Topics

Backlight getting dimmer

JohnG <w9wy@...>

Anyone know a fix for a dimming backlight? I have mine set to full brightness in the menu, but over time full brightness is not that bright. Is there a replacement for the backlight??

Jim Shorney

Replace the LEDs.

--
Ham Radio NU0C
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.S.A.

"Give a man a URL, and he will learn for an hour; teach him to Google, and he will learn for a lifetime."

JohnG <w9wy@...>

While that sounds like a great idea I think the unit has a CCFL backlight module, not separate LEDs, or am I wrong on this? If anyone know please advise.

I have the dim setting at maximum warp (full brightness).

TNX.

--- In TMD700A@..., "Jim Shorney" <jshorney@...> wrote:

Replace the LEDs.

On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 03:24:27 -0000, JohnG wrote:

Anyone know a fix for a dimming backlight? I have mine set to full brightness in the menu, but over time full brightness is not that bright. Is there a replacement for the backlight??

--
Ham Radio NU0C
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.S.A.
TR7/RV7/R7A/L7, TR6/RV6, T4XC/R4C/L4B, NCL2000, SB104A, R390A, GT550A/RV550A, HyGain 3750, IBM PS/2 - all vintage, all the time!

"Give a man a URL, and he will learn for an hour; teach him to Google, and he will learn for a lifetime."

Jim Shorney

I'm sure it's LEDs. It seems to me that I took it apart once to see about
changing colors, but it turned out to be way too much trouble for something I
didn't know if I would like and therefor have to redo.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 22:57:21 -0000, JohnG wrote:

[...]

Brian Beuershausen

I believe the LCD backlighting is done by 6 or 7 LED's. I have two that
are intermittent and sometimes flicker, especially if they're on high
brightness. This has been going on for about 4 years. I'd love to replace
them (especially with green LED's) and have opened the control head a
couple of times.

The LED's for the buttons are easy to get at, but I chickened out on the
display ones because they're embedded in the LCD unit which is a separate
assembly and it doesn't look very friendly for internal access.

I'm fine with surface mount work, but I'm hoping somebody will pop out of
the woodwork someday and tell me that it's easy to replace these LED's. :-)

**

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jshorney
http://www.nebraskaghosts.org