Topics

FX.25?

Mike KQ9P

Has anyone heard any rumors about Kenwood adding FX.25 support (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FX.25_Forward_Error_Correction) to the firmware for the D700/710?  The next release of Direwolf (V1.6) includes FX.25 support, so it will be easy to add to VHF/UHF Winlink gateways.

Mike KQ9P

David Ranch

Hello Mike,

I think we have a one in a million chance of seeing Kenwood add new protocol support like AX.25 v2.2 and FX.25 support.   Btw.. in addition to Direwolf supporting both of these new technologies, UZ7HO's soundmodem does too.  Both also support additional modes like 2400bps, 3600bps, and 4800bps which are dramatically more robust than the G3RUH 9600bps mode.  They also support modes faster than 9600bps but they generally are using the same FSK technology as found in the 9600bps mode.

--David
KI6ZHD

On 05/05/2020 08:17 PM, Mike McPherson wrote:
Has anyone heard any rumors about Kenwood adding FX.25 support (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FX.25_Forward_Error_Correction) to the firmware for the D700/710?  The next release of Direwolf (V1.6) includes FX.25 support, so it will be easy to add to VHF/UHF Winlink gateways.

Mike KQ9P

Mike KQ9P

That's my gut instinct, as well, but I was hoping someone would have inside information to the contrary.  It's worth a try, so I sent the attached email to Kenwood amateur radio support just now.

73, Mike KQ9P

Mike KQ9P

And, wow, I already got a response!  He said he would pass it on.  Maybe if lots of us write something will happen.  If Kenwood isn't interested, perhaps they would open source the TNC code...