From:"bayjird_j@... [TMD700A]"
Date:Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 11:36 AM
Subject:[TMD700A] APRS map display options with ipad

I am currently doing a new install of a tmd710g in my pickup.

I was hoping to use an iPad mini I had lying around for my map display. Has anyone found a cable/app configuration for accomplishing this?

Jay KC7JA

Shawn

I have pocker packet on my iPad and would love to know this answer for a d700

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"bayjird_j@... [TMD700A]"
Date:Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 11:36 AM

I am currently doing a new install of a tmd710g in my pickup.

I was hoping to use an iPad mini I had lying around for my map display. Has anyone found a cable/app configuration for accomplishing this?

Jay KC7JA

Jay Allen

Still bouncing around ideas for APRS display for my radio.

I've heard of Winbook tablets being implemented for this purpose.

I think it only has a mini usb port to connect.

Has anyone tried this setup and if so, what cable/adapters did you have to kluge together to make it work?

R. Patrick Ryan

Hmmm. if you had a Windows CE machine, the answer would be to use the free program from APRSIS32CE author, but you would have to have downloaded the OSM maps from use on the internet.

Alas, I only have a Kindle tablet, but have not hacked that to see how that would work.

73 de Pat KC6VVT

--
R. Patrick Ryan
ARS: KC6VVT Grid: EN51lf

agcme2002

Another option is to get one of the Microsoft Surface tablets (except for the RT) whcih run standard Windows, support normal hardware, and has a standard sized USB Type A port on the side (as well as Bluetooth, WiFi and touchscreen).  You can run the desktop version of APRSISCE or you could reformat it and install Linux.

The older Surface 2 should have a desirable price range now that the Surface 4 has been announced (and of course the Surface 3 has been out for some time).