Topics

Cannot connect tmd700a with yaac

Joseph LaFerla

I am trying to connect my tmd700a with my aprs client yaac and am getting an error message that the com port cannot open.  I have a straight through rs232 cable connecting the radio to the computer as mentioned in the manual.  I have hardware flow control selected in the com port, the radio and yaac.  I have 9600 selected in both the radio and yaac.  When I try to enable the port, I get a java error saying "Unable to open serial port" .  I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.

I have even tried a null modem cable just in case but that does not work.  I am sure I must be missing something obvious.  Any thoughts would be welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Joe VA3JLF

Randy Allen

I assume since you mentioned the hardware flow control of the com port, you also ensured that the com port is also set to 9600 to match the radio and YAAC ?  I mention it as I've messed that up in the past.

Is there a possibility of something else is already using the com port?

And going back to basics, YAAC is trying to open the com port the cable is connected to?

(I'd be embarrassed to tell how many times I missed this when trouble shooting.  I'm sure that Murphy comes in behind me to change settings when I'm not looking).

What operating system are you using?

Hope this helps

73

Randy KA0AZS

On 9/23/2020 09:58, Joseph LaFerla wrote:
I am trying to connect my tmd700a with my aprs client yaac and am getting an error message that the com port cannot open.  I have a straight through rs232 cable connecting the radio to the computer as mentioned in the manual.  I have hardware flow control selected in the com port, the radio and yaac.  I have 9600 selected in both the radio and yaac.  When I try to enable the port, I get a java error saying "Unable to open serial port" .  I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.

I have even tried a null modem cable just in case but that does not work.  I am sure I must be missing something obvious.  Any thoughts would be welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Joe VA3JLF
_._,_._,_

David Head

Since very few computers have real RS-232 ports any more, I'm assuming you're using some kind of USB to RS-232 adapter.   If so, here's an anomaly I ran into a few weeks ago.

I have such an adapter, a Trendnet TU-9S if I remember right, which has the infamous Prolific chip set that everyone rags on and says doesn't work and so forth.   So I attempt to program in TS-2000 after a full reset a few weeks ago, and in spite of the setup being exactly the same as it was previously, I couldn't communicate with the TS-2000.   I tried lots of stuff, including putting a new TU-9s into the system.   Still wouldn't work.

Then I retrieved the cable from RT-systems that came with their programming software, put it in the line, and things started working.   I was able to program the TS-2000 with all the info I had saved previously.

Why did the old Prolific-based USB to RS-232 adapter stop working?   I can only speculate that the bunches of updates that Windows is continually receiving somehow messed with the USB communications.   They keep updating Win 10, and this and that stop working or work differently, it just keeps happening.   That might be the problem.

Dave Head
K8DH

At 09:58 AM 9/23/2020, you wrote:
I am trying to connect my tmd700a with my aprs client yaac and am getting an error message that the com port cannot open.  I have a straight through rs232 cable connecting the radio to the computer as mentioned in the manual.  I have hardware flow control selected in the com port, the radio and yaac.  I have 9600 selected in both the radio and yaac.  When I try to enable the port, I get a java error saying "Unable to open serial port" .  I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.

I have even tried a null modem cable just in case but that does not work.  I am sure I must be missing something obvious.  Any thoughts would be welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Joe VA3JLF

Doug Alderdice

I ran into the Prolific problem with an older Wouxon programming cable I have that apparently has the "wrong" Prolific board in it. It wasn't a problem with my older XP system, but it didn't work on my Win7 machine.

Googling told me it was due to counterfeit Prolific boards that some Chinese m'fr flooded the market with and Prolific was able to update their drivers such that they could detect a counterfeit board vs. one of their genuine ones and then refused to let the OS communicate with the counterfeit.

In the case of my Wouxon cable more Googling found me a DIY page whereby you can a order new USB/RS232 board -- I got it from Amazon -- and retrofit it into the Wouxon cable and I was back talking to those radios.

I would imagine a similar fix could be done on other cables and interfaces based on the counterfeit Prolific boards.

FWIW. YMMV.

73,

Doug, KA2WFT

At 09:58 AM 9/23/2020, you wrote:
I am trying to connect my tmd700a with my aprs client yaac and am getting an error message that the com port cannot open.  I have a straight through rs232 cable connecting the radio to the computer as mentioned in the manual.  I have hardware flow control selected in the com port, the radio and yaac.  I have 9600 selected in both the radio and yaac.  When I try to enable the port, I get a java error saying "Unable to open serial port" .  I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.

I have even tried a null modem cable just in case but that does not work.  I am sure I must be missing something obvious.  Any thoughts would be welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Joe VA3JLF

CHECK com port settings, baud rate etc, all must match (radio, yaac), make sure inter connecting cable is good, normally you need ground, xmit, rcve, but some require more,

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Silly I know but sometimes it happens, make sure your RS232 port is turned on and operating correctly in Windows Device Manager.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Joseph LaFerla

Hi Ron

Yes all this is correctly set up.  In discussions with yaac’s author, it appears that yaac runs a validation test on startup and does not enable the port unless the test is passed.  It has something to do since kenwoods use hardware flow control.  I am still struggling with this and will post my results as I can.

Joe

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Silly I know but sometimes it happens, make sure your RS232 port is turned on and operating correctly in Windows Device Manager.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Joseph LaFerla

Doug

I am using a “real” com port on my computer.  The kenwood radio requires all pins on the connector because it uses hardware flow control.   I am starting to suspect that my problem has to do with a validation check done by yaac while enabling the port.  What software were you using?  And were you using the D700 or d710?

Joe

> [...]

> differently, it just keeps happening. That might be the problem.

> Dave Head

> K8DH

> At 09:58 AM 9/23/2020, you wrote:

>> I am trying to connect my tmd700a with my aprs client yaac and am

>> getting an error message that the com port cannot open.  I have a

>> straight through rs232 cable connecting the radio to the computer as

>> mentioned in the manual.  I have hardware flow control selected in the

>> com port, the radio and yaac.  I have 9600 selected in both the radio

>> and yaac.  When I try to enable the port, I get a java error saying

>> "Unable to open serial port" .  I have tried everything I can think of

>> to no avail.

>> I have even tried a null modem cable just in case but that does not

>> work.  I am sure I must be missing something obvious.  Any thoughts

Doug Alderdice

I wasn't trying to use the Prolific interface with my TMD700, it was in the programming cable for my Wouxon radios.

I have successfully used a USB-RS232 dongle that provides all the control lines with my D700 and the Kenwood software. I don't know who made the dongle, however, I don't see any markings on it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

73,

Doug, KA2WFT

On 9/24/2020 6:02 PM, Joseph LaFerla wrote:
> [...]

> differently, it just keeps happening. That might be the problem.

> Dave Head

> K8DH

> At 09:58 AM 9/23/2020, you wrote:

>> I am trying to connect my tmd700a with my aprs client yaac and am

>> getting an error message that the com port cannot open.  I have a

>> straight through rs232 cable connecting the radio to the computer as

>> mentioned in the manual.  I have hardware flow control selected in the

>> com port, the radio and yaac.  I have 9600 selected in both the radio

>> and yaac.  When I try to enable the port, I get a java error saying

>> "Unable to open serial port" .  I have tried everything I can think of

>> to no avail.

>> I have even tried a null modem cable just in case but that does not

>> work.  I am sure I must be missing something obvious.  Any thoughts

Joseph LaFerla

HI David

Actually no, I have a real com port but I have had my share of troubles with the prolific chip.  I have two usb serial adapters to run my home automation software on my raspberry pi but otherwise have tried to steer clear of them if possible.  I still like “real” com ports.

Joe

At 09:58 AM 9/23/2020, you wrote:

I am trying to connect my tmd700a with my aprs client yaac and am getting an error message that the com port cannot open.  I have a straight through rs232 cable connecting the radio to the computer as mentioned in the manual.  I have hardware flow control selected in the com port, the radio and yaac.  I have 9600 selected in both the radio and yaac.  When I try to enable the port, I get a java error saying "Unable to open serial port" .  I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.

I have even tried a null modem cable just in case but that does not work.  I am sure I must be missing something obvious.  Any thoughts would be welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Joe VA3JLF

The problem isn't genuine Prolific Chip sets, it is the Chinese copy thst caused the problems, I have several of both and every Chinese k ock off fails! True Prolific Chip set software are upgradeable to Win 7, Win 10 by going to official Prolific site! Try them first,  they will let you know if fake chip set! Not one of my geniune Chip Sets has ever failed that a download from Prolific didnt fix immediately. Give them a try, you might be pleasantly surprised!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Chris Robinson KF6NFW DMR ID 3153250

I am curious who Powerwerx deals with, cause I baught a wouxon and cable and it worked great for several yrs, then suddenly it is no longer recognised. I have since bought a new cable, but feel rather swindled and cheated that a cable I bought from a reputable source turns out to be garbage, and no we arent offered a proper free replacement, no we are required to spend more.
 I have spoken with legal counsil, and there is a possibility of suit, as this seems to be a prolofic problem.