Topics

Cannot transmit with D700a using TNC PKT

Joseph LaFerla

I am trying to use my d700a with yaac or another aprs program to receive and transmit aprs packets.  Everything is set correctly and I can receive packets correctly.  However I cannot transmit.  The software is set up correctly but my beacon does not get transmitted, neither can I transmit if I hit the transmit button.  Is there some special setting that I have to set in my radio to enable transmission of packets?  This is only apparently a problem if I use the built-in tnc because if I connect an external tnc everything works fine. 

I would appreciate any help to get me going.  Thanks in advance.

Joe VA3JLF

David Ranch

If you connect to the TNC via the COMMAND interface, can you successfully transmit a BEACON or other packet?

--David
KI6ZHD

On 09/25/2020 10:50 AM, Joseph LaFerla wrote:
I am trying to use my d700a with yaac or another aprs program to receive and transmit aprs packets.  Everything is set correctly and I can receive packets correctly.  However I cannot transmit.  The software is set up correctly but my beacon does not get transmitted, neither can I transmit if I hit the transmit button.  Is there some special setting that I have to set in my radio to enable transmission of packets?  This is only apparently a problem if I use the built-in tnc because if I connect an external tnc everything works fine. 

Joe VA3JLF

Dave, W8AAS

When I can't transmit packets, it is usually because I left the squelch open and the DCD setting prevents transmission.  It thinks the channel is busy.

R. Patrick Ryan

Joe
I understand 
When you want to use the TM-D700 internal TNC, you must switch from APRS mode to PKT mode on the radio.
Then power off the radio and controlling computer, connect the data cable to both, then power up the computer.
Power up the radio as you load the program of choice, preferably a simple terminal program.
The internal TNC might not be in Command mode, so type and send <CTRL C> to TNC to ensure it is in command mode.
Type DISPlay command
. The TNC should respond with the TNC Command list and current settings for each command,
   Type MYCall with a space then your Callsign followed with return key to enter
FYI after this, send the letter "k" to switch TNC to Converse mode and send "test" while watching radio display
for transmit.
If this does not work (radio transmits), you may have a setting on serial flow control wrong in your computer, or a bad cable.
73 de Pat

R. Patrick Ryan
ARS: KC6VVT,  Grid: EN51lf, 
email: kc6vvt@...
Facebook for ham related:  http://www.facebook.com/KC6VVT/info

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 12:50 PM Joseph LaFerla <joe@...> wrote:

Joe VA3JLF

Joseph LaFerla

HI Dave

I tried to close the squelch but no luck.  Still cannot transmit.  Should the packet TXC setting be manual or auto?

Joe

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: September 25, 2020 2:52 PM
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] Cannot transmit with D700a using TNC PKT

When I can't transmit packets, it is usually because I left the squelch open and the DCD setting prevents transmission.  It thinks the channel is busy.

Joseph LaFerla

Correction Dave, you were right.  closing  the squelch did it and enabled me to transmit!!  Thanks and what a simple thing to do!!!

Joe
VA3JLF

Don Poaps

Are you using Linux or Windows?

Have you setup the menu to use 1200 B? Are you trying this on your voice side of the radio? That could be one reason why it won’t PTT.

Don

VA7DGP Data

VA7QU   Voice

Va7dgp@...

Subject: /wl2k

From: TMD700A@groups.io <TMD700A@groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph LaFerla
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 10:51 AM
Subject: [TMD700A] Cannot transmit with D700a using TNC PKT

Joe VA3JLF

--
Don 
VA7DGP/VA7QU

Joseph LaFerla

Hi Don

Thanks for this.  Actually as per my other post, I solved the problem, my squelch was open and the DCD sense was stopping the transmit.  Sillly thing!

Joe VA3JLF

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: September 25, 2020 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] Cannot transmit with D700a using TNC PKT

Are you using Linux or Windows?

Have you setup the menu to use 1200 B? Are you trying this on your voice side of the radio? That could be one reason why it won’t PTT.

Don

VA7DGP Data

VA7QU   Voice

Va7dgp@...

Subject: /wl2k

From: TMD700A@groups.io <TMD700A@groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph LaFerla
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 10:51 AM
Subject: [TMD700A] Cannot transmit with D700a using TNC PKT

Joe VA3JLF

--
Don 
VA7DGP/VA7QU