BU-353 GPS Reciever with D700?

jay_2904@...

Good evening all,

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with using the BU-353 GPS unit with a D700?

The BU-353 is a USB GPS, but I'm happy to chop the end off and re-wire it.

I did read somewhere that as the BU-353 is a USB device, it needs to be connected to a USB Host.  I'm wondering if this is the case?

I'm also happy to open the GPS unit up and tinker with the insides (bypass the USB interface?) if need be.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jayson

David Ranch

The main question with this specific GPS accessory is:

  - Confirm if the actual GPS receiver is serial based (pretty common) or native USB in it's internals?  If serial, where is the serial to USB converter?  I bet it's in the main body of the "puck"
  - If you can pull out the serial signals, are they at the right level for the D700?  Those "serial" signals might be a 3volts or 5volts when a real RS232 signal should be 12v
  - You'll need to figure out how to power the GPS unit

--David
KI6ZHD

Gary Warren

I have one Jay, which I bought off of Ebay. I don't have it with me at the moment but it has been chopped and now gets its feed frim a usb cigarette socket adapter and the output goes to the two/half mm plug into the D700. Works very well. The pin outs must be online somewhere. HTH
Gary M3GDW

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with using the BU-353 GPS unit with a D700?

The BU-353 is a USB GPS, but I'm happy to chop the end off and re-wire it.

I did read somewhere that as the BU-353 is a USB device, it needs to be connected to a USB Host.  I'm wondering if this is the case?

I'm also happy to open the GPS unit up and tinker with the insides (bypass the USB interface?) if need be.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jayson

jay_2904@...

Thanks David and Gary for the replies,

Gary - is it the BU-353 model that you're using?  Do you remember what was needed to be done to the BU-353 to get it to work other than chop the USB plug off and re-wire it to the D700 plug?  A few pictures of the wiring would be extremely helpful :)

Things like sorting out the power for it will be straight forward, it's the native USB or serial (as David mentions above) that I need to investigate.

Thank you