Topics

Com port to USB failure

Joe Dietrick

My D700 attached to a Windows XP ran UI-View32 and programming via the MCP without issues via an RS232/USB adapter. That laptop died, and I can't make a connection with either my Windows 7 or Windows 10 laptops.  This includes the RS 232/USB adapter and a cable with the USB connector on it.

I don't know what the difference between the COM & DATA ports are in this regard.

Any help in solving this issue is appreciated.

Thank you.

Joe, KC0NOX

David Ranch

Check your USB to serial adapter's drivers.  You might be a victim of a counterfit Prolific chip but work arounds are available:

   http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

--David
KI6ZHD

On 07/06/2018 01:46 PM, Joe Dietrick wrote:
My D700 attached to a Windows XP ran UI-View32 and programming via the MCP without issues via an RS232/USB adapter. That laptop died, and I can't make a connection with either my Windows 7 or Windows 10 laptops.  This includes the RS 232/USB adapter and a cable with the USB connector on it.

I don't know what the difference between the COM & DATA ports are in this regard.

Any help in solving this issue is appreciated.

Thank you.

Joe, KC0NOX

Joe Dietrick

David,

Thank you. If I understand your response correctly:  I had rolled back the driver using  the original serial-USB adapter (which worked with the XP) without success - several times w/another adapter as well.  I also purchased an Rs-232<-->USB cable w/FTDI chip from BlueMax49ers - thinking perhaps my original RS-232 cable was bad, and a W10 compatible adapter from USConverters.com.  I would have though both would have legitimate chipsets.

No joy.

David Ranch

Hello Joe,

When you say you installed the driver that came with the USB cables, are you sure you're using it?  Newer versions of Windows allow multiple drivers to be installed and you select which one is to be used.  You'll want to either disable or REMOVE the Microsoft ones to be sure you're using your driver.  The Miklor site will take you through all that.

If you've done all that, it was worth a try.  WIndows XP is very much dead, doesn't get updates, etc. so my speculation was that it had the old drivers that work with all the knockoff Prolific chips.  I would generally agree that new FTDI based adapters from reputable vendors should work.  FTDI chips were also counterfited but not to the level like Prolific ones.

Can you connect pins 2 & 3 together, start a terminal program (Putty has serial port support) and see if you can see what you type?  Maybe connect the serial port to anything else like maybe an old dial up modem (Hayes, USR, etc) and get output?   Maybe you can test the serial port on the D700 like how this HAM did and see if you can get any output?

   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7CTzc3AfBs

--David
KI6ZHD

Joe Dietrick

Technical failure.

Is there any way to use the 6-pin data port to a PC virtual TNC, instead of an external TNC?

Thanks, Joe

Don Poaps

I can use a soundcard as long as it has VOX. IE Signalink

73

Don va7qu

--
Don Poaps