Topics

ARES Alert System using DCS-Tones (was: DCS-Tones)

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

Ray,

I'm the ARES EC for Clay County (North Carolina), and we've got a "new" ARES
group, barely one-year old, that we're trying to build-up, and develop

As we implement a relationship with local County Emergency Management
(typically, the "served agency" for NC ARES county groups), I've wondered
about how to "alert" our ARES members in case of a local emergency/incident
which requires activation/deployment to emergency sites/shelters, etc.

For obvious reasons (both reliability and time-factor), I don't want to rely
on the cell or land-line phone system. We will have a 2-meter repeater up
very soon for our ARES group, so that could be utilized for notification
purposes.

Can you describe in greater detail the system you use "...on our ARES net for
silent monitoring for emergencies," assuming that you use it as a method of
"alerting" your members? (Unless I've misunderstood your use of that system.)

Thanks,

Larry J. Ford
KG4GPJ
Clay County ARES EC

From: Robin <kv4al@...>
Subject: [TMD700A] DCS-Tones
To: TMD700A@...
Date: Sunday, December 16, 2012, 10:43 AM

Special requirement for the DCS.

Does anyone know of a way to turn on the tone so that it remain on for the
length of time that you press the button on the mic when in transmitting
mode.  I need to be able to send a Long A and B tones of 2 to 3 seconds to
activate my control receiver on my repeater.

At present I have found no way to make the change in the manual to cause the
tone to last longer than about 1/2 second.  Help !

Thanks for your input.

Robin KV4AL

ray2amazon@...

Larry, I put out some bad info, the LiTZ is only to wake people up, we use a CTSS for all radios that are monitoring or involved in an emergency on our simplex check-in frequency so that monitoring can be silent.