From: "kf7vib" <kf7vib@...>
To: TMD700A@...
Subject: [TMD700A] APRS system-test question

So, I got my radio all dialed in and want to send a text to myself and a
couple friends through my/our email accounts.

I'm following the instructions but no messages are going through.

Any thoughts on the proper syntax would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Herb

The easiest but perhaps not the best way, is to send a message to EMAIL
(must be all caps), then in the text part, enter the email address, then
leave one space and the short message. Must fit on one line. You would
have to repeat the process to send another message to another email address.
This is short and sweet but can accomplish the job if all you want to do is
send a short message, like listing a frequency you want the party to come up
on.

To do more elaborate and longer messages, you will need to use one of the
other systems like WinLink but you need to establish and account first via
RF.....

Hope this gets you going,

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

From: "kf7vib" <kf7vib@...>
To: TMD700A@...

So, I got my radio all dialed in and want to send a text to myself and
couple friends through my/our email accounts.

I'm following the instructions but no messages are going through.

Any thoughts on the proper syntax would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

Herb,

Is what you describe below for the TM-D700A in APRS mode or what?

I have successfully interfaced my TM-D700A with RMS Express (part of the Winlink 2K system) in packet mode, but because I cannot hit a Packet RMS server from my QTH, have been unable to test it further.

Larry J. Ford
KG4GPJ

The easiest but perhaps not the best way, is to send a message to EMAIL
(must be all caps), then in the text part, enter the email address, then
leave one space and the short message. Must fit on one line. You would
have to repeat the process to send another message to another email address.
This is short and sweet but can accomplish the job if all you want to do is
send a short message, like listing a frequency you want the party to come up
on.

To do more elaborate and longer messages, you will need to use one of the
other systems like WinLink but you need to establish and account first via
RF.....

Hope this gets you going,

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

Herb

Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

The easiest but perhaps not the best way, is to send a message to EMAIL
(must be all caps), then in the text part, enter the email address, then
leave one space and the short message. Must fit on one line. You would
have to repeat the process to send another message to another email
address.
This is short and sweet but can accomplish the job if all you want to do
is
send a short message, like listing a frequency you want the party to
come up
on.

To do more elaborate and longer messages, you will need to use one of
the
other systems like WinLink but you need to establish and account first
via
RF.....

Hope this gets you going,

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

Herb,

I guess this is obvious, but wouldn't sending a message via APRS addressed to "EMAIL" (as you described) require that the APRS node you're sending it to have an internet connection, OR, if it doesn't, that it will send the message on to a node that does have an internet connection?

Here in the mountains of SW North Carolina, the only APRS node I can hit does not, to my knowledge, have internet access.

Larry J. Ford
KG4GPJ

Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

Jerome Kutche

Hi Larry. I have sent emails from my Kenwood THD7AG for years. They get
there.. Eventually it will get to an APRS Igate and be delivered.. 73 jk

So, I got my radio all dialed in and want to send a text to myself
and
couple friends through my/our email accounts.

I'm following the instructions but no messages are going through.

Any thoughts on the proper syntax would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

<mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>

Jerome Kutche

And Larry.. This method of email. and has nothing to do with WInlink or
RMS.

73 jk

So, I got my radio all dialed in and want to send a text to myself
and
couple friends through my/our email accounts.

I'm following the instructions but no messages are going through.

Any thoughts on the proper syntax would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

<mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

Yes, I use RMSE/Winlink, and understand that system has nothing to do with APRS.

Here in the mountains of SW North Carolina, there is only one APRS node, and I don't believe it is an APRS I-Gate, although it does have very wide coverage at roughly 5500 feet MSL (Joanna Bald, near Andrews, NC). APRS is not in wide use here, so I had forgotten all about the APRS I-Gates.

I guess down in the "flatlands" with the greater proliferation of APRS nodes, I-Gates, and the like, e-mail via APRS would work a lot better than here.

I think I'll dig out the manual, read up on the "E-Mail via APRS" protocols, and see if I can see out an e-mail via the APRS node on Joanna Bald.

Larry J. Ford
KG4GPJ

And Larry.. This method of email. and has nothing to do with WInlink or
RMS.

73 jk

Yes, what I described is part of the way APRS works. It can be done that
way with any Kenwood APRS Radio or any APRS computer program. I don't own a
Yaesu but I presume it would work with their APRS radios too.

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

Jerome Kutche

Give it a try if it can reach any other APRS Digis chances are it will
reach an Igate. and once at the igate it will get routed to email..
Eventually.

And Larry.. This method of email. and has nothing to do with WInlink or
RMS.

73 jk

So, I got my radio all dialed in and want to send a text to myself
and
couple friends through my/our email accounts.

I'm following the instructions but no messages are going through.

Any thoughts on the proper syntax would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

<mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
<mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
List owner: TMD700A-owner@...
<mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>
<mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>

<mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
<mailto:TMD700A-unsubscribe%40onelist.com>
List owner: TMD700A-owner@... <mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>
<mailto:TMD700A-owner%40onelist.com>

ve7gtc

I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!

Gus K2GT VE7GTC

kf7vib

OK,

Thanks for the info, I will try it tonight.

TO: EMAIL

email@address short message

I will get back in/on with a report.

--- In TMD700A@..., "ve7gtc" <fertree@...> wrote:

I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!

Gus K2GT VE7GTC

kf7vib

I just had the same successful results, fantastic and thanks. I am still working on getting my keyboard all dialed in but I just made leaps and bounds; thanks so much!

--- In TMD700A@..., "ve7gtc" <fertree@...> wrote:

I just tried it. Simple and easy other than the dialing in the letters part! I had the email in a couple of seconds. Thanks Herb!

Gus K2GT VE7GTC

KH2TJ

From: "Todd" <kh2tj@...>
To: <TMD700A@...>