d700 dead AGAIN

David Smith <kd6zxe@...>

Took the radio into Kenwood mid december because the radio wouldn't
turn on, nothing, no display. They gave it back to me after replacing
a surface mount fuse and doing a tuneup of the radio. Now that I
just got to enjoying the radio while tuned up properly as well (audio
levels are perfect now!) the display is gone AGAIN.

Has anyone found any details out about thise surface mount fuse, what
values it is, and any suggestions for how to mount an external one?
This is really lame.

My best guess is it has to do with the fact that every time I get out
of the truck I disconnect the face and put it away, as I don't want
it to be a reason for someone to break in. (Here in Mexico.)

Dave

Pete AE5PL

If you disconnect the display every time, make sure that no power is
going to your radio (radio on a the switched side of your ignition).
Otherwise, there is always power going to the front panel and you will
keep blowing the fuse.

Looking at the parts list for the panel, my guess is the "fuse" is
actually a diode. According to the parts list, it is a LFB01.

Hope this helps.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete@...

Posted At: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 6:40 PM
Subject: [TMD700A] d700 dead AGAIN

Has anyone found any details out about thise surface mount fuse, what
values it is, and any suggestions for how to mount an external one?
This is really lame.

My best guess is it has to do with the fact that every time I get out
of the truck I disconnect the face and put it away, as I don't want
it to be a reason for someone to break in. (Here in Mexico.)

Martin Maxwell <maxwell679@...>

How is the radio connected to the cars electrical? If it is connected throught the fuse block you could be surging the fuse/diode when you start the car. I connect mine direct to the battery, have never had any problems. Turn the radio off before turning the car off, and turn it ON AFTER starting the engine. That way you reduce the possibility of a power surge during starting.

Martin

Took the radio into Kenwood mid december because the radio wouldn't
turn on, nothing, no display. They gave it back to me after replacing
a surface mount fuse and doing a tuneup of the radio. Now that I
just got to enjoying the radio while tuned up properly as well (audio
levels are perfect now!) the display is gone AGAIN.

Has anyone found any details out about thise surface mount fuse, what
values it is, and any suggestions for how to mount an external one?
This is really lame.

My best guess is it has to do with the fact that every time I get out
of the truck I disconnect the face and put it away, as I don't want
it to be a reason for someone to break in. (Here in Mexico.)

Dave

Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@...

Jay Rutherford <k1uc@...>

Really? I have live power to my TM-D700A box all the time (in the trunk,
but wired directly into the battery), and often remove the panel from its
mount when parked. I've never had a problem with this in well over a
year. I've even disconnected the panel a number of times with the radio
turned on.

I think the problem lies elsewhere, perhaps in a defective cable
between the box and the front panel.

Jay K1UC

AE5PL Lists wrote:

Otherwise, there is always power going to the front panel and you will
keep blowing the fuse.

Steve Wilson <kf6wax@...>

I used to turn my radio OFF and ON religiously 3 years ago but for the last
few years (almost 3 now) just leave the radio switched on all the time when
I am at the store ect.....no problems in more than 3 years of doing this
connected direct to the battery!

73s
Steve, KF6WAX PHX Igate sysop

Took the radio into Kenwood mid december because the radio wouldn't
turn on, nothing, no display. They gave it back to me after replacing
a surface mount fuse and doing a tuneup of the radio. Now that I
just got to enjoying the radio while tuned up properly as well (audio
levels are perfect now!) the display is gone AGAIN.

Has anyone found any details out about thise surface mount fuse, what
values it is, and any suggestions for how to mount an external one?
This is really lame.

My best guess is it has to do with the fact that every time I get out
of the truck I disconnect the face and put it away, as I don't want
it to be a reason for someone to break in. (Here in Mexico.)

Dave

Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@...

Service.

Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@...

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

David Smith <kd6zxe@...>

It is connected to an auxiliary fuse block under the hood, which has
big fat cables going to the battery.
Your power surge idea is a possibility, but if that were the case,
when I went to turn it on and it was dead, it would have come on and
then not come back when I started the car.
I don't see how there could be a power surge problem when turning the
car off, either.

--- In TMD700A@..., "Martin Maxwell" <maxwell679@c...>
wrote:
[...]

Dale Blanchard <wa7ixk@...>

The fuse is a surface mount fuse. F-902. 1.8 amp #925. I have mine bridged with a piece of small buss wire that came with my RCA mulimeter. They use 1/4 inch of it for a fuse. On mine the control head cable was defective and the shield would short to the other pin when disconecting it. The shild is next to the 12 v line. It is a bad design. I cut mine off and spliced a short section of handset curly cord to it. I did not have a crimper or I would have fixed it.
I have since plugged and unpluged it many times with power on and off with no problems.
When using it in the house and programing it I use a standard telephone handset cord cut into with a telephone line cord plug attached as I have a crimper for that. The other half goes on my motorcycle.

AE5PL Lists wrote:

If you disconnect the display every time, make sure that no power is
going to your radio (radio on a the switched side of your ignition).
Otherwise, there is always power going to the front panel and you will
keep blowing the fuse.

Looking at the parts list for the panel, my guess is the "fuse" is
actually a diode. According to the parts list, it is a LFB01.

Hope this helps.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete@...

Posted At: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 6:40 PM

David Smith <kd6zxe@...>

I wonder, instead of cutting the factory cable, would it make sense
to use a handset extension cable?

pete@a...