fuse box and ran mic, speaker and control head wires under the carpet to the driver’s seat area, where I had installed the control head. I ran antenna feed and GPS wires out the rear hatch. It all worked well and made for a tidy/hidden install, but it was quite a bit of work to run and hide all the wires/cables.

I’m wondering if a new D710 might be easier to install and just as tidy in the next car (SUV). Any thoughts?

Ralph NM5RM

Tom Schaefer NY4I

You wouldn’t have to worry about the GPS with the D710 since that is built-in.

Tom NY4I

Principal Solutions Architect
Better Software Solutions, Inc.
727-437-2771

On Aug 11, 2020, at 10:53 AM, Ralph Milnes <ralphmilnes@...> wrote:

I’m looking for advice concerning a choice between my old D700 and a new D710.

I'm getting a new car and plan to install one of these 2 radios in it. The D700 still works fine, so I could use it. But would the D710 be better?

in the last car, I put the radio body in an underfloor rear storage compartment. I pulled power from a nearby fuse box and ran mic, speaker and control head wires under the carpet to the driver’s seat area, where I had installed the control head. I ran antenna feed and GPS wires out the rear hatch. It all worked well and made for a tidy/hidden install, but it was quite a bit of work to run and hide all the wires/cables.

I’m wondering if a new D710 might be easier to install and just as tidy in the next car (SUV). Any thoughts?

Ralph NM5RM

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

I have both a TM-D700A (currently installed mobile) and a D710A (not yet installed).

Wire-wise, the 710 does not appear to be substantially different than the 700A,

EXCEPT,

If you buy the 710GA (or 710AG, whatever it is), with the built-in GPS, then would seem to simplify the GPS part of the installation.  Rather than have to mount and run GPS wires separately, I guess you only have to place the rig's GPS antenna appropriately and then run the GPS antenna wire back to the main body.

Not having to fool with a separate GPS receiver would seem to be a plus.

Just my .02 worth.

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC

I’m looking for advice concerning a choice between my old D700 and a new D710.

I'm getting a new car and plan to install one of these 2 radios in it. The D700 still works fine, so I could use it. But would the D710 be better?

in the last car, I put the radio body in an underfloor rear storage compartment. I pulled power from a nearby fuse box and ran mic, speaker and control head wires under the carpet to the driver’s seat area, where I had installed the control head. I ran antenna feed and GPS wires out the rear hatch. It all worked well and made for a tidy/hidden install, but it was quite a bit of work to run and hide all the wires/cables.

I’m wondering if a new D710 might be easier to install and just as tidy in the next car (SUV). Any thoughts?

Ralph NM5RM

David Flood

The D710 has upgradeable (when Kenwood releases any) firmware.  The D700 is stuck with what it has…

KD7MYC

I’m looking for advice concerning a choice between my old D700 and a new D710.

I'm getting a new car and plan to install one of these 2 radios in it. The D700 still works fine, so I could use it. But would the D710 be better?

_._,_._,_

Lee Besing

I have the D710AG model and the GPS is built into the remote control head. As long as you stick it up on the dash or somewhere it has access to the GPS signal, there is no extra GPS antenna to install or mount.

Lee Besing
210-771-7075
San Antonio TX

I’m looking for advice concerning a choice between my old D700 and a new D710.

I'm getting a new car and plan to install one of these 2 radios in it. The D700 still works fine, so I could use it. But would the D710 be better?

in the last car, I put the radio body in an underfloor rear storage compartment. I pulled power from a nearby fuse box and ran mic, speaker and control head wires under the carpet to the driver’s seat area, where I had installed the control head. I ran antenna feed and GPS wires out the rear hatch. It all worked well and made for a tidy/hidden install, but it was quite a bit of work to run and hide all the wires/cables.

I’m wondering if a new D710 might be easier to install and just as tidy in the next car (SUV). Any thoughts?

Ralph NM5RM

Stephan Greene

Unless money spent on the radio is an issue, go with a current radio, you can still get accessories and software upgrades.  One caveat on the D710G is if your intended mounting for the control head blocks/limits GPS reception, then an older 710 (what I have) with external GPS may be preferable.  I have no 1st-hand experience with the 710G, so owners are free to clarify if this is even a problem and if the 710G can accept an external GPS input.

New cars may have limited locations to install a radio; the detachable control head helps.  I have mine mounted on a cup holder mount with a short flexible gooseneck.

KS1G

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 3:04 PM David Flood <davidf4@...> wrote:

The D710 has upgradeable (when Kenwood releases any) firmware.  The D700 is stuck with what it has…

KD7MYC

I’m looking for advice concerning a choice between my old D700 and a new D710.

I'm getting a new car and plan to install one of these 2 radios in it. The D700 still works fine, so I could use it. But would the D710 be better?

Steve Greene  ks1g04@...  <kay ess one gee zero four>@gmail.com

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

Well that's even better than I thought!

LJF K4AEC

I’m looking for advice concerning a choice between my old D700 and a new
D710.

I'm getting a new car and plan to install one of these 2 radios in it. The
D700 still works fine, so I could use it. But would the D710 be better?

in the last car, I put the radio body in an underfloor rear storage
compartment. I pulled power from a nearby fuse box and ran mic, speaker and
control head wires under the carpet to the driver’s seat area, where I had
installed the control head. I ran antenna feed and GPS wires out the rear
hatch. It all worked well and made for a tidy/hidden install, but it was quite
a bit of work to run and hide all the wires/cables.

I’m wondering if a new D710 might be easier to install and just as tidy in
the next car (SUV). Any thoughts?

Ralph NM5RM

John Dinneen

I use 2 D710GA (internal built in GPS) - heads remote and fastened together in back with plastic plate using 3x8 mm screws.
Cupholder stand with PVC pipe & angle bends.
Mount can also swivel/tilt to face driver, center or passenger.

Both internal GPS units function fine in this location.

John F Dinneen KCØL
kc0l@...
john.dinneen@...
Home: 469.362.1942

I’m looking for advice concerning a choice between my old D700 and a new
D710.

I'm getting a new car and plan to install one of these 2 radios in it. The
D700 still works fine, so I could use it. But would the D710 be better?

in the last car, I put the radio body in an underfloor rear storage
compartment. I pulled power from a nearby fuse box and ran mic, speaker and
control head wires under the carpet to the driver’s seat area, where I had
installed the control head. I ran antenna feed and GPS wires out the rear
hatch. It all worked well and made for a tidy/hidden install, but it was quite
a bit of work to run and hide all the wires/cables.

I’m wondering if a new D710 might be easier to install and just as tidy in
the next car (SUV). Any thoughts?

Ralph NM5RM

Jeff

Another important consideration between the 710A and the 710AG is that for APRS operation with an external app, I believe the 710AG does not pass data from the internal GPS out the serial port.

Jeff
N5TEV