TM-D700 powering itself off

Philip Salley

Check this to assure OFF condition Peter.  I use that feature on in mobile to prevent accidental battery drain.  Phil / K4PO

AUTOMATIC POWER OFF (APO)
Automatic Power Off is a background function that
monitors whether any buttons or keys have been
pressed, or whether the Tuning control has been turned.
After 3 hours pass with no operations, APO turns OFF
the power. However, 1 minute before the power turns
OFF, “APO” appears and blinks, and a series of warning
tones sound.
Access Menu 1–9–3 (APO) and select “ON”.
Note: If any settings are changed during the 3 hour period while APO is
ON, the timer resets. When you stop changing the settings, the timer
begins counting again from 0.

Suryono Adisoemarta

Check the head cable, mine might turn itself off if I wiggle the cable. I plan to make my own replacement cable.

73 de Yono YD0NXX

On Dec 11, 2020, at 1:52 AM, Peter <Ve9nps@...> wrote:

Lately my D700 has started powering itself off.  Radio is in shack, powered by good PS.  I hear the speaker pop as if the power button has been touched and the radio powers itself down.  Yesterday heard the "pop" from the speaker and turned around in time to see the display go out.

Radio is APRS mode with 30min TX interval, no GPS attached as POS is known in shack.

I looked around for "Power off" subjects in the list an don't immediately see anyone with the same concern.

Is there a known issue that could be contributing to this?  Radio was purchased in approx. 2006/2007 and used by my father until is passing in 2015.  I've had it in the shack next to my TS-480 since then with no other issues.

I do leave a RT-Systems USB cable attached as I use the radio for WINLINK and that stays attached to the laptop.  Potential issue there?

Any insight would be appreciated!

73 Peter VE1PS/VE9NPS

LeonardKeepers

Hello Group i would check the interface cable between the control head and the main body of the radio.i have found the interface cable between my control head and the  main body of my radio causes the same problem.positioning my cable a certain way into the control head my radio will power on and off.

k3orw

On 12/10/2020 4:21 PM, Randall ~ AE7RJ wrote:
If it is power connection quality, it could happen at APRS transmit time.  When the radio pulls more current, voltage to the radio drops to the point where it shuts off ...  Maybe.

On 12/10/2020 10:52, Peter wrote:
[...]

Randall ~ AE7RJ

[...]

Randy Allen

I had a similar issue years ago, but it was with a D-700 in a truck, with the attendant vibrations.  Fix was re-doing the power connector on the power cable feeding the radio for a tighter connection.

So if  nothing else, I'd look at the power connectors to make sure they are tight and maybe clean their contacts.

Hope this helps

73

Randy KA0AZS

On 12/10/2020 13:52, Peter wrote:
[...]