Best cable for DATA use?

David Erickson

Hey guys,

I am a new owner of the TM-710G.

I purchased a USB 8 pin cable for the programming but I am not sure which cable to use for DATA. I am assuming that I need the DATA cable to access the TNC from my computer. Is that the case?

Thanks in advance, I love this radio.

--
Dave Erickson - k0dom

Dennis Yard

I use my RT Systems D-710 programming cable -  the USB-K5G.
Plugs into the back of the control head, not the radio body.

N1TEN
====================

On Thursday, March 12, 2020, 09:44:00 PM PDT, David Erickson <radio@...> wrote:

Hey guys,

I am a new owner of the TM-710G.

I purchased a USB 8 pin cable for the programming but I am not sure
which cable to use for DATA. I am assuming that I need the DATA cable to
access the TNC from my computer. Is that the case?

Thanks in advance, I love this radio.

--
Dave Erickson - k0dom

Mike Hickerson <w0mbh@...>

Hi Guys
Hey The RT System cable the USB K5G cable can be used for programming the radio using what ever program you want.  AND it can be used for DATA
by plugging it into the control head where the TNC is located.  So if you have two of those cables, like I have, then you can use the computer for data and
programming the radio at the same time as the computer will assign different com ports to each cable.  However you can use one ONE data program at a time.
Data includes, APRS, PACKET, WINLINK et all.  The same cable connected to the radio deck also will handle any firm ware updates offered by Kenwood.
So it is a multi purpose cable and well worth the money

Mike WBØMH

I use my RT Systems D-710 programming cable -  the USB-K5G.
Plugs into the back of the control head, not the radio body.

N1TEN
====================

On Thursday, March 12, 2020, 09:44:00 PM PDT, David Erickson <radio@...> wrote:

Hey guys,

I am a new owner of the TM-710G.

I purchased a USB 8 pin cable for the programming but I am not sure
which cable to use for DATA. I am assuming that I need the DATA cable to
access the TNC from my computer. Is that the case?

Thanks in advance, I love this radio.

--
Dave Erickson - k0dom

Mike Hickerson <w0mbh@...>

Hay Guys
As a follow up.  When getting ready to do a firmware up date, use what ever program you use for the radio, read the radio and then minimize that program.
Then follow the instructions to update the radio/control head.  Then you will be instructed to "RESET" the radio to its original factory settings.  THEN reinstall
the reading you just did and viola your radio is now updated and back to what you had all your settings at.
I have used this method for multiple D710G's for myself and friends who have the D710's.  Works every time.
There have been firmware updates for both the radio AND the control head for the TNC.  So it is best to have two of those USB-K5G cables.

Mike WBØMH