710G External GPS

Joe, KO8V

I just acquired a D710G.  I'm using an external GPS since the internal is not great at getting a GPS signal indoors.  I set up for the external GPS and I know it's getting position information.  The GPS icon is blinking and when I receive APRS position reports I get distance and bearing (indicating the radio knows where it is).  However when I go to POS and scroll to the GPS Satellite information, the display shows no satellites.  Does any one know what I setting I need to work with to get this to display the satellite information from the external GPS

Thanks

Joe, KO8V

bobsayers2000

I think you need Menu 602, set GPS PORT-INPUT to "GPS".

Bob, G8IYK
APRS from the wonderful Norfolk Broads

Need to define a location? Ask for a What3Words address!
https://what3words.com

On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 at 1:34, Joe, KO8V
<jgdevince@...> wrote:
I just acquired a D710G.  I'm using an external GPS since the internal is not great at getting a GPS signal indoors.  I set up for the external GPS and I know it's getting position information.  The GPS icon is blinking and when I receive APRS position reports I get distance and bearing (indicating the radio knows where it is).  However when I go to POS and scroll to the GPS Satellite information, the display shows no satellites.  Does any one know what I setting I need to work with to get this to display the satellite information from the external GPS

Thanks

Joe, KO8V

bobsayers2000

Reading your posting again, Joe, you may have already tried Menu 602 as data is obviously getting through, but that's the only reference I can see in the manual.

Bob, G8IYK
APRS from the wonderful Norfolk Broads

Need to define a location? Ask for a What3Words address!
https://what3words.com

<jgdevince@...> wrote:
I just acquired a D710G.  I'm using an external GPS since the internal is not great at getting a GPS signal indoors.  I set up for the external GPS and I know it's getting position information.  The GPS icon is blinking and when I receive APRS position reports I get distance and bearing (indicating the radio knows where it is).  However when I go to POS and scroll to the GPS Satellite information, the display shows no satellites.  Does any one know what I setting I need to work with to get this to display the satellite information from the external GPS

Thanks

Joe, KO8V

Joe, KO8V

Yup, tried that already.  Thx for looking.

Joe, KO8V

Jess Haas

The radio receives position from the external GPS but I believe the Satellite info screen only works for the internal GPS

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020, 5:34 PM Joe, KO8V <jgdevince@...> wrote:
I just acquired a D710G.  I'm using an external GPS since the internal is not great at getting a GPS signal indoors.  I set up for the external GPS and I know it's getting position information.  The GPS icon is blinking and when I receive APRS position reports I get distance and bearing (indicating the radio knows where it is).  However when I go to POS and scroll to the GPS Satellite information, the display shows no satellites.  Does any one know what I setting I need to work with to get this to display the satellite information from the external GPS

Thanks

Joe, KO8V

Jeff

I think this is correct. For the 710G to display satellite info, the external GPS unit would have to provide that info. I don't think that the protocol(s) used in this configuration from the external GPS unit carry that information.

Jeff
N5TEV

I use a Garmin GPSMAP-478, why vecause I had it for years, it has all the sat data on screen! What type of gps are you using?

Ron K1VSC

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

bobsayers2000

It's certainly beginning to look as though the data may not show when using the external GPS, Joe. As it calculates the bearing and distance quite OK from that data, there can't really be any sensible reason for it. I wonder if it could be fixed with a firmware update  -  KENWOOD, ARE YOU LISTENING?

I was a little surprised, however, when you said originally that you needed the external unit. My internal one is notably sensitive even when deep inside the house, and initial setup is fast, even when the radio has been switched off for a couple of weeks.

Bob, G8IYK
APRS from the wonderful (but strangely quiet) Norfolk Broads

Need to define a location? Ask for a What3Words address!
https://what3words.com

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 at 15:05, Ron Pariseau via groups.io
<k1vsc@...> wrote:
I use a Garmin GPSMAP-478, why vecause I had it for years, it has all the sat data on screen! What type of gps are you using?

Ron K1VSC

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Joe P. N3CKF

The satellite info is contained in different coded strings than the position information from a GPS.
The Kenwood would have to decode that information (and the external GPS would have to provide it).
I know that the GPS12C does provide it as well as a couple of the other USB GPS units i have (GlobalSat BU-353 and BU353S4).

One way to find out is to hook your external GPS up to a computer on a serial port and see if you get any strings that start with GSA or GSV

Those are the ones that drive those "satellite status displays" that a lot of GPS units have
  -jcp-

<k1vsc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I use a Garmin GPSMAP-478, why vecause I had it for years, it has all the sat data on screen! What type of gps are you using?

Ron K1VSC

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Joe, KO8V

I am using a Garmin GPS-15HV.  It does provide the strings for showing individual satellite position.   I used the same unit with an iCom 5100 and it would show the satellite positions. I guess Kenwood decided to ignore those strings.  I also notice they don't send the incoming strings out on P.MON screen (as it was done on the 700).  It only shoes the proprietary Kenwood position string.  I would have though Kenwood would have treated the external GPS the same as the internal, but I guess not.

Joe, KO8V