Topics

TM-D710G TNC and VHF Winlink

Dennis Yard

Ladies and Gents,

I would like to extend my use of Winlink from strictly HF/Winmor using an FT-857 to VHF using the D710G's built-in TNC.

Would anyone like to point me to a configuration table, drawings or procedures for initial setup of the D710G?

warmest regards,

Dennis Yard
N1TEN
San Diego, CA
ARES EC San Diego
CERT San Diego
Skywarn
San Diego Bloodbank

Dennis Yard

On Sat, Sep 2, 2017 at 2:18 PM, hamandrovers@... [TMD700A]
wrote:

Ladies and Gents,

I would like to extend my use of Winlink from strictly HF/Winmor using an FT-857 to VHF using the D710G's built-in TNC.

Would anyone like to point me to a configuration table, drawings or procedures for initial setup of the D710G?

warmest regards,

Dennis Yard
N1TEN
San Diego, CA
ARES EC San Diego
CERT San Diego
Skywarn
San Diego Bloodbank

Jess Haas

Its rather simple. You just need kenwoods serial cable hooked up to a computer. You can use a USB to serial adapter or if you want to get fancy a bluetooth to serial adapter. Then set the radio to TNC mode and run the Winlink software.

-Jess
K5LLI

On Sep 2, 2017 2:17 PM, "hamandrovers@... [TMD700A]" <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Ladies and Gents,

I would like to extend my use of Winlink from strictly HF/Winmor using an FT-857 to VHF using the D710G's built-in TNC.

Would anyone like to point me to a configuration table, drawings or procedures for initial setup of the D710G?

warmest regards,

Dennis Yard
N1TEN
San Diego, CA
ARES EC San Diego
CERT San Diego
Skywarn
San Diego Bloodbank

R. Patrick Ryan

Jess K5LLI - Thanks for this, as I do not have the TM-D710 model.

I am able to run WinLink 2000 with my Kenwood TS-2000 radio connected with a direct serial cable to an older desktop, or a more modern notebook computer. The TS-2000 radio has a built in TNC supposedly the same as the TM-D700  without the APRS mode.

Another thing, I have used my TM-D700 mobile with the built -in TNC to send Winlink 2000 multi-line email without a computer/keyboard. Good for the emergency sitrep communication without any file attachments, but slower than using a keyboard. Search for APRSlink for this technique that allows 'last-mile' Internet doe multiline email with APRS.

73  de Pat KC6VVT

R. Patrick Ryan
ARS: KC6VVT, ASEC/IL, OES/IL, Grid: EN51lf,
email: kc6vvt@...
Facebook for ham related:  http://www.facebook.com/KC6VVT/info