Topics

D700

John

Hi,

Has anyone mounted a D700 in a 2012 Dodge Durango?

Thanks,

John

Rob Richter

Yes.

The radio is in the compartment under the driver's seat and I mounted the remote head bracket to a 1x4 painted black that goes in the center console in front of the shifter, in the tray right of the 12V outlet, under the dash.

The radio is mounted sideways on a wooden frame that rests on the bottom. This is in part to make room for other stuff under there and in part to keep the radio off the bottom as a defense against liquids. It also ensures that nothing gets piled on the radio that would block cooling.

Power comes directly from the battery, which is under the passenger seat, and is routed using 10GA wire under the center console between the two cavities. I used a dremel to carve out a notch in the plastic around the cavities so that the wiring would not get crimped. I fused the red wire at the battery and use a 30A powerpole to connect the battery to the rest of the ham radio wiring.

I tried to install a PWRguard Plus between the radio and battery to prevent the battery from draining due to the 700's trickle of power when off, but it turns out that the Durango charges the battery at more than 15V, 15.4V by my volt meter, and that caused the PWRguard to cut out due to over voltage. The voltage is still within the acceptable range for the D700 (up to 15.8V). Chrysler dealer says that this is the normal voltage, but if you happen to measure yours over time and notice that it is lower, let me know.

Antenna is nothing more than a mag mount routed through the left rear passenger door at the hinge and then up between the driver and passenger door.

I have a GPS in the cavity and the antenna for that is routed through a channel hidden by a plastic cover between the door and the driver's seat so that I can get the GPS antenna up to the front driver's side windshield. I tucked the wire behind the rubber molding next to the dash on the way up to the window.

For heat reasons, I have not replaced the cavity cover over the radio.

--- In TMD700A@..., John wrote:

Hi,

Has anyone mounted a D700 in a 2012 Dodge Durango?

Thanks,

John

John

Hi,

Just a quick update. I found the cavity under the drivers seat, what a surprise, thanks (didn't see it mentioned in the manual) but like I said I just got the car.
I did a check on the battery voltage, on my meter it was about 14.0 volts. I've always used a maximum of 14.25 for the charging voltage on a lead acid battery so that seems about right.
I'd suggest you re check yours with a different VOM because 15.4 is really high and will fry the battery.
Do you have any problems with rain on the coax getting into the car?
Do you have any photos of the install?

Thanks,

John

John

Sorry group, this was meant to be a private message