Topics

brief intro and a want

Eric Oyen

Hello all,
I just transitioned over from the ™-D700 yahoo group. It seems that messages are not getting to or from there for some time.

Anyway, a little about me…

My name is Eric. The call is n7zzt. I am a blind ham and active in local ham radio activities (or as much as I can do besides also being a blind athlete).

Now, for the want..
I am looking for a replacement control head for this radio, as the current unit has a fault in the VFO-A control. The volume either adjusts poorly, not at all or sometimes on it's own. It also has poor control of the squelch and sometimes won't respond when pressed to go into that VFO/memory bank. This is due to a cracked circuit board at the knob mounting point.

THe unit has a speech module, which I will transfer to the new control head (if I can ever find one) and since I am on a fixed income here, I am hoping to find one cheap (if that is possible).

Anyway, if any of you can help out, I would gladly appreciate the help.

thanks,

DE n7zzt Eric
phoenix, az

PGP fingerprint: 6DFB D6B0 3771 90F1 373E 570C 7EA2 1FF3 6B68 0386

Charles Doughtie

I think the speech is in the main unit, not the head. You say cracked circuit board - could it be the control?

IIRC both volume/squelch controls on the D700 head are easy plug-in replacements. I have been inside mine and replaced the  larger encoder assembly which required a bit of soldering. Parts were available back then, several years ago. PacParts lists:

Kenwood 881U08-7396-92

Volume/Squelch Control

$15.75
Find someone handy with a screwdriver! I think that is your part.

[...]

well, as I stated, I am a blind ham. So, soldering would be problematic without sighted help. From what I read, the speech chip is supposedly located inside the control head.

I was not aware that the knobs were a "plug-in" sort of item. guess I learn something new (again). :)

anyway, thanks for the info. It should help out locating some of the parts.

DE n7zzt Eric

On May 14, 2018, at 7:23 AM, Charles Doughtie via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Mike Rees

Hi Eric,
Unfortunately, the control head for the D700 was never available as a separate unit. The newer D710 does have control heads available. They can be used to convert the V71 to a D710 as well replacement.

The voice module is installed in the main body of the 700 and 710s.  Good news, the volume/squelch control is available from PacParts

I am located in Sun City.  I have a D700 as a backup radio in my go kit.  I will be glad to lend you the control head.  The bad news is I am traveling until the last week in June.  When I return we will get your radio up to snuff.

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 5:34 AM Eric Oyen <eric.oyen@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike
N6YSK

And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy."